Store bacon grease - tips?

I have been using a mason jar to store bacon grease and it works ok. Any “hacks” or trick you all use to share to make it a little mote slick… pun intended.

Thanks!

Do yourself a favor, make oven bacon!
(LongHaulKeto) #2

I keep mine on the counter in a pretty jar

(Richard Morris) #3

I have an old ceramic jar from buying stilton at CostCo and eating stilton … and having a ceramic jar left :slight_smile:

I also try not wasting money buying more stuff. I re use jars (pickles, olives, etc).

(Guardian of the bacon) #5

Who has extra bacon grease? It seems to disappear as fast as I make it around here.

I remember the days when I was younger and my family always had a grease container. I got one fairly similar that has a built in strainer. It’s something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Imusa-Aluminum-Grease-Dipsenser-Quart/dp/B0018EA048

(I like to post memes!) #7

I use an old jar. Have also poured into silicone molds and froze, then bagged them in the freezer.

I store bacon grease in a mason jar in the fridge. It’s too cool in my house for it to pour out of a grease container. :grinning:

(Jason) #9

Don’t store it in coconut oil jars like I did. It does not taste good in BPC.

(LongHaulKeto) #10

Yeah…as much as I love bacon . don’t think I’d like it in my keto
coffee😁

Does bacon grease need to be refrigerated?

(suzanna) #12

I’ve never refrigerated mine. My mom never did either. She has the same aluminum canister I remember from my childhood (I’m 53!)
I use cute little pots on the side of the stove (with lids) made by le creuset

(LongHaulKeto) #13

I leave mine sit on the counter.Same with butter.

(Michelle) #14

Does anyone know how long you can leave bacon grease on the counter? I use it in cooking as much as I can, but it keeps piling up (new on top of old). Does it have a shelf life?

I don’t have that problem, food absorbs the grease. Also, when I fry, there’s like a half inch of fat in the pan (many tablespoons). If you only use only a spoon, I can see how it will add up in the jar.

(LongHaulKeto) #16

I use mine up to fast to know! But I do just keep adding to the jar. If
I’ve gotten to the bottom where tbe brown has settled, I’ll clean it out &
start over

I use a small kitchen sieve to catch the brown bits…keep them out of the jar. I find they have a tendency to burn when re used.

(Mark Bousquet) #18

That’s how it should be. :wink:

(LongHaulKeto) #19

Thats a great idea!

(I like to post memes!) #20

@ginnyshelby Thx!!