• Smiked salmon slices
  • Tinned fish (I love mackerel)
  • Green olives
  • Slice of cheese and salty tomato slices
  • Turkey cold cuts
  • Celery sticks and cream cheese
  • Small handful of nuts
  • No-sugar jerky

Sometimes I have a huge desire to snack in the evenings, but I can usually put that down to not haven eaten enough throughout the day. You may find it helpful to eat a larger more satiating evening meal in the hopes that it will see you through to the next morning… but no judgements! I think in a few weeks, you’ll find your appetite is less anyway but until then snacking can help you through the adaption phase.

Reading through this thread, I wonder whether you need to push the protein macro completely out of your mind. Focus only on keeping carbs below 20/25g for now, you’re not anywhere close to overeating so I think you can safely stop worry about protein altogether, it really isn’t going to be an issue. Don’t don’t purposely try to overeat fat (sounds like you wouldn’t anyway!) just use it to help you feel satisfied with your meals.

Best wishes to you, KCKO :grinning:

Shelly,

Don’t worry about the macros for now - just focus on keeping your carbs below 20. Everything else will fall into place. You have to get past the idea that eating fat is bad - the truth is that eating healthy fats is a good thing.

Also re: breakfast, you don’t need to eat (or drink) breakfast unless you are hungry. I realize that you have probably been taught it’s “the most important meal of the day” but that is utter BS. Eat when you are hungry not because the clock says it’s time. I would try subbing a freshly made BPC (not the premade) for your protein drink. That will help you feel satiated and get you to lunch. If you need to invest in a cheap handheld immersion blender and you can make it in the mug.

My favorite dinners (and lunch :slight_smile: ) are salmon and/or grass fed ribeye, cooked with olive oil or butter and either a handful of lettuce with some goat cheese crumbles and olives and a healthy oil based/keto friendly salad dressing. No measuring - no worrying about macros.

When in doubt add avocado or eat it straight out of the shell. I no longer snack but when I did I liked to have a handful of raw almonds and some cheese or some pork rinds with guacamole. Or some flax seed crackers (Flackers are great) with cream cheese and sugar free smoked salmon - delicious anytime of the day!

Just get through a few days and the cravings will go away.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #63

I don’t own either one of these, just put everything in a mason jar, put the lid on and shake it really hard for about 20-30 seconds. Works a charm and less mess. Also MCT oil is preferable to regular coconut oil by far, unless you like the taste of coconut oil more than coffee. I use butter and MCT oil.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #64

I could argue with you all day about this but I will just post this instead, and you can see what Dr. Fung says about breakfast and the best times of day to gravitate towards for your eating window. I am usually finished with food for the day at about 2:30pm.

https://idmprogram.com/the-critical-importance-of-meal-timing-for-weight-loss/

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #65

David, I use an older Proctor Silex counter top blender with a standard mouth mason jar. It’s the equivalent of a hoi polloi Nutribullet with a one-liter glass mixing bowl. I think you would find the difference between using this and shaking the bejesus out of your mason jar most satisfying. I use a few more ingredients and even if I had the forearms of Popeye I could not come close. I know that most current Oster blenders will take a standard mouth mason jar. I’m sure many other brands will as well.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #66

@amwassil I have a kitchenaid that I don’t use anymore, I’ll have to see if it fits in the morning. Thanks.

(shelley) #67

this taken from the above noted link: says;

Excess protein (more than your body needs) is converted to glucose, making it harder to get into ketosis.

Which is what I was originally told, and why I am worried because when doing my counts, I keep ending up with too many protein grams.

(shelley) #68

Maybe 56g of protein is not realistic.
I’ll give you an example of my day, please tell me if this makes sense:
For breakfast I had one egg with some mayonnaise, a bullet coffee with whipping cream and one slice of Havarti cheese. For lunch 2 turkey burgers and half an avacado.
So far I am at already 31g of protein, and it seems like no food.

