US News and World Report Best Diets 2018

(Lonnie Hedley) #41

https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/press-room/articles/2018-01-03/us-news-reveals-best-diets-rankings-for-2018

Eat a fat one US News and World Reports…seriously, eat more fat.

(Shantanu) #42

Folks
https://health.usnews.com/best-diet/keto-diet/reviews

The US News and World Report Best Diets 2018 list keto as dead last. All the nutritionists surveyed cannot get past the saturated fat part.

The Keto diet fell near the bottom of the heart-healthy category, with a “minimally effective” score. While dieters will lose weight on Keto, they’ll also give up fruits, whole grains, and starchy and nonstartchy vegetables, one expert noted. “And this is the opposite of what we want for diabetes and heart disease prevention,” the expert said.

Wow!

(Lonnie Hedley) #43

https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/press-room/articles/2018-01-03/us-news-reveals-best-diets-rankings-for-2018

Eat a fat one US News and World Reports…seriously, eat more fat.

(Casey Brown) #44

sigh
http://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/press-room/articles/2017-01-04/us-news-reveals-best-diets-rankings-for-2017

(Ethan) #45

I think that is definitely part of it. There is actually a strong brand identify for those who are NOT part of the keto community, but that brand is Atkins. The external is view that keto == Atkins. However, Atkins was historically more about low carb than high fat. Also, Atkins currently produces some pretty cheap, cruddy products that are clearly unhealthy. Making matters worse is that the keto community disparages (often rightly so) the Atkins brand because of the aforementioned attributes, but also because it allows things we don’t really like, such as maltitol. The paleo diet is related to keto, but they are not necessarily the same. Those of us in the keto world who believe in good foods would lean paleo, but the paleo community itself doesn’t really espouse keto. Then the final factor is that everybody thinks fat is bad.

(Tim W) #46

Let’s be honest here.

The keto diet is tough. The gen pop is lazy, ill-informed, and just looking for a Shepard to lead them (as they are sheep). They relish anyone telling them that the “easy path” is the correct one. They will glom onto the easy way, even though it may keep them sick, keep them broke, keep them in denial. Many truly don’t want to be healthy, financially independent, or aware of their mental processes that have literally betrayed them and led them into slavery. All the while mass media, big food, big pharma take advantage of this phenomenon (that most people are sheep, that they want to be led down the easy path, that they are unaware of their mental programming [mental software], want proof of this, read a book on the psychology of selling, those guys have it figured out…).

I don’t say this lightly, coming to this WOE is an awakening similar to a mental/spiritual awakening, and most people want to stay asleep, they are more comfortable that way.

My response to this report and the other tripe, I ignore it all, I don’t watch the news, I don’t read the social media, and I might read the Sunday paper every month, mostly for the obituaries.

So, rather than trying to depend/retort to this tripe trash, I find it a hell of a lot easier to do what works for me and my body, my family, my pocket book, in short, it’s a lot easier to ignore the noise and just KCKO!

Cheers keto community!

(Rob) #47

Being honest… having been through many diets, Keto is one of the easiest if not the easiest of them all. All diets are hard to start but calorie restricted become brutal after a bit while Keto becomes easier.
The only hard thing about Keto is overcoming the mental constraints of the prior conventional dietary wisdom. Paleo is full of ridiculously over engineered recipes (have you ever bought a Paleo cook book?), weight watchers etc drive you mad with hunger, 5:2 is hard if not fat adapted, cabbage soup etc. are short term fixes at best. Most are based on absurd, tiny scale tests or old debunked science while Keto is designed around how the body actually works at a hormonal metabolic level.
I do agree with all your other points though :grin:

(KCKO, KCFO) #48

Well maybe that will keep all the cereal makers from labeling their grainy products “KETO”. I don’t care what those reports say. I know the truth of Keto/LCHF/Fasting. Don’t care if the world jumps on board or not. Besides I don’t want :bacon: becoming more expensive anyhow. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Tim) #49

I couldn’t agree more. In fact, I started to reply to one of the posts with essentially the same response but you said it much better than I could have.

Saying keto is hard is only partially true. It’s hard in the beginning. However, once fat-adapted, it becomes much easier than any other diet I’m aware of due to the simple fact that cravings for carbs mostly disappear and it’s actually possible to forget to eat due to lack of hunger.

The only thing that might make it difficult for some/many after fat-adaptation is the lack of awareness and acceptance in the general population. If even 10% of the population showed interest in this WOE, the availability of good options at restaurants, supermarkets, etc. would start appearing everywhere. And, at that point, better science might actually start replacing the drivel and scare tactics that currently make the headlines.

