What did you Keto today? Part Deux!

(Candy Lind) #6350

Were those French fried onions on that burger? I miss them, but I stay completely away from grain. I haven’t figured out a way to do them without wheat flour. I can’t get the usual breading substitutes to “stick”.

(Khara) #6351

Yes. It was a pub burger, no bun. I left the French fried onions on but only had a few. Same with the sauce and salad dressing that came with, just had a little. Try to not make a habit of stuff like that but a little won’t hurt. It would be fun to try and make some homemade French fried onions though… :thinking:

(Candy Lind) #6352

EBTKS chicken vegetable soup - green beans, asparagus, mushrooms, collards, eggplant, celery w/leaves, diced tomatoes w/chiles, bell pepper, poultry herbs, chives, parsley, tomato bouillon, onion powder, garlic powder, pink sea salt, black pepper. I tried to toss in one pack each of all the veggies I have in the freezer, but I think I might have missed a couple.

I intended to “cream” this soup by puréeing some of the veggies and adding heavy cream & Konica powder, but I got impatient. Maybe when I’m full … :smiling_imp:

(Khara) #6353

@David_Stilley
Do you have a Tom Yum / Tom Yam soup recipe (keto version)?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6354

Quest fresco is basically what is commonly called “Farmers Cheese”. It is cheese made with acid instead of rennet to cause curds to form. Cheese made with an acid like lemon juice will fry without melting much. Haloumi, quest fresco, paneer, bread cheese, are examples. You can easily make farmer’s cheese by putting full fat milk in a pot and adding an acid like lemon juice which causes curds and whey to separate. Strain with a cheese cloth and squeeze into a disk and put a weight on it to press out whey as much as you can. No aging required so you can fry it up right away. But there’s probably some version of farmers cheese available in most places. Look up a recipe for paneer as a substitute. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6355

@Jamboribs posted a successful batter recipe :man_cook:t3:

Keto Tempura Batter

I would add that when making onion rings put them in ice water before battering, a membrane will start to separate from each ring. Remove them and let the rings dry a bit before dipping in the batter. The batter will not slip off like it can if you skip the membrane removal. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jane) #6356

Taco salad

3 Fried Eggs in homemade bone broth with chives and real bacon bits…I’m normally not really a soup person but for some reason this is becoming a quick go to dish that leaves me feeling pretty great :bowl_with_spoon:

(Diane) #6358

This is going to sound strange, but if you’re using thickly sliced onions for your rings, you can coat them in mayo (seasoned or not) and then finely crushed pork rinds.

I used something similar to this method:

(Steve) #6359

Thanks, I’ll give the water trick a try tomorrow when I crank up the deep fryer for fish. I used to soak them in milk and then dip them in flour before battering to make it stick.

(Tiffani Dutridge) #6360

I have a cousin with celiac disease so for thanksgiving this past fall I used gluten free french’s fried onions for the green bean casserole… they were simply thinly sliced onions, deep fried. No batter to speak of. Now I make them at home!

(Diane) #6361

Those sound really good, I’ve done this with broccoli and Brussels sprouts. Never thought to try it with onions!

(Tiffani Dutridge) #6362

I have never liked any brussels sprouts that I’ve tried, I’m thinking that would change if they were deep fried. I’ll add them to my grocery list, thanks for the inspiration!

(Diane) #6363

If you try this with Brussels sprouts, I would cut them in half (at least) to increase the surface area that gets crispy.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6364

Try cutting them in half, tossing in some olive oil or melted bacon fat and salt. Spread them on a sheet pan cut side down and roast at 375F. Test with a fork. When they’re cooked put them in a dish right out of the oven and sprinkle with garlic powder or granules and some lemon juice or balsamic vinegar and black pepper too. Even Brussels sprouts haters will gobble them up this way! :cowboy_hat_face:

(Diane) #6365

Or this?

I LOVE this guy!

Keto pumpkin sheet cake. I’ve been eating it as bars for the past few days as it’s super filling. Makes a great appetite suppressant. My kids were excited about it until they tried it and then they were more excited about tearing up their slices and throwing pieces around the kitchen. Should’ve gotten a photo of that carnage. My 12 year old did eat his, but he was like “ I can tell this is keto cake, mom.”

This is similar to how my sister used to prepare them for me and she made me a convert. Sooo good!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #6368

Had a lunch from the place across the street.
Smoked brisket + smoked turkey.
Calculated their rub. Within limits, easily.

My MiL went on a trip to serbia and brought us some “fresh from the market” delicious kajmak…we decided to eat it with a side of beef burgers and rib-eye :wink: my plate is the one on the left :slight_smile:
(My husband has ruled.me waffles underneath his burger)