The Great Big Public Keto Before And After Thread!

(Todd Gamel) #286

That’s awesome, I have never had a twin :grinning:. Congratulations on your weight loss and being and getting your blood sugars under control, again that is simply fantastic.

So here the rub, I am not sure that I totally agree with your hypothesis and here is why. While metformin does “slow down” gluconeogenesis, it does not totally suppress it. Your liver will still continue to make small amounts of glucose that your body needs to function even if you are not eating any carbohydrates. In fact, metformin should help increase your insulin sensitivity, which lowers your blood sugar.

In addition, metformin should not have any effect on decreasing ketone generation/production, rather it should help promote ketone generation/production. When there is an absence of glucose, your liver should breakdown stored fat into ketones which your body can then use for fuel when you are fat adapted.

Now, I have not seen any specific studies that show that metformin actually helps or hinders keytone production, and my logic may fail me. But if I understand the process of fat adaptation and keytone production, then having less glucose to burn for energy, should cause your body produces more keytones. I am sure that if I am incorrect, there is someone on here that can explain it better than me.

Again, you are to be commended on your progress, I am glad that the ketogenic way of eating has reversed your diabetes and most likely saved another life.

(Michelle Britt) #287

The way you explained it is the exact way that my old endocrinologist explained it to me, as well as my obstetrician during my last two pregnancies who encouraged me eat low carb and take metformin during both pregnancies. Both doctors explained that metformin would help ketosis rather then hinder it. I never had a single issue getting into or staying in ketosis while I took metformin. I assume all bodies respond different and maybe dosage amounts mattered. I took 2500 mg a day to control my diabetes as well as PCOS. And I took it for ten years.

(Raj Seth) #288

Sorry. Misspoke. Metformin hinders not totally suppresses GNG. If it could totally suppress GNG it would be in the deadly drug category since GNG is a very fundamental process to keep the brain/RBCs/kidney cortex etc alive. I doubt that there is anything short of liver removal or termination that could STOP GNG

(icky) #289

Not being diabetic myself, I can’t say much about Metformin other than I watched a video with Dr Phinney the other day and he sounded pretty pro-Metformin.

(Aimee Moisa) #290

I swear to gawd Jennifer, you look like a sexy model now. When I grow down I hope I look just like you! :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #291

That is a totally hilarious autocorrect. KCKO! :bacon:

@sugar-addict I’m not entirely convinced that “pro-Metformin” is the very best phrase to describe Dr. Phinney, but it is certainly safe to say that he considers it helpful and minimally harmful. It’s the one diabetes drug that Virta Health encourages its patients to continue taking, even though they wean them off all the other diabetes drugs.

(Raj Seth) #292

What’s up with that. I didn’t write that - nuh-uh :joy:

Fixed it. Was a funny autocorrect!

(Randy) #293

Awesome Todd!!!

(Marina) #294

I’ve watched/listened to so many of your YouTube videos Christina! You’ve been such an amazing source of motivation. Glad you quit that job :slight_smile:

(Marina) #295

A little late to the party, but I’ll listen today!

(Christina) #296

Thanks! :slight_smile:

(Ron D. Garrett) #297

Thank you!

(JS) #298

Can you give me a link to that post? Evidently, I’m not terribly skilled at Searching. Many thanks!

(Jeanne Wagner) #299

@TQuilla here is the post with the link you asked for with Brenda’s story in it.

(Jeanne Wagner) #302

@TQuilla https://www.dietdoctor.com/life-is-good

(Tina) #303

imageSo, didn’t do before and after pics, but came across 2 fb pics from before and after my 45lb weight loss. I lost 45 lbs in 120 days (September through December) by cutting all grains, sugar, and processed foods and doing intermittent fasting. I did go all the way to keto in October and I’m still keto now. I’ve been coasting so far this year and maintaining that 45 lb loss without any additional effort and only fasting 16 hrs/ day 5 days per week - only occasionally tossing is a 2 or 3 day fast.

Still haven’t been able to work in a regular exercise program except for my daily morning 20 min yoga practice. But it’s not an aversion to exercise- which would have been the case a year ago. Just too much travel and disruption to routine to get a habit to stick. I’m going to focus on at least getting in 30 min walking per day.

I will plan ramp back up on Intermittent fasting, and tighten up on keto over the next 3 months and attempt to tackle those last 15 lbs.

I’d been slowly gaining weight over the last 12 years. I thought the middle aged spread was inevitable and that I’d never be able to get back to my normal weight. I’d been pre diabetic since at least 2013 but the doctors were so focused on my naturally high LDL that they didn’t even mention my A1C.

latest blood test: my HDL is now up to 72, Triglycerides down in the 60s. A1C up a bit to 5.3 which getting back to a regular IF protocol should improve. inflammatory markers are improved thanks to the fact that my new doctor ran a full cardio metabolic panel which picked up a common MTHFR gene mutation that I have and just a change in multi vitamin to one that contains mentholated b vitamins took care of several issues.

I know all my friends and family pretty much groans and rolls their eyes when I post podcasts and youtube videos about low carb and functional medicine approaches to health. This is my N=1 results. And I see hundreds of others here ever day. People that have been able to go off of diabetic meds, anxiety and depression meds, and reverse many other health issues.

We may never be as thin or strong as we once were, but needn’t resign ourselves to being sick and tired the rest of our lives.

Oh, and BTW I had a coronary calcium scan done and have zero calcification. So much for LDL corresponding to heart disease. Watch The Widow Maker on Netflix to learn more about the $130 scan that actually looks for heart disease and could save your life.

Wow, great progress! Keep it up!

I love seeing before and after pictures because now I know it is possible to get younger. You look great and you are healthier!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #305

When I realized the feeling was returning in my foot, I cried too. I still remember that day. Keto is amazing.

(Ron) #306

Brenda,
Can I ask, did the pain get worse before it got better?
I ask because it seems as though the sensitivity of my feet is increasing causing more awareness of the pain. If there is a chance that this is true and signs of a path to betterment then I will gladly endure and consider it a blessing.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #307

Exactly.
Good news! You are healing!