What did you keto today? Part VI...The son of the cousin of the wife of the GMO crop of the inbred corn crop, whilst the siblings sat on their behinds drinking soda pop

food

@Shinita
Looks great, I love the flower. I love Quark too but we get very little choice in the U.K.
How do you make your sponge cake puffs please? Do you cook them in the oven or microwave? I’d like to try salmon, cream cheese and dill ones for breakfasts as fancy a change.
I’ve bought a silicone cake tin and will be using a halogen cooking pot.
Thanks,

Sorry I am super bad at being concise when I asked for a recipe about one of my top beloved dishes. Even if they have one ingredient.

They are sponge cakes so the oven is the only option… Oh maybe it’s not so obvious as they are flourless ones and maybe I am the only maniac making such things… But they are still very much sponge cakes just without any powder so they deflate, they aren’t firm… But they still need the oven. I used the microwave with a tiny amount for various valid reasons and they deflated even during the baking process.

It’s just sponge cake with 100% eggs so whipped egg whites mixed with whipped egg yolks. And I bake them.
The whites should be whipped hard and firm, the yolks are less important, I often don’t even whip them, still better then not well whipped whites and whipped yolks… I had a not so good machine for whipping eggs before when I didn’t have a hand mixer for a while, it made the whipping but so slowly that I stopped at an okay but not hard state… And they were pitiful compared to my current ones.
A pinch salt can be added but I prefer mine unsalted, I eat them with salty things and I don’t need much salt for my eggy things, even zero works due to the natural sodium content. But it’s individual.

I rarely got a good result when I added various things into it but it’s possible. Last time I added Quark as I had too much :smiley: Fiber makes it firmer (especially the top that is the funnier part anyway) and while fiber dilutes flavor, usually, a little in a lot of tasty eggs is fine. But as it’s not carnivore, I almost never do that and I like my simple ones anyway.

IDK how it works elsewhere, in my kitchen the originally crispy tops quickly absorb enough water to become fully soft. Both versions are nice but quite different, one is fun and produces crumbles and sounds, the other is a soft bun.
If kept properly (nothing special but one shouldn’t put them into a plastic bag, crush them in my backpack and keep them there for 1-2 days, apparently… I ate them but only because I trust my immune system and had no other access to eggs…), they are fine for… Quite long. I always ate them in a few days, they may last longer but probably not in this humid house though if they are baked longer so they get drier, they still manage to dry out even more instead of molding… But if I don’t eat them in a few days (they rarely last for more than 1-2), I just put them into the freezer. IDK how obvious it is but they freeze wonderfully, no problem. They are soft and squishable so many fits into some proper sized box :smiley:

They are pretty nice for sandwiches but I am so extremely far from my high-carb days (even if I have days with high-carb items and I still find some kind of wheat breads very good) and I am so focused on eggy things that I don’t know how a normal person or even a normal ketoer would feel. I like them but my SO wouldn’t even try one. He seems to be slightly tired of my “eggs make everything better and if they have eggs already, more can’t hurt” attitude (there are exceptions but I usually act according to this so I didn’t exaggerate much). He doesn’t even like my carnivore pancakes! So I need to add, like, 10g starch for every eggs… More like 5g, I don’t remember but I have my limits when it comes to ruining pancakes with flour, that’s against something I held dear.

Oh, amounts! I use 6 eggs for my muffin mold, it makes 12 not very tiny muffins. I need to pile the very well whipped eggs up high and still may have a little leftover.
Sometimes I only use 3 yolks, they are good when I eat something unusually rich and fatty with them. Or when I want to use up whites or spare yolks.

Lunch today:

Two of the left over stuffed burgers made yesterday, served on spinach and avocado dressed in just a little lime juice and EVOO, topped with a couple of eggs fried in butter. There’s also some Reblochon cheese hiding underneath the burgers, all lovely and melty : )

(Robin) #754

Aye yi yi… that’s lovely!

Thanks Shinita, I’m going to try them when I have a whisk. I am wondering if they would be more solid in structure if bacon rinds were added so I’ll try that too. For now I’ll try doing mini quiche. :slightly_smiling_face:

Powders are supposed to help but a little never did much.
I made ham powder ones (I had smoked ham and I dried it out and ground it :)) :smiley: But the ham was so very salty and flavorful that I only could add a little.
I will experiment in the future but my simple ones are good enough for me most of the time.

