What did you keto today? Part VI...The son of the cousin of the wife of the GMO crop of the inbred corn crop, whilst the siblings sat on their behinds drinking soda pop

food

(Allie) #521

I have a cheap halogen oven from Amazon, works a treat and no smoke at all. Best way I’ve found of cooking belly pork, besides the proper oven which takes way too long…

Oooo, thanks! I shall look for one. I think I’ve wrecked the kitchen oven in under a month! Can’t clean the electric elements and it’s smoking galore :tired_face:

(Allie) #523

Oh that’ll burn off, but yes, smoky. Halogen oven, mine has a big bowl type thing, is really easy to keep clean and saves both time and money, and I’m sure it cooks better too. My proper oven is hardly ever used now.

Quest 43850 Electric Multi-Function Air Fryer Oven / 17 Litre Capacity with 5 Litre Extender Ring / 60 Minute Timer / Self-Cleaning Function / 125-250°C Temperature Range / Accessories Included https://amzn.eu/d/dz4jOU7

This is the one I have but there are others. Only cautionary word is to make sure as soon as it’s finished cooking, you tilt or remove the lid or else condensation forms which rusts the element - I found out the hard way and had to replace it.

You’re a diamond, huge thanks! This sounds perfect!
I’ve been looking on Amazon since you posted earlier and got totally confused with which one to look at, you’ve saved me hours of research, cheers!
A 1.5kg belly pork roast is taking about 4 hours to cook in my oven and chucking fat everywhere, will the skin still crackle in the Quest oven please and do you know roughly how long it’ll take?
Thanks for all the help with this, I can’t wait for it to arrive!

I fried some 70/30 pork (it’s way too fatty for me but I use it to render some lard for my eggs and leaner fried meat) and the light was dramatic in the morning…

(Allie) #526

Yes it will, and in lots less time! I think it’s roughly 20-25% less cooking time by weight depending on how powerful the halogen oven is, four hours seems like an eternity :flushed:

When I did belly pork the other morning it was cooked and crispy after just 20 mins, and yesterday cooked a whole chicken in 50 mins.

Thank you! I’ve ordered it, arrives on Friday. I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited about a household appliance. :joy:

Sometimes I wonder if my mini oven (actually a grill but it works as an oven) has some problem as I need more and more time to make my roasts… But the breads don’t have this so I don’t understand…
2 hours is a maximum I am willing to spend on roasting anything but sometimes it’s not enough. Cutting up the meat helps (I like when it has more surface area anyway).
But a slice got ready in 1 hour in the past and now it needs 2, I don’t get it. Oh well, mysteries.

Once I put 3.5 kg meat into the mini oven, that wasn’t ideal as I couldn’t cut it up first… :smiley: But eventually it turned out great and 3.5kg lasts longer than 1.5… :wink:

But it’s always a long time so I rather fry my meat in a pan on hot summer days… Or when I don’t have time before I jump anything edible. I usually think before but sometimes I overestimate my actual fasting abilities and I don’t have ready to eat things in my freezer all the time.

(Robin) #529

Pork belly yes are the reason they invented the air fryer. Oh my goodness!

Brilliant! I’ve got a joint ready.
I got my first microwave this year, last month a knife and chopping board, this month a frying oven - I’m turning into a domestic goddess, sort of :joy:

The nuts weren’t that great Dena! I’m leaving them for dessert or a snack the next time.

I wasn’t here yesterday. Took a few picks though anyway.
Had a craving for something pickled, luckily I had these in the fridge to scratch that itch.

Then for brunch proper, a high protein low carb wrap with mayonaise, yesterday’s lefover stir fried veg, grated cheddar and a slice of cooked ham.

For evening meal, picked these half price bargains up on the way home from work.
Just had them carni style with nothing else.

Brunch today; Fried smoked bacon, scrambled eggs with jalepenos, butter, grated cheddar, salt & pepper. Bit of no added sugar brown sauce.

This evening’s meal, which I’ve already chinned, because I’m hitting the hay early in case I get called out (I’m on standby this week). A version of what I’ve done before:
Finished off the remaining red cabbage.

Other ingredients are button mushrooms, a red pepper, and got some half price (30p!) celery and had defrosted acouple of half price pork chops over night (£1.75!).

Steam the cabbage and celery for 8 - 10 minutes while start stir fying the other veg.

In the boiling water I used for steaming, I addded some Worcestershire Sauce for flavour and Balsamic vinegar for flavour also, but also to help the red/purple cabbbage keep its purplish colour…otherwise it can turn a pale blue.

I made the stir fry sauce from olive oil, butter, Worcestershire suce, soy sauce,garlic, chicken seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Then reduce as you cook.
Combine the steamed cabbge and celery into the stir fry, add more garlic, seasoning and butter to taste.

Separated into another pan and keep warm. Pan fry the pork chops. Sear both sides on high heat, flip over again cook a little longer each side until cooked. Smear one side with English Mustard.

Pleanty of stir fry veg left to be sealed up, chucked in the fridge for tomorrow. Was very tasty indeed…but then I would say that wouldn’t I :wink::yum:

No, the kennel wasn’t bought, my brother in law built it for me as a Christmas gift as he knew I was looking for a new pup.
He’s got a sort of CNC, carpentary, joinery , packaging type of business…but he’s good at making all sorts of things himself too with his own hands.
It could do with some woodstain right enough; it’s over 4 years old now.
I’ve made kennels before myself, but not as proper looking as this one that he made.

I wasn’t going to bother with berries and soured cream tonight, but I folded there.

I couldn’t figure out why…then I realised I have Celebrity MasterChef on TV in the background…it must be subliminally making me hungry. That and the abstinence :upside_down_face:

I meant to use the clotted cream above, but there was no point as I forgot take it out of the fridge so it will be too hard…so I just used soured cream instead, and hald a handful of dry roasted peanuts to top.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #537

I channeled my inner @coopdawg with these half-price sausages. If I die to death of stomach creatures, you know whose fault it is.

Also, don’t get jealous of my very fine china. It’s of the paper variety. Highly sought after.

Oh and there’s eggs.

I did almost snap a pic of my meal today because it was so colourful and pretty… but then I didn’t xD

It was spinach and asparagus cooked in butter with garlic, then topped with a sprinkle of pine nuts, goat cheese and avocado, served with crispy skin salmon.

I do OMAD so that was one heck of a tasty way to eat my full day’s calorie count.

Brunch today, just a warmed up high protein low carb wrap with mayo, grated cheddar, chicken strips roasted with a chicken marinade, pickled silverskin onions and jalepenos.

But, was still hungry believe it or not (don’t know what is wrong with me these past couple of days),
so went for this as well. Only a small tin, and high omega 3.

Something simple for tonight…can’t be arsed doing too much.

I used to practically live on those tins of sardines for a while. Now that I know tomatoes hate me though, I buy the ones that are just in olive oil.

Today’s OMAD (yes, I started eating before thinking to take a pic, but that’s progress, right?!)

Bone in, skin on Chicken leg (drumstick and thigh) oven cooked with a little butter, salt and pepper. mushrooms and halloumi cooked in the fat from the drained chicken. Salad is spinach, rocket, celery and avocado. Oh, and a couple of dabs of Keto mayo for good measure : )