So confused after 4 days

(shelley) #21

I don’t eat pork (which seems unfortunate on Keto), what would be the go to instead?
When you say cheese, I imagine you mean not processed?

I bought Greek Yogurt 2%, but I see the protein is high, so I have been staying away from it.

You mean “Konjac,” I believe. These are like the so-called miracle noodles and are fine on keto. Just wanted to make sure.

I would suggest shifting your focus to carbs, not protein. I bet the carbs in that yogurt are too high for keto.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #24

Yes, possibly, but also this:

So not clear whether or not she meant protein or carbs. Hopefully, protein. 31 grams or so is common with most of these protein drinks. But all contain substantial carbs as well, so not worth it.

Good eyes. Agreed on the ambiguity.

(shelley) #26

No there are very few carbs on this.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #27

@shellsown1 You have been seriously misinformed about protein/glucose. Yes, some amino acids can be converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis. But so can fatty acids, but no one tells you not to eat too many fats! Why? Because gluconeogenesis is demand driven not supply driven. In other words, your metabolism synthesizes only as much glucose as needed. It does not suddenly synthesize glucose because you just ate 100 grams of protein or 200 grams of fat.

More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Protein & Gluconeogenesis

(shelley) #28

I mean there are no carbs in the protein shake and very few in the yogurt.

(Scott) #29

Anything that is “low carb” is not going to be no carb. Just watch and count your carbs. If you eat real whole foods your protein will happen naturally. No need to chase after protein. Just have some fatty (not lean) meats and hit two birds with one stone. When I see 2% on any label my first thought is “they are adding sweeteners to that”. I love breakfast and have bacon, sausage, eggs and cheese daily. If breakfast isn’t your thing just skip it and fast til lunch. If that doesn’t suit switch from the shake to bulletproof coffee. KCKO

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #30

@shellsown1 Please show us the stuff you’re eating so we can investigate and give you useful information. Just describing stuff as ‘low’ this or ‘low that’ is not sufficient. We need details of the exact products.

For general info, though: avoid ‘low fat’ anything. And as @Rclause says, ‘low carb’ can cover a lot of carbs, so read the label carefully. But what is your overall goal? Health? Weight/fat loss? We can’t help much without your personal specifics. Otherwise we’re just whistling in the wind.

(shelley) #31

So I did respond with what I’m eating. My goal is weight loss.

(Susan) #32

This is not true, your keeping to 20grams or less of carbs is more important. I am a testament to this. I had to increase both and calories to lose weight but I keep my carbs low.

(shelley) #33

I was going to have the bulletproof coffee, but because I saw it was so high in protein I didn’t bother. Could you tell me how to make the proper bulletproof coffee.

I think what I really need most is a snack in the evening, it is my biggest problem, I want something (preferably salty) that will just get me past that craving.

(Barri) #34

This sounds counter-intuitive, but until you are fat adapted you probably should not calorie restrict at the same time. Let your body get used to having little to no carbohydrates first, get over any carb withdrawal symptoms, and start using fat for fuel. Once your body is used to that, then you can restrict calories if you feel you really need to. Your body doesn’t like having multiple strains on it at the same time (e.g. different fuel source than it is used to, plus less fuel in general).

Once you are fat-adapted you will most likely not feel the need to calorie restrict, as you will not be hungry as often. And if you are eating fat to satiety rather than relying on carbohydrates to satiate, you will naturally eat fewer calories anyway, since fat is satiating.

(shelley) #35

So I am trying to find foods that are high in fat that I can eat (low in carb of course) and not getting it. I don’t eat pork so bacon is out. Most foods that are high fat seem to be oils, butters, things like that, what are the actual foods though, this is what is confusing me.

Bulletproof coffee contains no protein. This suggests to me that you should keep reading here and gaining a proper understanding of the roles of fat, protein, and carbs. Alot of good advice is being given here.

(Barri) #37

The confusion is understandable. Look for fattier cuts of meat like 70/30 ground beef, chuck roast, rib-eye. Salmon has good fats in it. Poultry has very little fat unless you eat the skin, too. Avocados, olives and nuts are good sources of fats. Use full-fat dairy, such as whole milk yogurt and heavy whipping cream. The softer cheeses usually have more fat than the harder ones. Eggs have good fat in them, too.

The oils and butters are great for adding fat to vegetables, so be generous with them wherever you can. Just make sure you avoid the seed oils, and stick to healthier oils like olive, avocado and coconut oils.

Try the one in this group’s FAQ:

It’s my take that you really only need to guesstimate the protein macro, because carbs are already set because of keto and fats are really used as a lever for satiety. If you restrict calories too much, the new way of eating won’t be sustainable, so you’re setting yourself up for failure.

But your body needs proteins. Better too many than too few.

But no problem if you’re short on carbs. They’re not essential. And any shortage on fats can be made up by stored body fat. But if you’re consistently short on proteins, your body starts harvesting muscle tissue for necessary proteins.

(shelley) #39

my apologies, I meant very high fat.

could you give me the recipe.

BTW, two FAQs I suggest reading (not skimming):

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

They both have a lot of useful information. And, in some cases, they may even disagree with each other.