What I've learned after 5 years, 80 pounds of fat loss and 20 pounds of muscle gain

(Simon Springer) #220

Thanks Polly, couldn’t have started without my Coach, but now I’m flying!

(Simon Springer) #221

Thanks Susan! I feel amazing!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #222

Nicely done!

(Jane) #223

You look SO MUCH HEALTHIER!!

The inflammation from a SAD diet is so obvious in before-and-after pics. Including mine!!!

Hi, thank you for your post. I started 12 days ago and for me is not hard because I need to loose weight. I removed all sugars and carbs. I have a question…
We are looking for loss fat, but we are giving to our body a lot of fat. As well I was doing intermittent fast (eating once a day) and two o three coffees…
My question is, is better to eat all the meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner…) with all the fat and no carbs or is better fasting, letting the body get your fat?.
I am on 84kg and after 12 days I lost just 2kg.
I think I am doing something wrong. I am not feeling headaches or flu… I felt headache just 1 day.
Could someone help me?
Thanks

(Susan) #225

Welcome to the forum, Nur.

The basics of Keto to start are to:

Eat 20 grams or less of carbs, eat proteins and fats, and lots of water, and absolutely no sugar. Read labels to make sure there are no sugars. Keep up your electrolytes as well.

Thank you Momof5. That is what I am doing. I will keep doing it maybe I need more time to feel something. Thanks

(Marianne) #227

Well done!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #228

Yeah, it does sound weird, doesn’t it? Dr. Jason Fung explains it this way: “We burn what we eat. When we eat sugar (carbohydrate), we burn sugar. So if we want to burn fat, we need to eat fat.”

That’s a cute way to put it, but the real issue is the limiting of carbohydrate. Carbohydrate stimulates insulin production, and insulin is the hormone that tells the body to store fat, so if we want to let the fat out of our fat tissue, we need to lower insulin. We lower insulin by eating less carbohydrate. Your actual carbohydrate limit may be higher than 20 g/day, but start eating no more than that much carbohydrate each day, and you are practically guaranteed to get into ketosis and start burning fat.

So if you are not going to eat carbohydrate, what should you eat? Well, just continue eating the same amount of protein, for now, and replace all those missing calories from carbohydrate with calories from fat. Fat has almost no effect on our insulin level, which makes it a safe source of energy. Fat also has more than twice the number of calories per gram as carbohydrate does, so it takes a lot less to satisfy us. Eat enough protein and fat at each meal so that you are not hungry again for quite some time. Don’t eat again until you are hungry again. As you learn to listen to your body, your body will start telling you how much to eat.

(Jane) #229

First off… breathe. 4 lbs in 12 days is a great start!

This is a long journey, not a crash diet. Don’t force fat. Only eat enough fat that you aren’t hungry in between meals so you don’t snack. Controlling insulin response is THEY KEY to keto and this is done by converting your body over to burning fats instead of sugars for energy and limiting your insulin spikes so you “feed” on your body fat - not plate fat. Or store the carby crap as fat.

Thank you. I start to understand it.

(Mr Self Destruct) #231

Hi

I’ve just started keto. From what I understand, a big difference to other diets is that a cheat day isn’t really a good thing. Is it a case of your body being taken out of a ketogenic state, meaning that you are essentially starting all over again afterwards?

(Steak and iron) #232

Keto doesn’t work if you don’t do keto. The reason so many other diets incorporate cheat days is because the diet itself is so low satiety and unsatisfying so a break is needed or you’ll burn out. It’s probably smartest that you make your “cheat day” a day of higher calories or maybe some keto junk food like cakes and cookies but staying in ketosis.

I only break ketosis for occasions where the health effects are outweighed by the specialness of the occasion like an anniversary meal at a fancy restaurant or international travel where I’ll never be able to try some regional delicacy I’ll never see again.

(Mr Self Destruct) #233

Cheers, confirms what I was thinking I’ll leave my actual all in cheat day for when I hit my bodyfat % goal.

(Susan) #234

Hi, welcome to the forum. Once you are into the Keto lifestyle, you will find that your taste buds change, your cravings change, and that you are full and satisfied after eating. You can enjoy your choice of proteins: steak, ground beef, bacon, eggs, chicken, fish, pork, etc. and some low carb vegetables, some fats, lots of water, and keep your salt up, as long as you keep your carbs around the 20gram marker, you are good =). I am sure that you will find you will feel nice and full and will be enjoying yummy, real food =).

My opinion on cheating - I believe that it sets your progress waaaaay back, especially in the beginning. I’m the type of person that needs to have things under control and cheating would be like failing on the new woe I chose to stick to, because I feel and look better than I have in years. Pizza and bread just made me chubby, don’t need them anymore. :wink: Maybe you will feel the same later on :slight_smile:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #238

Very good writing, and mostly true for myself as well.
About the only thing here that isn’t true for me, is that I don’t count anything. And “it’s not easy” for me to snack on something with carbs in it, and before I know it, I’ve had too many carbs… Because if that something has even a carb or two in it, I know it when I start, and only have a couple bites of it, or don’t eat it at all. Example; There has been a big jar of Skippy natural peanut butter sitting on my counter for weeks. Haven’t touched it. Hate to throw it away, but I think it has like 3gms carbs per tbspn… And I used to eat like 4 tbsn (in one big blob on the spoon :grinning:) with pure honey poored over it. Pretty sure that would put me way over… I’ll probably throw that jar of PB away soon… Or give it to a homeless person.

And here’s another thing; I’m not going about my day, trying to make sure I get exactly 20gms of carbs, but not 21 :grinning: lol
If I happen to only get 6 or 8 grams, that’s fine too.
BTW, I’m doing great with keto. Been doing this for about 10 weeks, and lost 30 lbs. Just eating breakfast and dinner, and often going 14-20 hours between dinner and breakfast with eating a bite of anything :slightly_smiling_face:

(Susan) #239

I agree wholeheartedly with this, excellent post.

We can make Keto Pizza and Keto bread if we really crave these; I have not done this yet. I don’t think that I will be for quite some time; either, as I have decided until I have lost a lot more weight, that I just want to stick to my very regimented eating for now.

(Katie Moe) #240

I never thought pasta would release it’s grip on me. I am astonished at how I don’t crave it anymore. While I still have to find strategies in social situations and restaurants (was invited to a vegan Mexican restaurant this week and there wasn’t one thing on the menu for me), I am amazed, and grateful, how I don’t feel a need to “cheat” or cycle with carbs.

(Jane) #241

I only miss bread. Pasta is tasteless to me and the trade off to get to eat full fat cream sauces is worth it for me.

I made Instant Pot Butter Chicken tonight for tomorrow’s dinner. Figured it would be better after sitting in the sauce overnight. The sauce has 4 oz butter and 1/2 cup heavy cream and lots of garam masala! It makes double the sauce you need so I froze half of it and next time I want Butter Chicken (or pork) just have to throw some meat in the IP for 10-12 min and thaw out the sauce.