What did you keto today? Part VI...The son of the cousin of the wife of the GMO crop of the inbred corn crop, whilst the siblings sat on their behinds drinking soda pop

food

Nice pics :smiley: Except the excessive amount of package but I can’t always avoid that myself and I am happy that my staples don’t come in plastic boxes (they come in plastic but only what is necessarily and not a box. the best is when there is a single, 3-5kg slab of meat with strong so thicker but tight plastic around it). Long ago I made photos after my big shoppings, now I just put everything into the fridge. It was impressive yesterday though, I bought 4 slabs of pork (that’s about 8kg), catfish and mouflon and processed stuff too.
You there have some stuff I never saw here but most are familiar, of course, I just never ate them as they are too expensive. (I don’t want to die without eating steak once at least… My frying some cheaper beef slices years ago is not something I call steaks in a not very wide sense. But I am still not that curious yet. It must be in a steakhouse though, I need to know the goal before I try my non-existing skills at that! maybe that is the meat where technique matters. I normally have the opinion that good meat is good even if I make it not skillfully and without much care but I am sure there are exceptions. And it’s known that my usual “fry the hell out of it” approach is far from making proper steaks - even I left that approach in some cases… Still the best with fatty pork, mmm.)

My shopping is sooo different. I need meat in bigger amounts, I don’t go shopping often.

12oz steak is a cute size (if we consider it the main part of a meal, not just one part of a single course of a single meal on a day with multiple meals… I eat so differently from normal folks now). A safe amount for me as I may or may not be able to eat a big one.
looks good. But all properly fatty steaks look good to me and beef in general, some more than others, such a deep red color, it’s still exotic to me.

I almost thought you are prepared to go carni but it seems the trusty mushrooms and vegs are there :smiley: Seems low-carb enough for me even with the onion but I am horrible at guessing macros and don’t know how much do you eat from it (then I saw the new photos… yep, doesn’t seem sooo much, my body wouldn’t complain for sure). I used to eat up veggie dishes right away most of the time, I just shared with my SO… Making enough veggie dish to last for 4 days always were a challenge (I even had some one-meal cooking and we didn’t even get satiated from it) and it was time consuming too quite often. It’s sooo much better with meat. Yeah, it didn’t help we didn’t have meat back then…

Your food looks quite nice, sour cream in sauces and whatnots is one of my fav things to do and even though I don’t feel like eating mushrooms anymore, I have some very warm memories of them (I still don’t like white champignon not from the wild, I feel them almost tasteless. still have a tiny taste and properly made, it’s not bad at all, we just choose some other mushrooms for our own cooking. I still have some jars from the time I found a ton of mushroom in a forest for weeks)… Sour cream suits mushrooms wonderfully… Even chicken stew here often has sour cream in it, it’s a thing and quite good… Mmmm. I almost miss sauces and wetter dishes now. I tend to eat roasts and fried meat, barely even touch sour cream nowadays.

Next time I bring photos, I promise…!

(Allie) #562

Drives me mad! Cabbages and lettuces I get for my hens, can only get them wrapped in plastic… why?! :tired_face:

Fortunately the vegs usually come without plastic… Well, with the zillion times reused plastic bags we use :slight_smile: We buy them at the greengrocer’s (did I write it right? I am always unsure and try to look it up but still unsure) so no new plastic!
Meat always comes with new plastic, of course but there is a difference between…

• a big slab of meat in a plastic bag, very tiny plastic (yeah, still more than would be ideal… but when I get 3-4kg pork with it, it’s the best I can do)
  • a big slab of meat wrapped in thick plastic (that’s how I normally buy meat. I choose the biggest slabs, it depends on the supermarket, 1.5-4.5kg. sometimes even less, my mouflon meat is only 500g but the plastic is thin there. chicken liver is 500g and it’s thick plastic but at least it’s not one of my seriously used staples)
  • much meat in a bigger than that plastic box
  • a few thin slices of meat in the bottom of a big plastic box, I so hate that, I don’t buy such things but others do :frowning:

I try to avoid the one before the last but if it’s some -50% sale for ruminant meat or turkey legs I can’t buy in other way (and the box was so nicely fully packed that I didn’t even get it out before I put it into my now super full freezer!), I just can’t resist. I have priorities. I try to do what I can but I need to get my meal on a budget ($2-3 for a day is my vague goal. I don’t have a fixed limit but I can have a nice carni day from this so I try. it may be not informative as I live in Hungary but still. I should use good sales when I see them).

Ouch, no photo yet, next time, I bring two, pork and catfish! I hope it will be pretty enough. The food I mean as I already gave up on my food photography skills.