OMG… I forgot to buy Avocados… Well. That’s a first xD

No pics today because frankly, it feels like work pulled my brain out through my ears and I just wanted to eat :sweat_smile:

But it was some VERY tasty pig’s liver, purple sprouting broccoli, spinach and some cheesy scrambled egg.

How do you make it better than only borderline edible? I don’t like it when I make it (well it was once) but I ate nice dishes made with it so there must be something about the preparation too, not only my personal taste… Maybe you do something with it, thought I’d ask :wink:
(Next time I will do some pâté with it, I just lost so much interest last time I only buy ready made pâté since but they often has ingredients I dislike…)

I just threw it in a frying pan with some butter for a couple of minutes on both sides. Nothing special : ) It was very tender and slightly sweet tasting.

I have some left over that I’m going to make into a pâté later today.

But pork liver is firm and very strong and bitter… So it’s personal differences. With some possibility of our ingredient not being very similar too.

But now I got curious, I will try again. Maybe I lower the time just like I did with some other liver and even eggs at some point…

(Allie) #762

Pork liver is the most palatable liver I’ve found, heart too, but generally I’m not a pork fan.

I am a pork and turkey fan (I live on eggs and pork, mostly. pork is the tastiest thing in existence, period, I always thought that. of course it matters what kind of pork but cheap supermarket pork is still great tasting food), I don’t like pork liver unless in pâté where I love it… HATE turkey liver.
I don’t like normal supermarket chicken but I love chicken liver. Beef is nice, be it normal meat or liver :smiley:
By the way, I am somewhat addicted to peanuts (maybe not anymore), I LOVE them to bits - and I dislike peanut butter.
I may be a bit odd but maybe things are just so different even from the same animal/seed.

I never ate a bad heart though. Or tongue, that’s even better than heart.

My lunch, vaguely. I had milky and eggy coffees too (some way before lunch) and didn’t eat exactly this but quite close. I had a tiny dinner too, it was a good day.
Pork roast with extra time in my pan, pork sausages. I still am NOT into inferior, paprika-less sausages but they were easily edible. I am a bit looking forward to the 3rd packet, with paprika. but the thick one in the middle, Debrecener, that is my favorite soft sausage.
I still do my own too as processed meat is for a tiny variety, I don’t like to eat much of it.

The pork looks lovely : )

I failed to get pics again today as work was even more… more… than it was yesterday, and again, I wanted to just sit down and stuff my face while I recovered from a mentally draining day xD

Lunch was an egg salad made with Hunter & Gather mayo, some crumbled feta cheese, fresh parsley, salt and pepper.

Dinner was two pan fried smoked mackerel fillets on a big bed of little gem lettuce, dressed in EVOO and ACV with grated parmesan.

Mackerel is sooo nice… I only have tinned herring now, that isn’t a big deal but still rare in my life so I am looking forward to it tomorrow (tomato sauce or not, I just can’t get a better stuff, at least this one isn’t super sweet).

For some reason, while I LOVE eggs, I almost never had egg salads… I tried to make it a few years ago and it wasn’t so great. I think once I realized I can’t go wrong with lots of mustard and sour cream and that was better…? (Maybe egg salads often has mayo. I dislike mayo. unless it’s mostly eggs.) But I should look at some recipes again I guess. My super rare egg sparing time I have now will end tomorrow and I plan some experiments with vegetarian keto for some days so egg dishes are in high demand :slight_smile: But tomorrow is still a near carni day, I still have some meat to eat.

I also love to use some mustard in an egg salad. I was never super crazy for mayo and in fact would often use a Greek yoghurt in a lot of things as a substitution. But I have to say I’m a bit crazy for the keto mayo made with avocado oil. Love the taste : )

I never saw avocado oil but I dislike avocado. I used lard for my mostly egg mayo, it was nice but pretty much unnecessarily and I must minimize fat especially added fat anyway. I ate mayo a few times in my life together with some deep-fried carby stuff though, it worked there.

I get excited about the weirdest things these days xD

(Allie) #769

You know ghee is really easy to make?

Doesn’t surprise me to hear that, but given I already make pretty much everything else from scratch, I’ll forgive myself some corner cutting here and there ; ) I’ll likely look into it at some point : )