Store bacon grease - tips?

(Mark Bousquet) #21

Personally, I have two glass jars I keep in the fridge. One in use and the other in process of being filled!

(Guardian of the bacon) #22

I just leave it on the counterā€¦not dead yet. At least not as of the time of this posting

What are you are all using it for - just as extra fat for cooking or anything more exciting? Mine seems to go to wasteā€¦

Use it to fry or cook your food. Hereā€™s an example of cooking my shrimp in bacon grease last night

(Guardian of the bacon) #25

As a cooking oil, Add a nice bacon essence to stir fry. A dab in your coffee is nice. Baconaise is a thing. Let your imagination roam free!!!

(LongHaulKeto) #26

@Gem I use it for frying & have also used ii in place of olive oil for making mayonnaise.

(LongHaulKeto) #27

OMG! Shrimp fried in bacon grease is gonna my next meal!

So - I though I would report back on my OCD bacon grease storage solution. I did not come up with his on my own - just put it together from the great answers in this thread. Maybe this will work for others.

TOOLS

• Mason Jar
  • Silicone Ice Cube tray
  • Small OXO sieve.
  • Baconā€¦ :slight_smile:

I got the blue silicone ice cube trays at Bed Bath and Beyond. 7.99 for 2 I think. I find these handy for a number of things and were pretty cheap. Obviously others will work fine.

I prefer straining the grease to get the larger bits out. I think this cooks better/nicer depending on the dish.

I simply cook up my bacon - strain the grease into the mason jar and wait for it to cool. I fill up the ice cube tray about 3/4 or so and freeze them. I then transfer the frozen cubes to a dated storage freezer bag. It is easy enough to cut them in to smaller pieces if I needed. YMMV

Seeā€¦ I told you OCD and totally overthoughtā€¦ but thatā€™s me I guess :slight_smile: To complete this ridiculousness - below is an obligatory picture. You know - a picture or it didnā€™t happen.

Thanks again to all who helped a newbie out!

Yeah, and the best part it is so freakin easy to prepare. This is why when I see shrimp on sale at the store, I get lots and throw in the freezer. Quick easy meals in the future!

This is fantastic ideaā€¦great picture and description, too!

(Kathy L) #31

Good idea-thanks!!

(Patrick B.) #32

I use a really well-cleaned Folgers coffee container. Have you tried Bacon Mayo? Mmmm

(Charles Keezer ) #33

I use a mason jar. I fill it about half way then I render the fat and superset all the bits. And then use. I keep filling it as I cook more bacon, and about once a month repeat the process of getting the bits out. Tastes like pure bacon.

(LongHaulKeto) #34

Love this idea!

(LongHaulKeto) #35

Great idea!

Iā€™ve kept my bacon drippings in a used/empty Beef Tallow jar in the fridge. I strain drippings through a coffee filter and add to the jar. I like that the dripping are nice and clean using a filter. After reading this thread Iā€™m going to try storing it at room temp, that way the new additions will mix with the older fat I may also try the individual mold idea.
Thanks for all the input on this thread.

(Zakayla) #37

Oh no bueno in the BPC! :scream:

(John B) #38

This is what Iā€™ve been doing for years now. I take a small bowl (a ramekin) and line it with foil. Then, pour any leftover bacon grease into the foil, and put the whole thing in the freezer. The following day (or when you get to it) remove the foil. Any left over bits of burnt bacon have fallen to the bottom. I have, at times, used a shredder to scrape the burnt bits off, but this can be messy. What I do now is, when I need a little bacon fat for frying, I put the frozen disk with burnt bits side up in my frying pan and heat it up. As it begins to shrink, and the clean grease getā€™s liquefied, I just remove it before it getā€™s to the burnt portion and throw it out. I like this because if I donā€™t need all the fat that that I have frozen, I can take it out sooner and put the remainder in a ziplock bag and pop it back in the freezer!

I have a coffee cup I donā€™t use much so I put a napkin around the top ( with a dip in the middle) put a rubber band on to hold it. I pour the slightly cooled grease over it and the napkin strains the bits. After a while I just toss the napkin, cover the mug, and stick it in the fridge.
I cook with it a lot so longevity of storage isnā€™t an issue.