US News and World Report Best Diets 2018

This article was not based on data! It was based on a “panel of experts” that USNews put together. Here is a link to that panel…you will be interested to see who is on in…David Katz for one…so, not surprised of the rankings quite frankly.

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/experts

Here’s the 2016 most popular diet ranking based on number of google searches…ie “data” as opposed to a “panel of experts”…

(charlson.melissa) #23

grrrrrr

(Tim) #24

As might be expected, the blurb about keto diets is very misleading, stating that “you’re basically stuck with vegetables” since all your fats have to be “good fats”. And OBVIOUSLY, good fats ONLY come from plants. /s

(Terri) #25

Lots of nutritionists who are obligated to follow particular guidelines, and medical folks who were likely trained with little nutrition information. Sad.

(John) #26

(Pssst…this is also the diet Tim Tebow follows.)

Guess we had a good run keto folks, i’m out!

Yeah, unfortunately the author of the article takes legit Google analytics data and uses lack of knowledge to describe the data. Little baby steps…at least keto is in the Google top ten radar map…it will take more time for education to penetrate even deeper.

Obligated or conspiring?

There, there @jmbundy…give it a bit more time…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Terry) #30

I love how they include how “easy” a diet is to follow in the score. Difficulty or ease is going to vary greatly from person to person, depending on the individual’s motivation & history. The “judges” are simply calculating their own sugar/flour/carb addictions into the score.

(Shantanu) #31

Folks
https://health.usnews.com/best-diet/keto-diet/reviews

The US News and World Report Best Diets 2018 list keto as dead last. All the nutritionists surveyed cannot get past the saturated fat part.

The Keto diet fell near the bottom of the heart-healthy category, with a “minimally effective” score. While dieters will lose weight on Keto, they’ll also give up fruits, whole grains, and starchy and nonstartchy vegetables, one expert noted. “And this is the opposite of what we want for diabetes and heart disease prevention,” the expert said.

Wow!

(Ethan) #32

Look at what this idiot says–why do you want whole grains, starchy vegetables, and fruits for a person who cannot handle them:

The Keto diet fell near the bottom of the heart-healthy category, with a “minimally effective” score. While dieters will lose weight on Keto, they’ll also give up fruits, whole grains, and starchy and nonstartchy vegetables, one expert noted. “And this is the opposite of what we want for diabetes and heart disease prevention,” the expert said.

Then there is this schmuck who thinks it’s not safe for NO REASON:

The experts, on average, rated the Keto diet as “minimally effective” in preventing or controlling diabetes. “It is not safe for people with diabetes,” one expert said. Still, some research has shown that cutting carbs and avoiding obesity could keep the chronic disease at bay.

This moron is afraid of saturated fat, but probably cannot cite any scientific reason for the belief:

Coming in last in the nutrition category, this diet was rated “extremely incomplete.” Several experts had particular concerns about the diet’s high saturated fat content. “Any diet that recommends snacking on bacon can’t be taken seriously as a health-promoting way to eat,” one expert said.

(Gargantuan B. Widebody) #33

The second a news source discussing diets says “experts” I roll my eyes and imagine some overweight MD who graduated dead last in his class, smoking a cigarette, reading a 1997 copy of AHA dietary guidelines, sipping on a can of slimfast and writing up his expert opinion on an old mac book.

We talked about this in another topic about an article I posted, and that was how there might actually be a liability in recommending, promoting, or even NOT debunking a diet that does not conform to ADA type of standards. A medical malpractice liability or something like that. In the other topic my question was basically why is it they won’t recommend keto but will encourage it if the patient mentions it. And that was the answer, medical malpractice issues.

(Ethan) #35

the standard lack of care, yes.

(Kathy L) #36

Why can’t people WITH T2D sue the ADA for putting forth guidelines that are actually making us sicker? In the suit, attorneys could present relavent studies, and present the flaws in the studies that have shaped the guidelines to begin with…? ( would be interesting anyway)!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

It would certainly be interesting, but I bet they’d find some way to dismiss the case. Gary Fettke was actually censured for reversing his patients’ Type II diabetes instead of cutting their limbs off. It was “inappropriate” of him to do so, because he is a surgeon and not a nutritionist.

(Ethan) #38

There is enough crap science the ADA can cite. Moreover, they just cite their own guidelines and proof they are right.

(Michele) #39

So that’s where the version in our NZ newspaper came from! So annoying reading these articles.

(Lonnie Hedley) #40

https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/press-room/articles/2018-01-03/us-news-reveals-best-diets-rankings-for-2018

Eat a fat one US News and World Reports…seriously, eat more fat.