Thanksgiving Day

(Jenny) #18

@PaulL, This is the base recipe I used to get to the cubed bread part of stuffing; after that it was pretty much like regular stuffing (sauteed vegetables, aromatics, maybe ground sausage or giblets, etc. with a bit of chicken stock): www.recipecommunity.com.au/breads-rolls-recipes/lchf-paleo-gluten-free-sugar-free-nut-free-buns/1bjllyb7-43408-172340-cfcd2-y9edixa4 and adding ground sage to the dough to give it a strong stuffing flavor. Once the rolls were cooked and cooled a bit, i cubed them and then crisped/dried them a bit in the oven to get them to a more crouton-like consistency. (By the nature of the dough, it will likely not be fully dried, but that will still work).

(Amy Ramadan) #19

Thanks so much!!! No rush…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

Muchas gracias. Definitely giving it a try this year.

(Dottie LeBlanc) #21

For the past say, six or so years we have done Taco Thanksgiving. I have a kid with a bday on the 27th, two huge meals with just our little family so close together seemed overwhelming. My dad moved in with us last year so i did the whole big dinner thing for his benifit and i guess ill have to do it again this year. IT seems like EVERYTHING but the bird is a carbovaurs feast. Im glad someone is already thing about it, because i dreamed of drowning in mashed potatoes last week…lol

(Lauren) #22

I’ll make the bird (injected and rubbed with so much butter) and ham. Bird cavity stuffed with onions, garlic, and something else to give flavor. I’ll also make my broccoli, cheese, and bacon casserole and a squash/cheese casserole. Idk what I’ll do for dessert yet.

(KCKO, KCFO) #23

We don’t like turkey all that much. But last Thanksgiving we had dinner with a fellow ketoer, and the main was roasted turkey legs. They were delicious. So might have that again, but I would not mind a ham at all.

For starters, try this easy liver pate or a cheese plate with almond crackers, which also go well with the pate:

I add a couple of tablespoons of sesame seeds to this basic recipe for almond flour crackers

For veggies, a broccoli and cauliflower or green beans casserole, like the traditional ones but use low carb alfredo sauce instead of a can of mushroom sauce. You can top it with onions you fry yourself, coating made with almond flour instead of gluten flour, not the canned ones. I think everyone should do that instead of the one that most of us grew up with, luckily I didn’t have to endure that, but most of my friends loved it as a kid. Brussel sprouts with bacon would be yummo.

Cauliflower mash for mashed potatoes, add garlic powder to them so they taste more like traditional mashed potatoes.

For dessert, this combines two favorites, pumpkin pie and cheesecake, keto pumpkin cheesecake muffins

Here is a great list of stuffing recipes, I like this bloger a lot and have used a lot of her recipes, all were good.

So the holidays don’t have to ruin your way of eating. Another holiday meal I enjoy is cheese fondue, I use keto biscuits instead of French bread cubes, steamed broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, and ham cubes for dipping into it. I splurge and have half an apple cubed too as a “dessert”.

Enjoy the holidays and your family and friends. If you slip up, just get right back to eating keto the next day and get on with it.

(Kema V) #24

I absolutely need this in my life!!! Looking immediately.

(Brian) #25

I don’t know when Broccoli arrived on the American shores, I’d have to go look that up. But it is good eats. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, Thanksgiving is another of our holidays that probably has little resemblance to anything that actually would look like real history. I went searching for some of the real events that lead up to what is considered the first Thanksgiving celebration by those early Puritans and I stopped reading after some of the horrible events surrounding it. It’s especially dreadful if you happen to look from a Native American perspective and find that “Thanksgiving” is more likely to be a day of mourning.

Perhaps it’s best that all of the dirty laundry of that era hasn’t survived to be common knowledge today. It really wasn’t so pretty at all. I think I’ll come to Thanksgiving day and offer up a thankful spirit, thankful that we have what we do have, the freedoms, the health, and the wealth that we do have, for I am doing better than I deserve.

:slight_smile:

Sounds great! What time do you want me and the wife to show up? :grin:

(Carpe salata!) #27

Hey @WickedLowCarbJen
Broke my fasting with ribs and your creamed spinach. That hint of nutmeg is inspired.
I modified to what I had but YUMMY. Chopped silverbeet, grated cheese and double-cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg. I forgot the onion … next time. :slight_smile:

(Jenny) #28

@Peter - glad you enjoyed it. It’s really adaptable to whatever you have on hand anyway, so NBD if it ends up sans onion.

(Carpe salata!) #29

@WickedLowCarbJen Yeah. I’m going to fry up the onion and add it into my bone broth I put on yesterday. I used raw bones which is probably OK but i realise the recipe said to bake them for 30mins on 350 first … I’ll do that next time too :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

I think the flavor might be a bit enhanced by cooking the bones, but there’s no earthly reason why you can’t use them raw.

Well, I’m against Turkey (we have a bad history), so I think I will talk my DH into prime rib this year.(Bring on the horseradish!)
We’ll have Asparagus (maybe cream cheese stuffed and prociutto wrapped). Mixed salad.
Looking at recipes for rolls/ bagels

I’m the only one on keto, but looking at some type of sweet potato dish- like fries or just baked for the rest of fam.
I might attempt a nutcrusted butter pecan buttery cheesecake for desert, but well see.
I plan on keeping it simple- I dont need 1000 dishes like I grew up with.
No mac n cheese, stuffing, cranberry sauce, collards, extra meat (ham), gravy, marshmellow yams, sweet potatoe pie this year :slight_smile:
We’re a small fam with little children and I don’t need stuff to go to waste either.

I know alot of people who aren’t celebrating thanksgiving anymore for that reason. But I believe in reformation😉

(KCKO, KCFO) #33

Why would collards not be invited to the party? Very keto and a traditional fall veggie too.

Nothing wrong with collards- I just prep them every 1-2 weeks and end up eating the twice in that week.

(KCKO, KCFO) #35

Here is another good thread on this topic:

(KCKO, KCFO) #36

Several of these sounded good to me, the chicken soup and the caramel cheesecake especially so.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

Just as long as you’re not opposed to Greece. Fat to satiety, don’t ya know. . .

(Gee, sometimes I really crack myself up!) :rofl::rofl: