Vegetarian -- ketogenic diet possible for vegetarians?

(jketoscribe) #10

Yes, with eggs and dairy you should be just fine.

If you were vegan with no animal products at all I would say it’s not really possible without some compromises. Denise Minger does a good job explaining why here: https://deniseminger.com/for-vegans/ Even if you do some eggs and dairy, I think it’s important to read what she has to say so you don’t fall into the same nutritional traps.

(Rachel Holt) #11

What if someone can only do the egg whites and not really dairy (or at least not milk? Well, previously, yolks and dairy have bothered her stomach, but they haven’t found the reasoning for her stomach pain

(Vic Priano) #12

So glad I found this subforum, because I’ve been desperate to cycle out some meatsies.

(Julie Pegler) #13

Egg Whites are a reasonable source, but egg whites, veggies and a lot of coconut oil, avocadoes would probably get old quick. High fat (egg yolks) tend to bother people who have gallbladder issues and IBS.

(Charlie Herbert) #14

I lean towards Keto Lacto Ovo Pesca (KLOP) with occasional organ meats. Focus: tons of veggies.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #15

A number of resources are listed here

(Joseph) #16

Absolutely! I am newly converted vegetarian (w/ exception to eggs and cheese), and I do just fine on Keto! I have actually had really great results and probably eaten more veggies in the past month than I have my entire life! I am going to make some fat bombs to help, but for the most part I can eat my required number of carbs per day and not starve and be full of energy/mental clarity!

(Todd Allen) #17

I expect it would be relatively easy for a vegan to eat for nutritional ketosis. They would likely eat less protein and more carbs then is typical, say 50 g protein and 45 g net carbs instead of a more typical 100 g protein and 20 g carbs and achieve a similar insulin load and still manage to be in ketosis.

(Jeanette) #18

I’m a vegetarian and have had a very successful experience being on a keto diet. Where I live in the US there are a lot of meat substitutes that are low carb. Plain tofu is good. A serving of Quorn Roast has 4 g net carbs (add fat to it). One of the best things to come along is Beyond Meat’s Beyond Burger which has 22 g fat, 3g net carb and 20g protein although that amount of protein may be a bit high if you’re following an 80/20 plan like I am but they’re tasty. In addition, you have eggs and dairy, coconut products are great fat sources. I actually absolutely love the keto diet as a vegetarian. FYI, a vegan can go keto as well because of all the alternative products on the market now - there are a lot of non-dairy cheeses and one of my favorites is an almond based cream cheese by Kite Hill which has only 2 g carb per ounce and their almond based ricotta also only 2 g carb per ounce is delicious.

(Mark Myers) #19

I have two friends who are looking to possibly doing keto. One just doesn’t like meat all that much. She isn’t necessarily vegetarian but doesn’t really like beef and pork that much. The other has Alpha Gau and can’t eat four legged animals.Does anyone have any links to some vegetarian or nearly vegetarian meal plans to help these guys get started?

(Brian) #20

I grew up on fake meats. My parents were pretty strict vegetarians so that’s how we were raised.

Have you actually read the ingredients list on some of those meat substitutes? Uughh!!! Do you realize what Quorn is actually made out of? (Last I looked into it, I think the parent company was Astra Zenica, which is fitting when you find out how it’s actually made.)

I’m not entirely comfortable with tofu and a lot of soy products. There are still some questions about hormones, estrogens, those kinds of things that kinda worry me about overall health. And though I will eat some of those things on occasion, I’m not convinced they’re quite as healthy as a long term major food group in my diet. You may disagree, and that’s fine. We’re all entitled to our opinions.

I have seen a few products out there that weren’t as bad, Beyond Meat may have been one of the brands. Kudos to them if they’re the ones I’m thinking of that have just a few ingredients and pretty decent ones.

Here are some vegans who are low carb

When it becomes so restrictive, it’s often hard to get all micronutrients… iron may be quite problematic (who eats 500 g of spinach?).

(Todd Allen) #23

I’m not advocating vegan keto merely stating it shouldn’t be that hard to achieve and sustain ketosis. But undoubtedly the more restrictive one gets with dietary choices, vegan or ZC, the more effort it takes to cover all the micronutrients.

You are completely right.

Just for the fun, I’ve tried to find something reasonable for macronutrients: one cup of flaxseed and five of cubed avocados yield 15g of net carbs, 180g of fat, and 46g of protein (3:1 classic ketogenic diet).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

I’m not sure about the ZC side. The 1927 experiment on Stefansson and Andersen was an attempt to make them develop scurvy or some other deficiency disease; when the experiment ended, the principal investigator considered it a failure because the two men had remained perfectly healthy. Nor were the Inuit among whom they lived ever known for suffering from deficiencies. Dr. Phinney’s take is that the organ meat the Inuit consumed (and which Stefansson and Andersen consumed during the experiment) provides all the necessary micronutrients.

(Todd Allen) #26

It requires more attention to adequately cover all nutrients like manganese and vitamins C, K and folate when ZC, especially if one is eating less for faster weight loss.

I was lacto-ovo for about 23 years, and when I went LCHF/keto, I added seafood back. I still do not eat red meat, pork, or chicken. However, I do quite well protein-wise with fish, shrimp, eggs, dairy, etc. I still eat some tofu, but I’ve also dialed the fake meats waaaaaay back existing as my version of occasional “keto junk food.” (It’s my guilty pleasure to have two LightLife tofu dogs in a low carb wrap every few months or a Morningstar bac’n, egg, and cheese wrap–heh, heh.) These days, I eat eggs and some type of seafood on a daily basis. I honestly believe that I can attribute my lack of cravings for the most part to sticking to real, unprocessed, whole foods by and large. I do think that a <20 g keto is more difficult without a non-plant protein source, and I do think a 35-50g LCHF plan will offer more flexibility. However, if you can mind those B and D vitamins, I say go for a lacto-ovo veg version of keto!

(Brian) #28

Two of the components often used heavily in the vegan community scare me: flax and soy. I may have a bit of each from time to time but I do NOT want to make either a food group. The estrogenic part of it does not appeal. And I’m not convinced that there may not be negative consequences that go pretty far into the health of a person eating them heavily that may take quite a while to show up. I’ve seen things in my long term vegetarian friends that cause me to question whether they’re really even as healthy as their non-vegetarian brothers & sisters, things like heart troubles, gall stones, strokes, diabetes, cancer, and Alzheimer’s, not minor things.

I don’t know about anybody else, but 46g of protein, for me, is a protein deficiency.

(Pshah) #29

Yes I am Vegetarian not vegan. I am doing it for a month. It is not as ez as non vegetarians needs more planning, I am also Indian so I eat paneer(Cheese). No impossible, need to plan your days and meals. Hope this will help.