(Susan) #69

Try something like this:

Breakfast: 4 eggs, scrambled/fried/omlette style, cooked in 2 tablespoons of butter
add 1 ounce of grated cheese to it, add some cut up ham or meat to it if you want as well
1 coffee with your fats you want to make it bulletproof style

Lunch: Romaine lettuce with a can of water-packed tuna, and some Avocado Mayonnaise, (Or a mayo that has no sugar or seed oils, the only one I have found is Chosen foods Avocado one).
Chop up a pickle to mix in, and a coffee with HWC or Tea.

Dinner: some protein (beef, chicken, fish, your choice) and some sauteed cauliflower, or broccoli or cabbage, or asparagus, cooked in butter.

This is just an idea, you should not be hungry if you were to eat all that =).

(shelley) #70

This sounds good, but 4 eggs is way too much protein, remember I have only 56g for the day.

I know many people here have said give up on the protein count, but even so, I should be having more fat than protein isn’t that correct, this would not be the case.

(Susan) #71

I was on a stall for over 2 months because I was sticking strictly to the macros. The only macro you really need to worry about this early on is Carbs. If you keep to 20 grams or less of carbs a day, and get enough protein, fats and calories, you will be fine and lose weight… you have to trust the science behind Keto.

For an example I will put what I mentioned into cronometer to pretend it is my daily and put a screenie here to show you, will do that now.

(shelley) #72

So it doesn’t matter that my macros will be majority protein and then fats. Because what I am reading is it should be majority fats and then protein and as I mentioned above, in reading it says eating too much protein will hinder my ketosis.

(Susan) #73

This is what the day’s outcome would be if you ate what I described:

It has my macros but it will give you an idea. This would be perfectly acceptable to eat all that at this point for you, since you are just new to Keto and your body needs to adjust. You will be very full and lose weight if you were to follow this as a guideline.

That is not what the article you posted says. Here’s what it says:

More, from another source:

(shelley) #76

Okay, so forget the Protein, I won’t worry about it for now.
However, everyone here says I should try and stay under 20g carbs, great, here is my next problem.

I’m looking at food that is low in carb and finding this difficult. I looked at some things I might like, for instance cauliflower dishes, each one of them seems to be high in carbs, for example: one serving of low-carb baked cauliflower recipe: Net carbs: 5 % (13 g) Fiber: 5 g, this one serving is almost all the grams I can have for the entire day.

(shelley) #77

I want to apologize, because if I read my posts, I would think I’m sounding like a whiner, and truly this is NOT what I am trying to be.

All I want to do is eat a reasonable amount of food (without starving) and be able to lose weight. But at every turn, I seem to get stumbling blocks and frustrated.

I am not looking to eat snacks (like high sugar stuff) or eat huge meals, but maybe what I think is enough food is more than what an average person eats.

(Susan) #78

The sample I made for you would give you enough food and taste good and fill you up. You just chop up your vegetables and cook them in butter. Don’t look into doing cauliflower dishes or stuff like that at this point. Later on when you are more used to all of this, you can try to figure out one that will work into your macros if you want, but this is not necessary now.

If you download cronometer.com and use that to track (the site I did the sampe on) you will be able to figure it out easily =). We want to help you, and so post away asking for help, we want you to succeed =).

I have been doing Keto since February and am down 46 pound so far, and I just cook them in EVOO or butter more recently most of the time. You are making this all too complicated, and Keto is simple =). Relax =-).

(shelley) #79

Macros must count for something, yours are much higher than mine, so Im guessing that I would not lose as much weight if I went with yours.

What vegetables, everyone of them have carbs, other than lettuce, and that is not going to fill me at all.

(Susan) #80

I just was giving you an example for you to figure it out =). I would have started out like that. Now I only eat at 1pm and 4:45 pm so that I fast daily from 5pm-1pm the next day, 20:4 -20 hour daily fast, and 4 hours where I have 2 meals. I was just giving you an example how to start out. If you were to download the free cronometer and type in your age/gender/current weight/height it will tell you what your macros should be.