So ... about Cheating

(Becky Searls) #41

This thread is so good to return to when we slip up :slight_smile: Lots of useful ways of thinking about our eating. Also I found these quotes from Maria Emmerichā€™s new ā€œThe 30 Day Ketogenic Cleanseā€ helpful:

I find this very true - when I ā€œcheatā€ on keto (which Iā€™ve decided is not going to happen anymore except for very special occasions such asā€¦Iā€™m in Chicago or NYC - maybe Iā€™ll have some pizza, with the understanding I will feel like utter garbage the next dayā€¦lol) I feel physically ill. Itā€™s clear that this way of eating really shifts our bodies into a new way of functioning, and itā€™s just best not to mess with that,. Plus why would we want to when it makes us feel so good?

I was so proud of myself this week - I had a gum graft early December and just recently was cleared to eat things like seeds, nuts, and popcorn again. Historically Iā€™ve been a popcorn FEIND, especially at movies - often ordering a large and getting a refill ( :flushed:). So my husband and I went to a movie and there was randomly a free large popcorn available on our ā€œstubsā€ AMC membership card. I was fasting at the time and had a moment of wondering if I would partake, and then just as quickly a decision that I wouldnā€™t. Not only did I stick to that decision, but it was rather easy! I got a large water and sipped occasionally. I was super alert throughout the movie (not my norm-I am known to fall asleep at the drop of a hat, especially in a dark movie theatreā€¦I actually have a mild case of narcolepsyā€¦which has improved vastly on keto!)

Best part of all? I didnā€™t even really WANT to partake - it smelled bad to me! Iā€™ve heard Carl and Richard talk about that happening with fast food but had yet to experience it - this was it! Movie popcorn smelling bad?! What?!

NSV (non-scale-victory) for SURE :heart_eyes:

(Sue Phillips) #42

Thanks for your post.

Just curious to know what your triggers are?

(Karen Parrott) #43

All grains, all processed sugar except 2 squares of 85% chocolate per day, nuts, xantham gum, & guar gum and emulsiers. Itā€™s different for everyone

(darlee44) #44

I empathize with you. Itā€™s a lifelong journey but sometimes it sucks being me. Keto is giving me a fighting chance though. Thank you for your honesty. It helps and encourages me :grinning:

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #45

Meeee toooooo! (then I did have a handful of The Devils Puffy Kernels when my two weeks was up, and promptly got one stuck in graft area, causing a gross infection).
That was a $250 handful of popcorn. :neutral_face:

(Becky Searls) #46

Omg!!! Yikes! Iā€™m so glad I held off!

(Erin) #47

Yah the term Cheat isnā€™t s good one maybe we should say we Indulged ! :laughing:

(Llewellyn Falco) #48

The cost of cheating:

I cheated this christmas.

For 2 days (24th & 25th) I ate whatever I wanted. I also ate a hamburger and shake later on that trip as well as 1 burrito.

I mention this because Iā€™ve also been tracking my weight everyday. These 2 days cost me a full month. As in I did not get back to the weight I was on the morning of the 24th until a full month later.

I have a couple of options about this.

1. SUCK, thatā€™s a really high cost.

2. If I was already at my ā€˜idealā€™ weight I probably wouldnā€™t mind so much, so it might be a sustainable solution for a lifetime.

3. I constantly think about this every other time during the year when Iā€™m tempted to cheat:

Do I really want to cancel the progress made this month?

(Michelle) #49

Wow, that is a high price, and definitely not worth it. Now, when I think about ā€œcheatingā€ it is strictly keto food. LIke I may have one too many coconut fudge fat bombs, or an extra piece of protein at dinner or something. Oh, and then the wine!! I have that on the weekends, but now I donā€™t over indulge. My weight is stalled though. Was losing a pound a week. Maybe itā€™s the wine on the weekend.

Did you feel ā€œhungoverā€ after eating carbs?

(Llewellyn Falco) #50

didnā€™t feel hungover. (eggnog was amazing as was pasta)
but shot up a bunch of weight. Iā€™ve been living in kgs but about 1 a week. which is a long time to get where I want to go (still have about 25kgs to lose.)

Sucks losing those 4 weeks.

I did find that tracking via myfitnesspal was helpful when I would stall. Itā€™s still easy to over eat for me. although right now "overeatingā€™ is still eating enough to maintain weight so I might be using that word wrong :expressionless:

Also, I think that cheating might have a higher cost right now since my body ā€˜wantsā€™ to be heavier. Iā€™m at the lowest Iā€™ve been for many years.

