So ... about Cheating

(Alex Dipego) #21

Honestly I have mindless moments of giving up and then hate because I know I messed up and an restarting the cycle. I know how to do it. I know what needs to be done, but the mental stress isn’t there and I’m not sure how to arm myself to combat it. I work in the food industry. I’m surrounded by food I don’t eat every moment of the day. I’m baffled how I could ignore pizza working at a pizza place but somehow here I’m incapable (in my mind) to stick to what makes me feel good.

Cheating? No, self destructive yes. It’s a mental block I need to work to get past just like any addiction. Which is why I’m happy to find this group and listen to the dudes because it helps me recognize my issues and work on them and talk to my loved ones to help me work on them.

Hey @Abrane, try being a little kinder to yourself. Everyone slips up along the way, no one is perfect and it’s all part of the process. Just remember to OLR.

(Sara) #23

I have a lot of contact with people with sugar/food addiction and our societys way of applying “cheating” to eating and food just creates a viscious cycle of shame and self loathing for people that doesn’t need any of that but real, professional help. Biochemical imbalances can really wreak havoc in a persons life and there are so many out there whos lifes have been almost or actually destroyed by sugar and SAD.
From what I have experienced it is not always as simple as free choice when it comes to food and what you eat. But I totally agree that using cheating as a word for it dosn’t help. What does help is support from others and knowledge. That’s why forums like this is an important part of the food revolution! Keto is absolutely the way to go, with a little help from your friends!

Instead of “cheating” I like to look at it as “testing” my metabolism. Keto has kept me off the roller coaster I was on as far as blood sugar readings. Now if I “cheat” I like to see how it affected my blood sugar. Once I see the increase in readings, it makes me think twice, was it worth it for the goal I want? Keto has given me a lot of satisfying replacements. I am so much happier knowing I have alternatives.

(Karen Parrott) #25

@RHadfield I call it lapse or relapse. Onward and here’s to getting back ASAP. :muscle:t3:

(Steve B) #26

This is a discussion I find very interesting. I have a group of friends who came together as part of a Men’s Therapy Group. We all had one issue or another that we brought to the table, including various flavors of addiction. Because of the nature of the group, we tended to be pretty specific in our use of language.

We used the term “cheat” to refer to situations that were pretty pre-meditated, especially when it involved succumbing to one of our addictions. When it wasn’t really planned or premeditated and it was more of an unplanned situation, we most often referred to it as a “slip” or “falling off the wagon”. Both of those terms tend to illicit a visual of something that wasn’t specifically intended.

It could be argued that this is just semantics, and to some extent that would be valid. However, what is semantics, but the study of the true meaning of language constructs?

Because this group of men started off in a formal group therapy situation, we had an explicit conversation about how we’d use language. I’m certainly not suggesting there’s a need for this forum to have such a conversation. I think it’s a bit less formal than that.

I for one, however, will tend to limit the use of the word “cheat” in my own posts to mean explicitly something that was planned or intentional. I will tend more toward “slip” to mean something unintended or unplanned. I think it’s more accurate and appropriately kind. I hope those who read this thread will consider something similar.

Please take this post in the spirit in which it’s intended. Something to consider, perhaps discuss, but certainly not an attempt to regulate anyone’s preferred manner of expressing themselves.

(Robin Hadfield) #27

Thank you. I’m back at it and hoping it won’t take 2 mos to become fat-adapted as it did when I started in Feb.

People learn by different methods.
Some by taking notes and memorization, others by making mistakes and learning was is the correct way to do something.
I’m that trial & error type.

I appreciate your reaching out and sending the email.

Robin.

(Larry Lustig) #28

I agree that cheating (a deliberate act) and slipping up (an off-the cuff act) are different things. And, with keto, there’s a third case, the careless mistake where you eat something without checking to find that it has carbohydrates.

(Connor L) #29

Yeah, the whole idea of “cheating” is one that puts the onus on our conscious mind. When, in reality, these choices are often guided by the hormonal imbalances and subconscious thought that we inevitably get when we change food plans.

When seeking to blame somebody for going off plan (which is how I choose to refer to it), I usually blame my conscious mind, when in reality I should be looking at the logical hormone imbalances and subconscious issues going on.

If your conscious mind was fully in control, then you would never do stuff you “know” you shouldn’t do.

(Michael Iafrato ) #30

Instead of cheat could one take a break. I’ll share my case in point. In July I’m heading to Paris. I already know I’m going to have a bite or 2 of pastries, etc. I am going with full knowledge. I’m having a treat even though I will remain committed to a keto lifestyle.

(Kirstin ) #31

I love this. All of it.

I also don’t really like the word cheat coz when I did it, I actually really enjoyed it and wouldn’t want to call something I enjoy a cheat. Since I started keto a month ago however, I haven’t indulged on anything non keto. I’ve had such great results that actually outweigh those thoughts. And when I do have something I once enjoyed before I became Keto once I’m fully adapted, that to me will be a treat.

(Pye) #33

‘The word Cheating’ is a guilt inducing word inherited from all the previous ‘fad’ diets.

Don’t beat yourself up using it on yourself

‘Lapsing’ is a more gentle way to phrase this ‘temporary postponement’ of what you want really want to eat if you have to give it a name.

My point is when continuing your keto journey afterwards, it doesnt feel like you’re riding a seas’ heavy ‘swell’ {wave} of emotions but a rather more gentle one.

ps. I love the new forum and happy new year 2017 everyone

(Scott Shillady) #34

I prefer calling it a nutritional brain fart :bacon:

(Pye) #35

If you are not in a life threatening diabetes state you decide otherwise I will say ‘don’t do it!’ :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally I would do zero carb the in between foreign food experiences.

(Michael Iafrato ) #36

Since having my weight loss surgery I no longer am a diabetic. For me it is to maintain myself in life. I guess you would say I am in maintenance at this time.

(Erin Macfarland ) #37

I come back to this analogy a lot because I have zero interest in alcohol due to it’s unpleasant side effects. But somehow I forget in the moments when I give in to eating something I know won’t make me feel well that I’ll feel just as if not more awful afterwards as I do from drinking. But i don’t judge myself or beat myself up. I have compassion. I’m not “bad” I just remember the feeling next time I’m feeling compulsive about some food. And I think of things that soothe me without the negative side effects

(Dustin Cade) #38

I think about the food I’ve left behind, like an old friend that was not the best influence… nostalgia and the lingering residuals of food addictions mean it’s best to just let sleeping foes be… I always wanted the most food I could have, I’d get the biggest of whatever… it would be delicious but was always followed by misery and regret… since switching to keto about 4 months ago I’ve not had that experience, but I’m not been hungry either… so I try and remember this when the old food sounds good… so far I’ve been successful

(Jake Smith) #39

Love this… I am starting on this journey and done many diets. i guess that I never looked at a “cheat” as being harmful until now? I would say all the time prior that I am going to have a “cheat” meal and then it would go down hill after that. I would say by reading the post above I likely have an addiction. Understanding I am not teh only one that has gone through this really helps. I know that I can’t have those cheat time unless it is a planned mile stone. Even then I need to be vigilant to go back to eating correctly.

Thanks all for sharing and helping me get and stay on track.

(Pye) #40

That is a key point which you made that should be emphasized to ourselves