Too much dairy

(JacquiB) #1

I have recently started the Keto lifestyle and have been strict with macros but still the highest reading I can get is 0.4 with my blood ketone meter. I eat a lot of dairy to get my required fat, could too much dairy be keeping me out of ketosis?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #2

Not if you are at net 20 grams carbohydrate or below, no.
.4 is the start of nutritional ketosis.
Congrats. You’re there.

(Chantay) #3

Ooh, really?! I finally got .4 on my meter, I thought I was still not technically in nutritional ketosis! Yaaaaaaaaaay!!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #4

Meh, close enough. Besides, even though you are testing blood ketones and that is very accurate, they may be lower because at that time you were using them up! Don’t stress.
.4 is good.

You are my Keto hero! Your big picture focus makes me smile every time I come here! I need to keep channeling you as I lose the forest for the trees sometimes :blush:

Potentially, if it doesn’t agree with you. Sadly, dairy is an area that messes things up for some people. The only way to find out if you are one of them or not is to cut it for a few weeks and then test it. You can isolate out the lactose first to see if that is a problem. If it is then you still have quite a few dairy options. You are only just under at 0.4 so I would KCKO for now.

(JacquiB) #7

I’m sorry I am just a newbie and have seen KCKO and have no idea what it means :slight_smile: Thank you so much for your reply

Hello All,

Being an indian and used to eating Naan and Rotis wasn’t easy to give them up but I still eat them once every 7-10 days. How bad can it be? Does it take a long time to get my body back into Keto? How do I measure if my body is in Keto or not? Blood sample kits from Amazon?

Thanks

KCKO – Keep Calm and Keto On :smiley:

(JacquiB) #10

Oh hahaha makes sense now, thank you :slight_smile:

You might like this post too for future reference. I used to have acronym blindness too!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #12

That’s is entirely up to you.
Though I strongly discourage eating the SAD diet if you are diabetic or insulin resistant.
It will keep you sick.

If I were to eat one small naan, I might stay in ketosis. But any more than that and it’ll be 3-4 days to get back in. You’re raising insulin whenever you do that, so there may be health effects as well.

But we all do this at our own pace, so it may work fine for you. If you’re measuring ketones, do an experiment and see what happens!

Oh and the best way to measure ketones is with a blood glucose meter that also measures ketones. Precision and Nova are two brands I know of. You can buy them online or on Amazon. There are sometimes offers for a free meter when you buy the ketone strips also — that’s how I got my Nova from the company’s website.

(JacquiB) #14

This is so handy and now everything makes sense Thank you :grinning:

(Ethan) #15

@lakshay,

I know there are a lot of brands, but this one says 48g of carbs… It can be quite bad.

http://www.indianlife.com/product/garlic-naan/

Here’s a recipe for 25g (for 3 pieces) “Low-Carb” Naan Bread:

Still pretty high though.
:frowning:

(Lesley) #17

@boblangdon Only 6g net carbs though. :slight_smile: I’ve made this lots recently. Love it, and stayed in ketosis while eating it.

Ahah, I needed a few days to figure out that BS is not something stupid lol :slight_smile:

(Barry Johnson) #19

My Indian friend turned so many traditional Indian dishes into the most amazing dishes…of course without nan and the like however there are many alternatives diet doctor has a nan version recipe as does KetoDiet app (which I highly recommend)…cauliflower rice works well also (I hate cauliflower by the way but when mixed with say butter chicken OMG…just apply the Keto principles to your dishes and you will be amazed…one problem my friend did encounter was from her friends who thought she was mad not eating rice and all those culturally significant carbs…but when they saw the wt drop off curiosity took over…her doctor initially against her madness is now Keto adapted a full convert lol…oh to answer your question to eat carbs it takes approximate three days to get back into ketosis…there have actually been studies on this by Dr. Dominic D’Agostino Diet Doctor is a fantastic resource

@Lakshay Well, there are good keto breads and bad ones… In my early weeks towards fat adaptation, a few times I had 1/8 of a whole wheat chapati with butter as a snack because I couldn’t bear the idea of saying goodbye to my comforting breads.

HOWEVER, Headbanger’s Kitchen (Sahil Makhija, in Mumbai) has an excellent keto naan recipe, with technically only 4gms net carbs per serving :smiley: https://headbangerskitchen.com/recipe/keto-naan-low-carb-tortillas/