(Kathy L) #51

How does one know you carry an extra Ghrelin hormone? Hormone testing? Can you ā€œget ridā€ of the extra bastard?

(Karen Parrott) #52

Pay an extra $ 5 for an extensive HTML SNP report with your 23 n Me raw data file.

So I have a gene variant that may or may not produce extra hunger hormone. Now I know why all those intuitive eating schemes, and all that advice to just stop when you feel full fell flat for me. Sometimes I have a few days or weeks or even months with never ever feeling full. Always hungry.

I do seem to get pretty good full and hungry signals on keto. Itā€™s not 100% full proof so I have to track my food in my fitness pal and hop on the scale dailY. Itā€™s not a big deal and I never feel bad about doing it. Cheap and easy way to keep control of my health and my weight and I can really judge whether or not my activity level and my food intake are right for me.

Most sugars, all grains, all emulsifiers especiay Xantham and Guar Gum seem to trigger and unsatiating hunger.

No way to get rid of the gene, but yes I can keep them from expressing themselves most of the time. I canā€™t tell when Iā€™m going to have extra hunger hormones so I just keep track of what I eat.

And yes I can easily binge on keto food and really not stop I can get sick and keep going. Iā€™m binging and binging and binging some more. That part is hideous. But Iā€™ve come to terms with measuring and weighing my food and hopping on that weight scale.

(the-redoubt) #53

My wife and I decided to have one cheat evening a month; the last Friday of the month. Not to go hog wild and shove a chocolate cake and a twelve pack of beer down our necks but rather to go out to eat or otherwise enjoy a meal together without Keto oversight. The first and only time I have done so I never went out of Ketosis according to the keto sticksā€¦ So a few carbs added after a month of little to no carbs seemed to be okay for my body.

Yesterday afternoon and last night howeverā€¦ LOLā€¦ I went into hulk smash mode. I had had a nice normal Keto friendly day, my wife and two of my sons went out of town and my two youngest kids and I planned a fun weekend together soā€¦ I made it about halfway through the Batman Lego movie with my bottle of water when I said screw itā€¦ And scarfed down some popcorn and ten Starburstsā€¦ And thenā€¦ in for a penny in for a poundā€¦ I took the kids to Mexican food and had a regular meal and even a couple beers. I woke up this morning, peed on a stick andā€¦ Negative Ketosis. Well no sh*tā€¦ LOL.

Now that Iā€™ve got that out of my system Iā€™m right back on the horse and forward! I donā€™t feel bad. Iā€™ve been working hard and have had great results so I made a decision. I will own the repercussions of that decision and continue on down the path of Keto-tastic results!

(Steve B) #54

Ya know what?!?! I totally get that! I havenā€™t had exactly that kind of experience yet, but my metabolism is probably a bit more deranged than yours, so Iā€™m more paranoid.

I love that you can have that experience and just get right back on the horse. You go!

(the-redoubt) #55

Thanks brother!

Thatā€™s all we can do in this world is keep on keepin onā€¦

(Michelle) #56

Keep Calm and Keto on!! I fell off the horse this weekend too. Not so much with carbage, but definitely too much of a good thing (and then wine). Was going to start an extended fast today and had epic failā€¦ But did ā€œbeef upā€ my keto diet on Friday and Saturday in preparation for multi day fast that didnā€™t happen.

Oh well, Iā€™m not ready for it and thatā€™s fine. I will keep keto for the next few days and weigh later this week to see if I did any damage by overdoing it.

Have to get over this stall point, but maybe mixing it up will help!! who knows

(the-redoubt) #57

Yeah, the position that I am taking, without any reason or support for having done so (haha) is that a little carb shock now and then helps my body run better on fat!

I donā€™t knowā€¦ Iā€™m just grasping at hope and happy thoughtsā€¦

Cheers

(Tom) #58

My go-to term is ā€œdietary misadventure.ā€

(Becky Searls) #59

Hahaha I love this.

(Crystal ) #60

Iā€™m clearly late to this party but I wanted to share my own thoughts about ā€œcheatingā€
I started keto for weight loss and gastrointestinal relief.
I love the lifestyle and I wonā€™t be giving it up, but I enjoy food. Iā€™m married to a chef. We like to visit fine dining restaurants and we like to eat comfort favourites together.
Iā€™m a grown-@$$ woman - I can eat what I want and I know the consequences. I WILL enjoy a date with my SO, and I will order takeout for movie nights on occasion. I wonā€™t feel guilty, and I wonā€™t make it a habit, and I know I will need to be strict to make up for it but Iā€™ll do it anyways. Cause I want to. And I make my own choices.
And itā€™s delicious and makes me happy!
:innocent: