The Great Big Public Keto Before And After Thread!

(Roberta) #144

Awww thank you all. It is hard for me to notice changes, I see me everyday! I am also my toughest critic.

(mwall) #145

Within the context of your disclosure, congratulations and condolences on your incredible and painful losses! :yellow_heart:

(Brian) #146

Awesome, Roberta! Thanks for sharing some of your journey and the pics. :slight_smile:

Yup, weā€™re often our own worst critics. I know when people say something like, ā€œyouā€™ve lose an awful lot of weightā€, pretty much the first thing I think is, ā€œI have 30 more pounds to goā€. (Well, almost, I think Iā€™m finally breaking down below that 225 plateau. Thatā€™s been a sticky one for me.) I also see myself in the mirror every day and see that ā€œrollā€ around the middle. Oh, itā€™s way, way smaller than it used to be. But Iā€™m not there yet.

Hoping Iā€™ll be able to post some pics maybe a year from now. Planning a trip to AZ to see my son this coming winter and hope we can find the same cactus my wife and I had our pictures taken in front of about 4 or 5 years ago. I think it will be a rather striking contrast.

(Karen Dierolf) #147

Thank you. A co- worker of mine made up a new word that perfectly describes it - congradudolances! Too perfect! Ha. Thank you again for the kind words. I truly believe keto has saved my life.

(Karen Dierolf) #148

I am really excited to see that day. However, my body seems to be very happy to be right where I am as Iā€™ve been stalled for three months. But I am keeping calm and ketoing on. Iā€™ll get there soon enough.

(Rachel) #149

No pics, but fun thing. Iā€™m down about 15 pounds. Just starting out, so no big inch changes (yet)ā€¦ But, today, mid-hug, my hubby stopped and just stared at me for a few seconds and said, ā€œyouā€™re smaller than you were.ā€ Iā€™ll tell you, I couldnā€™t stop smiling. First time someoneā€™s noticed. :wink:

Terrible pics, but still using the same old phone! Posting this is more than a bit intimidating (yikes!) but so much of what I now know ā€“ and how I now am ā€“ is due to this forum, the Kickarse Keto Bitches FB women, 2KD and KetoWoman podcasts that it seems the least I could do is try to encourage others.

My starting weight was 212, and as of today I have released 68 pounds of fat: all while thoroughly enjoying the types and amount of food that I eat! No exogenous ketones, no shakes, no pills, no public weigh-ins, no fancy equipment, not even really any sustained exercise. Nothing but fat & protein & limited carbs ā€“ itā€™s what my body wants, so itā€™s what my 59 year old body now gets!

I have said here before that I majored in Art, so thatā€™s how my brain works. So while I donā€™t always understand the science discussions, I listen/read over and over and some tiny bits are actually getting through. At least enough for me to begin to understand and bolster my ability/capacity to keep this journey to complete health going and going and going.

My biggest concern and source of anxiety is maintenance - the longest part of this journey. And lo and behold the forum comes through again! The Maintenance thread is extremely helpful, and those long-time maintainers give me courage and belief that maintenance can become a way of life.

I cannot express my gratitude enough. I feel like ME for the first time in way, way, way too long! Thank you all! (And I ditched the Crocs, too. Well almost!)

PS - Please add @2KDudes watermark! I am technically-challenged but I donā€™t want anyone to use for other purposes! I get too much keto supplement spam to know that it can easily happen! Thanks!

(Ellen) #151

Amazing Katy!

(Wendy) #152

Amazing! I had to laugh at myself because I was looking at the top and bottom ā€œafterā€ pictures and couldnā€™t tell a difference. :blush:

(Wendy) #153

Love your story Katy! Youā€™ve done amazing too!

(Karen) #154

Legs trimmed up nicely too!

KS

(cheryl) #155

You look great ā€¦ how long did it take to lose the 68 pounds ? I started the last week of February 2018 and I have lost 18 poundsā€¦ I am setting 20 pound at a time goals so 2 pounds to go on my first hill :smile:

(cheryl) #156

Simply Awesome.

Good job! I have been keto for just about 11 months, and I am still on the road. I would like to lose about 75 total, but am in no hurry. I lost the first 50 in about 6 months, and the remaining has been slower to come off, which I understand is normal and I am patient! (BTW - just so you know, I have not done perfect Keto for the past 11 months. But the true miracle for me is when I do slip, Keto has been the easiest thing for me to get back on the right track! This is my true miracle - that has never been an option on other WOEs before!). KCKO!

(Mike Glasbrener) #158

Sounds like my childhood!

(Nathan Hall) #159

2016APR-oblique
4 April 2016 - 245 lbs. (Daughterā€™s face whited out because this is a public thread.)

2017FEB-SW
February 2017 - 197 lbs.

26 April 2018 - 188 lbs.

My name is Nathan. What have I lost on Keto? High blood pressure, sleep apnea, chronic back pain, recurring eczema, elevated blood sugar, and about 57 lbs. :slightly_smiling_face: I have never felt healthier.

What did I NOT LOSE on keto? My job. You see, Iā€™m in the military and am required to not exceed a specified height to weight (or height to waist circumference) ratio. In April of 2016, I definitely exceeded that. I was in danger of not going to required schools to keep my rank (big pay cut), and if it continued, I could loose my job.

Initially, I just cut back on my carbohydrates a bit, since that worked for me a few years earlier. I had some moderate success. (~10 lbs.) Later in April I heard about the Ketogenic Diet. On a whim, I did a search in a podcast app and came across the 2 Keto Dudes. June 1st 2016, I decided to give Keto a honest shot. By August of 2016, I weighed in at 212 pounds, only exceeded the weight requirement by 1 pound, and easily passed the waist measurements.

By February of 2017 (Pictured) I weighed 197 pounds. I include these to show that, not only did I lose the weight, but Iā€™ve kept it off for over a year. Iā€™ve also continued to see health improvements and hope that friends and family will be able to experience the same.

Friends wake up call or not so much
(Arlene) #160

Very impressive transformation!!! Iā€™m guessing you will be a walking example of what ā€œhealthy eatingā€ truly looks like. Thanks for sharing your story.

(Dawn Meyer) #161

I have been on the Atkins diet for approximately 2 years. I am at a decent weight, however would like to loose another 10 lbs. I do not totally understand the Keto diet versus the Atkins diet. I try to stay in the phase 1 or 2 of the Atkins diet. I have not introduced low carb bread or anything like that during the Atkins diet. I am confused by reading some of the remarks. Some saying they eat fat bombs and many of the low carb keto recipes include almond flour which I have never introduced into my diet. Is there a book or can someone tell me a website that will help me understand how phase 1&2 Atkins diet is different from the Keto diet?

Well done Nathan! Inspirationalā€¦ I started keto 12 weeks ago and my original goals were 1) reduce BGs(T1D for 45yrs) 2)Lose weight (having followed medical advice of low fat, med carb ā€œdietā€ for many years and struggled with weight for at least 40 years of this).

After only 12 weeks Iā€™ve lost 8kgs, significantly reduced my BGs (average FBGs of 3.5- 5.0 90% of time).BUT the most significant thing for me is improvement in mental health (never felt better!). This wasnā€™t an original goal but WOW!!!.

Great to read your story. Thank you for sharing with us.:smile: Ali

(Raj Seth) #163

@NathanHall Isnā€™t it wonderful how you look different everywhere? Your face now shows features, unpadded with fat. Looking great, and I am sure feeling great! Congratulations :+1: :muscle::muscle: