What am I doing wrong?!?!

(Edith) #91

As far as I understand it, as long as your ketones are 0.5 or higher, you are in ketosis.

I am. But it’s mild.

(Edith) #93

I recently discovered The Biohackers Lab podcast. It is very good. The two episodes linked below had discussions on what might be the cause of weight loss stalls. You may want to check them out. If you got to the website, there are show notes.

(Kirk Wolak) #94

GKI of 6 means MAINTENANCE (you wont be losing weight).

First, your BS looks better! Keep it up.
Second, your MORNING Numbers are the most important (BS BK, GKI).
This is the health of your liver. Is it emptying all of it’s carbs.

Third, your liver has about 72 hours of glycogen in it. It’s why most people take 3 days to adapt, and why (I Believe), Dave Feldman can use 3 days before your Cholesterol test to manipulate the result. Because it has a 3 day “memory” as well…

So, you are in a “low” level of ketosis, and your BS is still a bit high, but coming down.
And these are your “best” numbers. Morning numbers tend to be the worse numbers of the day, as you slowly deplete the BS through fasting…

Now you have the “INSTRUMENTATION PANEL”. You want to drive BS lower and push ketones higher.

I wont ask ANYONE to do any exercise. But do get some MOVEMENT. Walk for 5-10 minutes. Start with 1 minute if you have to. Stand in place and do big arm circles. Just enough movement to use your muscles. This will consume muscle glycogen, and lower you bs. Giving your liver a chance to UNLOAD its excess glycogen, speeding up your process. Dr. Boz has the 1 minute Jump Rope Challenge. You can do 1 minute of chair squats (Sit in a kitchen chair, hands on your knees, lean forward, stand up, exhale, site back down). See how many of those you can do SLOWLY in 1 minute. Do that once a day or as often as you wish. Write that number down. Write down a number 1-5 about how difficult it was, every time. And track your progress.

It’s perfectly okay (preferred, even) to lean your weight forward to stand up. This uses your legs and NOT your back. Your legs are your largest muscles. Moving them 10 times is like doing 30 pushups from an energy stand point.

NOTHING should hurt while doing this or any exercise. If it does, seek a professional.

=

To Reiterate:

1. Ketosis stops the problem from getting worse
  2. Time in ketosis, starts reversing the fat in the liver FIRST, then the morning #s change
  3. After the liver is emptied, the body is forced to use ketones (more and better)
  4. Then fat burning really starts, and you start losing weight, and not being hungry.

You were kinda stuck in #1 … You were not getting worse, but probably not getting better. Lets get that liver in shape. Over time, I hope you add some walking for a few minutes a day. (I plan to walk 10-15 Miles on Saturday, and again on Sunday. My goal is to walk 2 marathons, one saturday, one sunday, while fasting + Electrolytes).

I am doing that BECAUSE that will force my liver to become AMAZING at producing ketones [I am at my target weight, just working on getting healthier].

And while this is happening I can no longer see the higher ketone numbers on normal days. I have to fast > 24 hours to get 1.x numbers. And it feels CORRECT to me.
But YOU should easily be ABOVE 1.x numbers until you adapt more. (This is why chasing ketones is frowned upon, IMO, by so many of the people doing it for a while, but they forget that NEWBIES should chase a little if they are not losing the weight, or their livers are not emptied). BTW, it took me MANY WEEKS to get my morning BS numbers down!

Good luck!

Thanks, I now have some additional tools to continue my N=1 and a better understanding. I’m off to see what I can do about this! By the way. Got my DNA interpreted yesterday. My naturopath said I’m the only one of her patients that my DNA results support a Keto diet. She’s never seen where saturated fat shows as no issue. I have a few other minor things. But some appropriate food or supplements will take care of that.

@daddyoh recently posted this great explanation of GKI and Boz ratios, which really helped me understand a lot about what those numbers mean. He’s doing great with ketones at the same level as yours. A GKI of 6–9 is “ideal for weight loss and maintenance.” So, you’re doing well. Don’t be disappointed in that! I think you’re right to want to nudge it a bit lower and you’ll see better progress. But don’t beat yourself up about where you are.

(Kirk Wolak) #97

I would Love to know what she is picking out of that… But regardless, if that is the case, then you MIGHT be more carb sensitive than others (Like I am).

Here is the deal. YOU KNOW where you are at. Now you can experiment with not eating longer, or your macros, and find out what is impacting them.

One warning: There are some foods that affect me for days… So a CLEAN test is to test this ONCE and not take it for 3-5 days on either side. YMMV. But for me, I can’t test things every day. The previous 2 days will confound me. And I have to wait 2-3 days for the full effect of some changes to show up…

BTW, the morning BS is down… How do you FEEL?
Has the scale moved at all?

Haven’t been on the scale. Tested my “late snack” theory that my bs would be higher in the morning. Had 4 oz of cheese an hour before bed and bs was 5.8 this morning :thinking: ketones .2. Going back to not eating after 5. And see if it’s lower tomorrow morning.

I have looked into some of those associations between FTO genes and sat fat. If that’s the genes you mean? The association doesn’t really pan out when they do clinical trials.

