US News and World Report Best Diets 2018

(Janet) #1

The US News and World Report is at least consistent…yet again they put whatever low carb diet is popular dead last. This year it is Keto and Whole 30. Previously it has been Paleo, Dukan, Atkins, etc.

From Vegan To ‘Keto’ And Mediterranean: Experts Rank 2018’s Best Diets.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/01/03/575181390/from-vegan-to-keto-and-mediterranean-experts-rank-2018s-best-diets

Keto: https://health.usnews.com/best-diet/keto-diet

For Mediterranean Diet (#1) they did use the Oldways definition.

Overall Diets: https://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-diets-overall

ABC News gleefully reports: Keto, Whole30 diets rank last on one best diets of 2018 list
http://abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/keto-whole30-diets-rank-best-diets-2018-list/story?id=51953127

Keto is the worst diet (tied for last)
Here we go again... Another diet ranking based on fat orthodoxy
Here we go again... Another diet ranking based on fat orthodoxy
New article from usnews.com - the "best" diets for 2017
New article from usnews.com - the "best" diets for 2017
(Ethan) #2

@JEY100, your links have “…” in them and do not work.

Otherwise, I am not surprised by their findings. I actually agree that the ketogenic diet is hard for most people. That doesn’t mean it not worth it though! For those who are diabetic, the keto woe ma be the ONLY way to survive healthily. For many, though, it just isn’t worth giving up crappy carbage to live decades longer and in better condition.

(Janet) #3

Fixed links. The ABC news story was on GMA this morning.
““One of our experts said, ‘Any diet that recommends snacking on bacon can’t be taken seriously as a health-promoting way to eat,’” Angela Haupt, assistant managing editor of health at U.S. News and World Report, told ABC News.” Their loss.

(Richard Morris) #4

“One of the concerns with Keto is how high in saturated fat it is,” Haupt said. “Our experts say the diet can be especially dangerous to people with severe diabetes, kidney disease and heart disease.”

Remarkable how many times she manages to be wrong in one sentence.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

. . . and with all their limbs still attached. :grinning:

(Janet) #6

CNN adds some more stupid. http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/04/health/keto-worst-diet-2018/index.html

"If you’re a fan of the “fat-burning” keto diet, you’ll be fired up about its ranking in the 2018 list of best diets from US News and World Report: It’s tied for last, along with the relatively unknown Dukan diet.

Both stress eating a ton of protein and minimal carbs, putting the dieter into “ketosis,” when the body breaks down both ingested and stored body fat into ketones, which it uses as energy. People on such diets often deal with fatigue and light-headedness as they adjust to a lack of carbohydrates.

Though the experts on the US News and World Report panel that created the list said eating that way isn’t harmful short-term, they ranked the diets poorly on long-term weight loss success, ease of use and overall impact on health…continues at link"

I’ve only been at my goal weight seven years because it is so hard to use.

Also CBS:
The best (and worst) diet plans for 2018

Of course the media would pile on a diet that cuts out processed foods and grains. Big food companies buy ads. The drug companies whose products are then needed to “treat” the problems created by eating the :poop: buy BUTTLOADS of ads. We’ve already seen over the years that the mainline US media has absolutely no credibility so this is to be expected.

I do get irritated at blatant lies like :

Huh? What? Um, no. I eat mostly fat, thank you.

Oh, and I don’t “snack” on bacon… I would never relegate my beloved bacon to the role of a “snack food.” Although, I do periodically grab a piece or 3 as a “micro meal”.:grin:

(Georgia) #8

A shout out to everyone on this board who can follow the “restrictive” keto diet and who are able to maintain it long term. (This forum needs a sarcasm font).

(Keto in Katy) #9

Right. Advertisers are financially threatened by carb restriction so that just will not do.

(Ethan) #10

I actually have to agree that keto is hard–for MOST people. It may not be hard for all us. We are smart and highly motivated individuals. Some are biohackers who are super interested in tweaking our health. Others of us are severely metabolically deranged and just want to be healthy and functional in our futures. The fact is that we don’t represent most people in the world. Most people don’t have the will power to make it through a keto flu. Most people don’t have the desire find the lowest-carb, highest-fat foods to optimize our nutrition. Most people can’t or won’t take a minute to read a scientific article and analyze it for its flaws, agendas, and merits. Most people would rather take another pill and blame their progression towards death on something beyond their control.

(Richard Hanson) #11

Hi Richard,

I am T2D and have been keto for 5.5 months. I just had a visit to my doctor and in that time:

A1c : 7/20/17 9.4 : 1/2/18 : 5.1

Obviously, keto is very dangerous for people with Diabetes.

I was on 8 medications including 6 for T2D with a total of 75 units of insulin a day, and now I am on no medications at all.

TRI : 7/20/17 350 : 1/2/18 : 112
HDL : 7/20/17 31 : 1/2/18 : 75
LDL : 7/20/17 54 : 1/2/18 : 180

The uninitiated, the ignorant, including most doctors, would look at the change in my LDL number and spontaneously hemorrhage bad advice, but I have clearly transition from a pattern B to a pattern A lipid profile and my TRY/HDL ratio has improved tremendously. Moreover, at my age, the Framingham data demonstrate that a higher level of LDL is associated with a lower over all risk of mortality. This is one of the reasons I quite taking Simvastatin, my last medication, three months ago. Yes, my LDL increased, but every other number, including HDL, has improved dramatically.

I am a very happy Fat eating Man, a FatMan.

Keto for Life!

Most Respectfully,
Richard

Sad but very true but what makes it worse is that there are people who might try if they were not blatantly lied to by media, the medical industry, drug companies, etc interested in keeping them in a state of chronic illness for profit.

(Lonnie Hedley) #13

https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/press-room/articles/2018-01-03/us-news-reveals-best-diets-rankings-for-2018

Eat a fat one US News and World Reports…seriously, eat more fat.

Should we expect fair and balanced reporting from a media interested in profit, whose profit model includes large advertising revenue from companies that make processed foods and drugs to treat the damage?
Media in the US have no more credibility than pharma reps.

(Lonnie Hedley) #15

True, but no less annoying.

(Sophie) #16

Can we get a moderator to merge these threads? This is like the 3rd one I’ve seen with the same info.

(Mike W.) #17

I’m also sick of the click bait titles…

(Casey Brown) #18

sigh
http://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/press-room/articles/2017-01-04/us-news-reveals-best-diets-rankings-for-2017

(Connor L) #19

It looks like the main issue is that Keto/Paleo doesn’t have a strong enough brand.

If I started Konnor’s Keto Klinic (ah geez…), then I think with enough franchising we’d be in the list too. :stuck_out_tongue: But, gotta make those products. Keto Bars. Keto Shakes… throws hands up in the air

(Casey Brown) #20

And the MIND diet mentioned actually bans red meat and butter. facepalm