What fat do you use to pan/shallow fry?

Personally I’ve been using lard since I first started keto because it’s cheaper, people won’t steal it (in uni accommodation) and has a very neutral flavour, plus I wanted to see what it’s like as we used to use it extensively 40-50 years ago and before.

What fat do you use to pan/shallow fry?

Usually bacon fat, coconut oil, or butter, depending on what I’m pan frying and what level of heat I plan to use. Occasionally, but far less frequently, olive oil.

(Jessica) #3

Butter or coconut oil usually. Olive oil when I think it will taste better.

Lard easy choice if you’re frying at any depth beyond covering the bottom of the skillet.

Many use it in electric deep fat friers. And it keeps well if you strain out the “leavings”

(Adriana) #5

Bacon fat, butter, olive oil and rarely coconut oil.

Been thinking of using lard as well, but for me it has a really strong taste.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #6

Olive oil, avocado oil, butter, tallow. In that order, basically.

Ghee, coconut oil, dripping.

(TJ Borden) #8

I was using tallow as my primary but I’ve changed over to lard since I was frying so much pork belly anyway, my tallow was slowing turning to mostly lard anyway.

(Deborah ) #9

I really like using lard. I first bought the smaller block of it, then finally caved and bought the bucket. :slight_smile:

I also use bacon grease (if I want more flavor), and ghee, occasionally butter if I’m not cooking at a higher heat.

Sounds like the body composition change from hell.

(Bob M) #11

Ghee, duck fat are good. If you have tallow that’s good too.

(Bob M) #12

I try not to fry with olive oil, using it after cooking instead.

(Bunny) #13

Various post I made on the topic if you would like to read:

Example: Non-hydrogenated Lard (What was probably used 40-50+ years ago…)

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/oxidized-fat/58255/4?u=atomicspacebunny

(Bob M) #14

Oh yeah, if you cook a goose, you can render goose fat too, which is good.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Holy transubstantiation, Batman! That’s quite an achievement, since lard is pigfat and tallow is from beeves. :grinning:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

I’m the opposite of @Adriana, since for me it’s tallow that has the flavor and lard that is neutral.

In any case, I fry with bacon grease or tallow, by preference, since the lard available in my area is all loaded with preservatives and other funny stuff. For some purposes, however, you just can’t beat the flavor and texture of butter. One of the things I regret about this way of eating is that I’ve always wanted to taste pie crust made with lard, and now I never will.

I’m of two minds about coconut oil, because I don’t trust what they do to the refined stuff, and I usually don’t want coconut flavor in the food I cook from using the unrefined.

(TJ Borden) #17

Right… what was happening was I’d put tallow in my deep fryer, but deep frying pork belly was rendering so much extra fat that every few rounds, I’d have to drain some of the fat from the fryer. After a while, it was pretty clear that most of what was left in the fryer is lard.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

Hilarious! You should put that in the "You know you’re a ketoer . . . " thread.

(Jeff) #19

Lard baby!!!

I feel very sad for you right now. :laughing: