What did you keto today? Part VI...The son of the cousin of the wife of the GMO crop of the inbred corn crop, whilst the siblings sat on their behinds drinking soda pop

food

I think it largely depends on the texture they’re trying to achieve; those puffy ones you linked will definitely be twice fried/baked and fried.

The recipe I found actually uses Avocado oil, but you can of course always just fry them in the rendered pig fat from the initial bake, or just add lard ; )

I’m not seeing just pig skin as an option to buy anywhere near me but when I make my next Field and Flower order I’m planning on getting a good whack of pork belly, so may just trim the skin off that and give it a whirl : )

Today’s OMAD.

It’s ‘using up all the last of the fresh stuff’ day today, so I lightly sautéed off some celery, broccoli, cauliflower, smoked garlic, spinach and rocket in some butter. I also added some red bell pepper (skin on) as an experiment to see if I’ll get away with it, or if it’ll betray me like tomatoes. Tried skin off already as that’s allegedly where the irritants are, and that seemed to go OK.

Made up a cheese sauce with cream cheese and grated cheddar, finely chopped parsley and dill, some capers and a teaspoon of English mustard. Combined with the veg.

Served with smoked haddock fillets fried in EVOO.

Restaurant class!

Oh thank you, someone in the carni thread used this term, scratchings ages ago and I totally forgot!
“Pork crunch” is new to me, I only saw it here lately.

I researched a bit, apparently our “scratchings” may not even contain skin (usually it does though), fat is obviously basic, meat is very, very optional, waaaaaay too rare if you ask me… And goose and duck can be used too. That’s different but the same word may used for it… I don’t know them.

And raw pork skin is easy to get here, it’s very common as people like to make aspic. We have packages with lots of skin and pig’s feet. I wouldn’t even buy it as it has no meat. But some people LOVE munching on boiled pig’s feet… (It’s a tad better than chewing chicken feet, that’s creepy and ew like hell to me but each to their own.)

And I have my photos, finally! :smiley: Catfish and cheesy baked egg whites for my SO. But I ate one myself this time even though I forgot to prepare it for myself (i.e. adding a yolk).

When I was younger (a child) I heard of people eating pigs’ trotters…but I haven’t heard of anyone doing it in years.

Maybe they still do…but the practice has went underground, like a witches’ coven? :thinking::face_with_monocle:

I like that idea; secret chapters of underground pigs’ trotter connoisseurs.

Funnily enough, the site I get my meat from sells trotters, but not just pig skin. Ah well xD

Not sure about that, but it tasted freaking fantastic, so I’m good all good ; )

Simple one for tonight, and almost carni, except for the steak seasoning!
12oz Big Daddy Sirloin steak, 2 large fried eggs, I never did the peppercorn sauce as it required milk, which I no longer keep.
Just fried 3 minutes each side, added steak seasoning and butter to one side too.

Just fried my eggs sunny side up in the steak oil.

Probably would qualify for the Angus thread! Running out of veg now…only have 1 pepper and and 3 onions left :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

And finally, this ‘pig out Sunday,’ bluberries, soured cream, halved brazil nuts & halved pecan nuts.

I’ll sleep like a baby after this. :relaxed:

Just did a late morning brunch, as I’m about to leave to go to a site meeting.
Slices of black & white pudding, fried red onion, 2 x fried eggs and a couple slices of mature cheddar.

Traditional Irish White Pudding (1 slice) contains 5.2g total carbs, 4.5g net carbs , 6.5g fat, 2.4g protein, and 90 calories. I thinkl black pudding is worse!

Probably knocked myself out of ketosis there by accident :confounded::man_facepalming:
Never checked beforehand- it’s the barley content.
Ah well, I’ll not be that much over, and I seem to bouce back into keto fairly quickly. :facepunch:
If I ever eat this again it’ll be one or two slices.

Today.

Skin on chicken breast, oven baked with EVOO, a little coconut oil, lemon, tarragon, salt and pepper. Brussels sprouts cooked alongside.

Shredded spring greens steamed then pan fried in butter. Sauce made by softening mushrooms in the juices from the chicken (cooked up 4 breasts in total), then adding some double cream, garlic, more tarragon, and freshly grated parmesan.

I think I’ll need to move away from OMAD at least for a while, as my appetite has decreased so that I’m finding it near impossible to eat a full day’s calories in a single sitting. I work out on my lunch hour and generally cook my meal at or toward the end of my work day. Will think about adding in something quick to prepare mid afternoon and splitting things up that way.

That’s a great dish must say.

That looks wonderful!

I’m going to keep it simple tonight, cook only three ingredients (King prawns come ready cooked).
Lamb chops, king prawns, brocolli and red pepper. (Using oilive oil, soy sauce, Worcesterhire sauce, garlic, smoked paprika and butter in stir fry.)
Replanished fridge nibbles with some half price beef sausages.

I added some spring onions as well when adding butter to the soy etc. stir fry sauce mixture.

Transfer veg stir fry to sauce pan and add cooked king prawns, stir and keep heated.

Lamb chops on near full heat, about 3 or 4 minutes each side.

Quite alot, but some stir fry sealed away for tomorrow, and Carly helped me finish off the plate as there was too much for me. King prawns were very sweet and succulent and the lamb was a perfect propotion of juicy meat and fat.

Announcement, to those who know.

I’ve been toying with the idea of experimenting with zc/carni recently.
I’ve decided not to do so at this time, as I’m currently concentrating on cutting other things out of my life.
I think if I try to quit too many things at once it would increase my risk of failure/relapse in some respects.
Besides, I’ve just bought a shed load of nuts to get through…(gin substitute lol).
Must be careful not to ‘comfort eat’ the nuts…just use them for the occassional midday handful munch, and to top the berries and soured cream at times.

Cheers!

Good call!

Finally, to burst the belly on this milestone comfort day, picked up some half price raspberries at the filling station Spar mini market, and I’m going to have with creme fraiche (instead of soured cream), plus a sprinkling of halved walnuts, some dry roasted peanuts and some grated 100% cocoa dark chocolate.(8g Carb per 100g, and what I used was miniscule).

Party on!!!
Or in my case…bedtime :confused::relaxed:

Note, I only use half tub of creme fraiche/soured cream at a time, so that’s 50p a day.
I also normally only have half the punnet of berries, but today, given the half price use by nature of the raspberries, I chinned the whole punnet…so that’s why it looks like a lot. :confused::pensive:

Well, if the black and white puddings yesterday brunch put me out of ketosis, it wasn’t for long.
Here’s my reading this morning 08:41…

Not quite 6 or 6+ yet, but that shouldn’t take long with 2MAD.

Your food is really varied and colourful, did you eat similar when you first started out on Keto? I think I need to make changes as my meals generally have two ingredients and look boring. I think I need to trust myself more!