So ... about Cheating

(Michelle) #61

YES^^^^^^^ :thumbsup:

I am all for doing things that make one happy!!

(Steve Mc Namee) #62

I have fallen and struggling to hop back up. Between stress from work and life to a damaged knee I ate and ate. Keep trying to start but something gets in my way (Where is my willpower). I tried again to start but work have me on a course in Melbourne (another state for me) and finding eating places has been hard. Back home Saturday so will be on horse by then I hope

You can do it! I ā€œstart overā€ a lot. Eggs and bacon, give it a day or two and youā€™re back on track.

It happens.

(Mary Ann) #64

I just want to say that I love that this forum has moved here! Iā€™m one of those people that do not have FB. I donā€™t like it for many reasons. I would have never had the benefit of this great community if you didnā€™t move to this site.

Thanks so much!

(Mary Ann) #65

Such good points. The way we relate to things is shown in our language. Iā€™ve been a fan of Gillian Riley that talks about ā€œeating lessā€. She has a TED talk too (I wasnā€™t sure if I could link here). What I found ā€œrevolutionaryā€ about her approach is for the person to understand that we always have a choice around food. Thereā€™s no ā€œcheatingā€. Thereā€™s no judgment either. We chose the food and we chose the outcomes. It sounds simple but Iā€™ve noticed how much we relate to food as good and bad. And then we beat ourselves up over it.

When we chose our behavior around food we fully accept what weā€™re doing and we accept the possible outcomes. Those outcomes with food could be feeling bloated or sluggish, etc.

Itā€™s interesting because once I started noticing my self-talk around this I was able to shift my perspective. I feel empowered by this way of thinking.

How I felt after my last couple relapses:

It isnā€™t even as tempting as it used to beā€¦

(Andrea Johns) #67

Thinking about owning your food decisions and their consequences seems like a smart way to eat. For me labeling food good and bad prevents me from looking at the whole issue of what Iā€™m eating and what that indulgence does to me. Accepting that each decision has consequences, (positive and negative) opens me toward mindful eating. So often, in the past, I craved a certain type of carb and ate it without a thought. If I weigh the consequences of every food I eat I think Iā€™ll be more likely to choose foods that donā€™t cause more damage.

(Brian) #68

Since it seems to be the thread for confessions, I might as well throw out my own most recent indiscretionā€¦

Went to Cracker Barrel this morning. Had the usual eggs and sausage. But with my wifeā€™s and my meals, there happened to be a half dozen biscuits and some white gravy, which I used to scarf up like a starving animal.

Most of the time, we tell the waitress not to bring biscuits or cornbread but this time neither of us thought of it.

So there we were. And my dear wife decided she wanted a bit with a little jelly on it. So she took one biscuit and cut it in half and offered me the other half, my pick of the top or the bottom.

So I thought I might just have a taste of a former treat. I took the top half, my favorite, and took a spoonful of that white gravy and smeared it on top. It equates to about three whole bites, which I ate.

Only thing was, I didnā€™t enjoy it. The biscuit didnā€™t taste like much of anything. And the gravy was even worse. Apparently my tastes have changed because I used to just love those things.

5 of the 6 biscuits remained on the table when we got up an left. And as much as I despise wasting food, there was just no way either one of us wanted any more of them.

I suspect the next time, weā€™ll eat even less of them, even if theyā€™re laying right there on the table in front of us. Theyā€™re just not good anymore. :frowning:

P.S. just did a little googling and figured out that my little indiscretion with that half of a biscuit was probably less than 20g of carbs so not likely much of a factor in anything significant. But still revealing to me, so perhaps, it may have served a purpose despite not being such a good decision.

(Alison) #69

I went away last week and I worried that I would be tempted as this is always been my pattern before keto. Keto has given me the ability to resist the bad stuff and make the right choices.
My First day away was fineā€¦ but bythe end of the 2nd day I started my internal dialogue that said I-can-have-just -one-icecream-and stop there!! Rightā€¦well that didnā€™t happen.
So for 3 days I fell off the wagon (not nearly as bad as I used to pre Keto though where I used to be like a vacuum cleaner for anything that was full of fat, sugar and carbs)
I managed to get back on the horse pretty soon after that which I was also super pleased about. Strange thing was though that I did not put on as much weight as I thought I had so was really pleased and this motivated me to get back on course. I did ā€œenjoyā€ the bad stuff but without too much guilt.
I made those choices and accepted that it is okay.
I know that since going keto I have made more positive breakthroughs in my thought processing. This is why I know that keto is for me for sureā€¦

(Ann Marya) #70

I never felt that they cheated. I really like this forum

(Buffy) #71

When you are addicted, choice has many different connotations. What is driving the desire? Is it that I am cognizant and actively am making a choice to partake? Or is it the addiction firing from hormones, etc? Nothing ever is all black or white when it comes to food when youā€™re a food addict.
I do like the distinction between lapse and cheat.

(Arlene) #72

Words are powerful. I make wise choices and poor choices. What I choose to eat is always up to me. I believe in owning our decisions. Cheating is something people do to get out of paying taxes or pass a test you donā€™t study for.

(Valerie) #73

I am totally going to check this out! Thank you!