I’m just going to do 2MAD today after that wrap at late breakfast. Either one of those 12oz Dig Daddy sirloin steaks, or maybe the Norn Irish beef ‘veg’ rolls, along with that lefover lamb chop and mushroom stroganoff.

In between I had this- a bullet proof green tea/coffee. My recipe is 1 heaped tsp matcha green tea, 1 heaped tsp coffee granules, 1 tsp butter, 3 tsp MCT oil, 3 heaped tsp soured cream, about 15 blueberries…blitzed in the nutri bullet then frothed up. Rocket fuel!

Also, got this delivered today. Fed up with using small soy sauce bottles and keep running out quickly…buying the good traditional stuff by the litre now.

Oh Oh…munchies have just arrived!

They’re OK in moderation. I buy bigger to save money…they’re the type things your body tells you when you’ve had enough anyway (except dry roasted or salt & vinegar peanuts…I have no off switch with them). I don’t eat too much of the Brazil nuts (contain high selenium) as too much selenium has serious side effects. Good for the hair though I believe.

Selenium can help with depression. Sadly, I’ve discovered that Brazil nuts now make my guts completely explosive even if I just eat 1, so that’s out! Really like them too : (

Tesco sell Kikkoman Soy by the litre; I started buying it ages before I started keto because I liked to cook a lot of Korean food. Unfortunately, my absolute favourite use for soy sauce is cooking potatoes in it… so that’s out now too xD

Gonna pick up some scratchings soon if I remember. Always loved them, and I’m assuming that they’re all OK on Keto in moderation, or do I need to be looking for something specific?

Not really- I like that brand, from Amazon.
There’s different flavours (I’m waiting on hot chilli being delivered for e.g.).
I find other brands can be too hard up to the point when you can crack a tooth- these seem to be a happy medium.

They are probably fried in ‘veg’ oil though- just guessing, but it’s probably a given, like everything else. Byt they are keto <3g carb per 100g. 33g protein per 100g, 63g fat per 100g. 1g salt per 100g. Yep, Keto.

I’ve also ordered these as well, but they haven’t arrived yet.
I’ve never had them before, but I’ll let you know what they are like.

They are differnt than scratchings…they are called crunch or scratchings:
‘Pork crackling is made from shoulder rind and is typically fried twice. It is first rendered at a low heat, and then cooked at a higher temperature for a less fatty, crispier result. Pork crunch, which is made from back rind is double-fried to become a large, puffy crunchier snack.’

Ahhh, yeah. I’ve had the puffy ones before (actually, I think they came from a Korean store when I was living in Germany xD). I prefer the traditional type though, even if they’re a bit tougher on the old gnashers :wink:

I figured most fried snacks would use a seed oil of some sort, sadly. I’m trying to stay as clean on Keto as I can, but I think as a rare treat I’ll allow a small amount of scratchings in! Maybe if I look hard enough I’ll be able to find some that use a healthier fat though I honestly have my doubts there.

Another option would of course just be to DIY it, but my crackling has always been a bit hit and miss so I may just end up getting frustrated.

Yip, it seems to be a tricky procedure to follow to get them right.

I’m not sure olive oil would be suitable…maybe lard?
Not sure how that would work, taste wise.

As for Brazil nuts? I won’t take more than a small half clenched handful of those broken Brazil nuts above, daily.

I’ve just tried that and counted them out- it’s equivalent to ~ 7 whole Brazil nuts…which is probably pushing limits on what is recommended for a daily amount.

I only found all this out recently- this should be made common knowledge to everyone; taught in primary schools!

For sure.

Selenium toxicity doesn’t sound like somewhere anyone wants to end up o_O

(Little Miss Scare-All) #573

You and your nuts.

I’ve no come back over that.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #575

Making @coopdawg baffled for words. When do I receive my crown? :rofl:

I’d only encourage you more…I’m learning!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #577

Lol lucky for you, I’m self-motivated.

So what did you keto today?

(see what I did there? lol)

Tonight went simple, so I could get rid of the lamb and mushroom/asparagus stroganoff leftovers, plus added the NI beef ‘veg’ roll, some red onion (all fried in olive oil). Added some grated cheese and sprinkled hard cheese as well. Hit the spot, and wasn’t too taxing to prepare.
Beef veg rolls.

Shallow fried with red onion in light olive oil.

Heat leftover lamb chop, stroganoff and cauliflower rice, combine with beef and onions.
Then sprinkle with cheddar & hard cheese. A little no added sugar ketchup :yum:

Wellll… it’s all in mah belleh now ; ) No pics.

But it was two eggs lightly fried in butter, raw spinach, rocket and celery dressed in EVOO and ACV with a little salt and pepper, sprinkle of capers and pine nuts, canned mackerel and some goat cheese : )