So confused after 4 days

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #41

Life is difficult enough, don’t make it worse for yourself.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #42

(PSackmann) #43

My favorite for this type of craving is a pat of butter with some salt sprinkled on it. Follow with some water, then repeat after 10 minutes if still feeling that craving. This will give you a bit of fat for satiety, and salt to help with electrolyte balance.

Butter is a real food, as are avocados and olives. Chicken legs and thighs have a good fat to protein ratio if you eat the skin, as do most steaks, and regular ground beef.

Although I don’t drink it any more, here’s how I did it…Table spoon of butter or coconut oil. Pour in hot coffee. Use hand stick blender to froth it. Without frothing/mixing with hand stick or blender, it’s an oil-slicked mess on top of the coffee. :nauseated_face: Heavy blending makes all the difference.

(shelley) #45

Should I be eating the fat on the chicken?
I have heard wings are okay on Keto.

(Barri) #46

There are plenty of recipes on the internet, almost as many as there are people who drink it. People add all kinds of things to their “bulletproof” coffee, but it is basically coffee with fat in it, and typically some combination of butter and coconut oil.

(shelley) #47

Butter may be a real food, but I am not going to have a stick of it for lunch, I guess what I meant was main meal food.

Shelly, what happened between this this thread and what you posted in February, 2018? Seems to me that you knew alot more about what to eat in February, 2018 than you seem to know in this thread. Your menu below (minus the yogurt and berries) is pretty spot on keto.

[quote]Typical day, breakfast 2 eggs, some cheese and a quarter avacado, lunch is some chicken with veggies (tomatoes, cucumbers). Dinner is either chicken, steak or fish (in olive oil with butter), 1/4 avacado, zucchini noodles with low carb salsa, parmesan cheese,
olives. Snack either nuts or Greek high fat yogurt with berries. I usually have one coffee a day with 18% fat cream.[/quote]

(PSackmann) #49

No one suggested you should do so.

(Doug) #50

To each their own. :slightly_smiling_face: It can be compelling once you start in on it. Many is the time I’ve gotten out a stick or larger piece, and while cooking something else or watching TV or playing games I’ll whittle away on the butter and before I know it a lot is gone…

(shelley) #51

unfortunately after gaining the weight the 1st week, I figured I was doing things all wrong and gave up. But I keep hearing about Keto being a good diet, I really want to give it a chance, but am as confused as I was before and don’t want to gain or give up.

I will look over everything I have read hear and try my best.

I still need some kind of snack, the butter thing is not going to cut it :frowning:

(shelley) #52

will it work if I melt the butter and pour it in the coffee, I don’t have a blender

(shelley) #53

So you just chew on a stick of butter? Isn’t that very unhealthy?
I am concerned regarding so much fat, is this not cause of heart attack?

(PSackmann) #54

There are plenty of recipes for savory fat-bombs on the site, but don’t knock a bit of butter and salt until you’ve tried it. I understand, I was leery myself at first, it’s surprisingly satisfying, especially if you keep it to a pat at a time.

I sometimes use corned beef or rare Angus beef instead of the Canadian bacon. You could even use some sliced or shredded chicken. Even some lox. Any meat would do. Whatever is convenient (and tasty?) that has almost no carbs.

I typically use the Sargento sliced cheeses.

Nothing wrong with proteins. Its carbs that aren’t wanted.

(Doug) #56

I usually cut off pieces with a knife. Healthy fat, by itself, really isn’t to be feared by most of us, despite much of the thinking of the past few decades.

(Joey) #57

@shellsown1 Dear Shelley -

What you are doing DEFINITELY won’t work for you. Full stop. :bomb:

Please, stop what you are doing and take a few days/weeks to learn more about how to be successful at transitioning from your current diet to a ketogenic diet that WILL work for you. What you are doing will NOT work and will end poorly.

You’ve gotten a mix of responses and much of what you’ve heard might be useful. But you should not be confused (or hungry!) going into this keto thing if you are going to be happy and successful.

Again, please stop. Hit reset. And spend more time learning about what will work properly for you. What you have described thus far is already making you miserable … and that is not how this is supposed to work.

(Polly) #58

Butter is not in itself unhealthy, but it is not particularly nutritious either. You need to change your mindset. Fat does not cause heart disease, that is a myth sold to us by Ancel Keys in the 1950s and perpetuated by big pharma.

Sugar is probably the cause of heart disease.

If you snack you will suffer from repeated elevated insulin which is bad for the body in many ways.

Please forget everything you thought you knew and start at the beginning. Limit your carbs to less than 20g per day and eat protein and fat until you are no longer hungry. Repeat this daily until you are settled into ketosis and then tweak the regime to suit yourself.

(Scott) #59

^^^this
If you eat two or three meals than eat enough and enjoy them. Snacking has got to go. It is hard at first but once you break the habit you will start to lose weight.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #60

Start at the beginning, read and then read more. This will give you a place to start so you can whittle down to specific questions on anything you need more guidance with. Once you grasp how the a ketogenic diet works I think you’ll have most of your questions answered. The search option here on the site is great and you can just enter a question and usually someone has asked it already and you’ll find many great responses. Welcome back.