In the current environment, however, keto continues to be scary to the uninformed because of fear-mongering and inconvenient for everyone else which, these days, translates to difficult to impossible for most.

(Tim W) #50

I agree with this 100%. Believe me, when I was sitting at the dining room table telling my wife about “this crazy diet where you pour butter over everything” she thought I had lost it. We are early 40’s and well indoctrinated to the “healthy way of eating” (SAD) and it took a lot of effort/energy to overcome the stigma of high fat. We did overcome it though and, after seeing her lose 80 pounds (using fasting as well) and seeing how good I feel, I don’t know that we’ll ever go back. We’ve added a few carbs here and there, some beer on a regular basis, some black-eyed peas on new years day (we are from the south) but we started this journey by removing sugar and simple carbs from our diet, we won’t go back down that path…

Agreed, there isn’t “money” in keto or fasting etc. There is money in big pharma, in atkins bars, in lots of other BS but no cash in “don’t eat or cut the fast food/sugar/carb rich foods” which creates a barrier that most of the public won’t even try to overcome, that’s ok though, more bacon for us! :smile:

I have thought of that, might make a nice class action since they are benefiting financially from their bad advice.

Keto ranks as the worst diet for 2018

I was also going to post something similar. I keep telling people this is the easiest diet to stick to and I have been on them all. I do think you either need to cook or be a very unfussy eater. I personally have a long list of foods I do not eat but that is ok, I can make whatever I want.

It goes beyond the mental constraints and what bothers me is that there are plenty of people who are patients because they are obese or have T2 or both who are more than happy to do what their doctors tell them, whether to eat whole grains or stand naked in the rain, if their doctors tell them, they will do it. The problem is that it does not help, whether for diet or T2. Then the patients blame themselves and their doctors blame them. Meanwhile the advice was bad and will not work. I am not a particularly disciplined person and I can make this work, I have lots of friends who are disciplined, who have every aspect of their lives under control except their weight and blood sugar. They have even said this in the past. If they were given the right tools, they could easily make this work.

There are so many people who try to follow the food pyramid or my plate. You can see the numbers in terms of the reduction in consumption of saturated fat and increase in whole grains from the 1980s. It is people following their doctors or their governments…to obesity and death.

The problem is reports like this make patients feel like keto is bad and they should not try it. I have a Tofi friend who is bedridden from T2, she will do whatever her doctor tells her and he tells her stupid things like eat what you want and adjust your insulin to your food. If he told her you need to cut out carbs, she would do it

I know I shouldn’t waste my time even reading the stupid report, but I’m with Saphire - that it discourages people who might otherwise consider keto.

Paleo, keto and Whole30 - all of which are based on whole foods, and have a ton of science behind various (or all) aspects of their recommendations - ranked below Slim Fast.

Not familiar with Slimfast? I’ll just leave this here:

47 AM

Also - more ranting - their complaints about Whole30 was that it was too restrictive.
Too restrictive is pretty much the point of W30; it’s like a guided n=1 to see how you respond to various kinds of food after you haven’t had them for a month. Also it’s a specifically a short (30 days) program, not a long-term plan (so, really, it shouldn’t even be on the list). And if you really embrace it, you focus on nourishing yourself rather than on obsessing over all the things you can’t eat, and it often is a huge eye opener for folks who thought they were pretty careful with ingredients. W30 is not LC enough for diabetics and doesn’t have many of the benefits of ketosis, so I’m not advocating it for folks on this forum, but it is a huge step in the right direction for folks who are SAD or are afraid of fats.

Man that Paleo diet really sucks. That’s why humanity died out during the Paleolithic period.

(Tim W) #56

Nice!

Has anyone informed us that we all died out? :smile:

It’s all an elaborate dream sequence.

:laughing: This is great!

(Jeff Davis) #59

Wait, so you’re saying we’re not supposed to stand naked in the rain? :slight_smile:

Imo this will only lead to more talk and eventual uptake of the diet.

This news story will backfire as most people will decide to look in to just “how bad” this diet is, and discover practical dietary solutions to “insulin resistance” for the first time. The story will be viewed as an effort to discredit without any science.

Thankfully everybody has access to free information online and can make their own decisions. Unfortunately, those who would blindly follow dietary advice are the only ones who would heed these messages in the first place, and the food industry already has a stranglehold on that audience.