That doesn’t work for some. I lost the bulk of my weight eating intuitively and it was great. But my hunger and satiety signals gavee me the middle finger at some point along the way and the weight loss stopped, maintained for months, then started creeping up. Long story short It went long enough that I had my RMR checked and it had slowed considerably, IMO from the fasting and OMAD cycles I had done, started macro tracking with my fresh tested horrible RMR as part of the equation and the weight started coming off again and that’s still the case now. I’m now very slowly working on getting my metabolism back up where it’s supposed to be.

That’s one of them. It says a higher predisposition for higher body fat % …increase protein.
Others were AdipoQ 0 no problem with glucose and lipid metabolism.
ApoA2 0 no issue with saturated fats.
PPARG 1/0 maintain adequate fat intake.
So essentially I can do Keto. Her other patients show that they shouldn’t eat fat, should lower proteins and have lipid metabolism issues. Yes she generalized, but at least I know genetically a Keto diet is not bad for me.

You mean OMAD and IF? Intuitively I feel like going back to how I ate when I was a kid. Eggs for breakfast. Light lunch and meat and veggies for dinner. No snacking. Of course I’d take out the starches and carbs that mom used to make. Potatoes and carrots mainly, occasional pie or pasta. We lived on a farm and grew most of our food. Never had snacks in the house. If we wanted something after school mom would say no. Or in season she’d say go get a carrot out of the garden. Lol. Chips and pop or cake were maybe twice a year. Birthday parties etc. Rarely did we have dessert. Basic 60’s and 70’s farm diet. Of course we also had to ride our bikes or walk anywhere we wanted to go. And were sent outside to play or put to work in the house or the barn. So ya. Going back to that would probably work. Just need a farm. :joy:

Yeah the PPAR’s are what seem the most important. If you can’t metabolize fat correctly, there’s going to be a problem somewhere. Fortunately there aren’t many people with GG and even that genotype says Unconfirmed higher risk of cardiovascular disease with high saturated fat diet.

SNPedia Link

(Kirk Wolak) #104

Yeah, those are terrible numbers, for ONE piece of cheese. LOL.

I hope it feels good to start understanding the controls.

Now, the magic is: Go 12 (and then 14), and then 16 hours between meals.
If you can get down to OMAD, and in ketosis then you will benefit from Autophagy,
and higher fat burning.

Take your time as you wish. But keep this in mind.

WHENEVER you feel hunger, this is your BODY Telling you “You have 30 minutes to feed me! If you don’t… The Body Fat is going to be eaten!”

To which I reply “I dare you! I DOUBLE dare you!” and I go about fasting, and get busy so that I don’t notice the hunger.

Keep up the good work!

(Kirk Wolak) #105

Interesting, because if you don’t fast for more than 3 days, EVEN The studies Dr. Phinney uses to slam fasting show that the first 1-3 days of fasting, metabolism tends to increase.

My experience eating only MWF for many months is not the same. When I went and had my RMR tested, I was 10% above normal for my weight (and I was down considerably in weight, 50-70lbs, I believe).

Now, the times I have seen people lower their metabolism with Fasting was when they FAILED to eat enough on their feeding day. Some people just can’t seem to put down 3,000 calories in a single meal. My problem was NEVER that, it was ALWAYS Stopping. My wife and daughter scream at me: “How do you eat 3lbs of bacon in a single sitting?” (me: One DELICIOUS Piece at a time. Repeat until their all gone!)

I believe if you do ADF, you should be eating about 10% - 20% above your daily requirement. (Certainly not double). And I recently had to lower my intake to 2,500 which is fair…

But you know you love the fat when you start eating the bacon UNCOOKED so you get the full fat content! (It’s a dryer bacon, cut super thin… So good).

Anyways, I found if I just pay attention to my blood ketones, glucose and GKI, the lower my GKI, the faster the weight comes off. Back in the day, I was near or below 1 and crushing it. Nowadays, I only have 3 days since May started that are below 1…

Today was 2.28, yesterday was 7.77 (Someone had 3 meals, LOL).

That’s the final variable for me. The SAME food split over 3 meals, has a COMPLETELY different impact on my glucose/ketones (they get clobbered). Whereas doing it in one meal produces the best numbers… (It’s the insulin hits for me)

(Olga Alexandrovna) #106

Try coffee with grass-fed butter and MCT oil (Bulletproof Coffee, basically). I blend it all together and it tastes good and creamy. Also, keeps me full.

GKI today was 3.8. Woo hoo!!

(Kirk Wolak) #108

Okay, what were the BS and Ketone numbers?
Now lets keep tracking.
What did you do differently?

4.6 bs
1.2 ketones
I didn’t eat. Just had that morning coffee. Last thing I ate was the cheese last night for my snack test.
Been a bit dizzy and not hungry. Drank salted water.
Had dinner at 6:30
Ate as much as I could of pork tenderloin and some roasted broccoli and cauliflower with melted cheese on it. 4 hours later and still full.
Was thinking I feel like I have Keto flu again. Haven’t had that in about 8 months. Going to my doc tomorrow because my B12 results came back very high. We’re going to chat about that so I will tell her how I’ve been feeling see if it’s related or not.

(Kirk Wolak) #110

Pork tenderloin is very lean, how do you compensate with fat?
Do you know your carb intake?

The BS looks better in the 4s than the 5s… Ketones looking good.