“Slaptember!” Challenge

(Patty W) #304

Thank you for explaining that so well. I’ve been enjoying significant weight loss this month, but I’m also noticing that as I’m tracking my macros, there is may also be some inadvertent calorie restriction. Not because I’m trying to stay lower cal, but I’m just not that hungry. Now that my weight loss seems like it is slowing down/stalling for the past 2-3 days (as of course it probably needs to do from time to time to balance out), the idea of “eating more meat” is messing with my head just a little bit. Just old tapes, even the keto tapes about not eating until noon or intermittent fasting, because sometimes now I will wake up & be peckish for some breakfast.

I’ve got 6 more days of the beef, salt, & water. Still feel pretty good…wondering what next steps should be? Should I continue for another 30 days? I’ve been strict about the elimination part of this, so I don’t want to waste the opportunity of being able to test foods out as I add them back in. What would be a good “protocol” to do this? I’ll hold off on the dairy for now, but should I try adding eggs or other meats first? and how long before I add the next trial item? Open to thoughts & recommendations on this. I have to admit I am looking forward to a little more carni variety, but the simplicity of the beef only has been helpful.

(Elizabeth ) #305

The only problem you might have doing another 30 days is food aversion. It can be very subtle and cause restriction but if you’re doing all kinds of different cuts of beef you might be okay. I think it’d be awesome if you feel like that’s something you can do I can’t imagine anything better, but if you do start to add in other meats I would try one for a couple of days and see how you feel first, at this point some people find out that they have an issue with other kinds of meat especially those that are not ruminants or fatty fish.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #306

Today I’ve had prawns, pulled pork, cheese…both cheddar and parmeson and salami… I do use some condiments for a tad of flavor but I am trying.:grinning::upside_down_face:. I find that what’s been better for me with my tummy issues is eat every few hours. It keeps me full and it’s small amounts… But a massive meal hurts my tummy.:heart:. Ok… i was weird and put a tad of vegimite on salami…:scream:. That was weird…but I liked it.:see_no_evil:. I bought new burger pattys that are BBQ flavor. I am still too scared to try liver… But eggs with cheese are my go to. I will admit… if I crave fruit. I bought fruit herbal tea. It’s got no carbs or sugar. It’s been a weird September…certainly a slap for me…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Bring on October… But I’ll be 32.:scream:. Hope everyone is well. Just wanted to update. :grinning:

(Edith) #307

As we near the end of Slaptember, I have decided to continue the challenge. For you long timers, I have a couple of questions:

1. So far, because of oxalate dumping, I have to say I have not noticed improvement in back inflammation. I do understand it may not be diet related, but I do have arthritis there as well. Any guesstimates on how long it may take to really notice if carnivore is helping?

2. I still have trouble wrapping my head around eating so much. Even on keto, I gained weight if I ate too much. Any advice on acceptance? :joy:

holy moly our thread was jumping and chatting. Love it!!

This is your addiction excusing your ‘not so bad choice’. I know, I did it too. All of us do it at some point in our journey. Some battle this way longer than others and some jump in and fix and attack their problem with carb creep and carb dependence fast.

Which one are you? Cause I had exactly that and still do from time to time with the damn tv on HAHA 99.9% no trouble, than that 1% you see the right ad and boom, you want and desire. It is the carb monster just waiting for a low moment to slap ya cause when we trigger like that, it means we are ALREADY craving carbs and we are already thinking of eating them :slight_smile: I mean who are we fooling here, we are only fooling ourselves so…what I did and it is one reason I do rely on processed stuff early in zc transition. I didn’t like cold steak, cold meat leftovers were ick to me, I didn’t want to fry a steak or meat/seafood whatever every time I craved so I HAD TO HAVE GO TO immediate zc food. I went processed. My salami. My beef sticks. My processed meats like Talyor Ham product and link sausage which I could flash fry in a split second and eat fast. Of course now I can flash fry a steak in a minute and eat the whole darn thing :slight_smile: but back when I changed over it was like, I don’t wanna cook, but I require food so I fit in whatever I could to make that work.

I gave myself only 1 thought and said I would stick to this come hell or highwater and I did…and it worked…If I crave I will eat every darn bit of meat in this house at all times. I will eat an entire package of beef sticks if needed. I will take that time to cook for me because I am worth it. I will never ever give into cravings again and if I get one, I am to fill my entire belly with meat like an insane person and IF I CAN do that, if after my belly is so full I can’t take one more bite, I would choose to eat carbs after that. Well obvy I never got to the carbs cause once I ate with abandon, any and all I needed to get thru a wicked insane craving, then I was done. Filled up, happy, while eating my zc food I would ‘chat with me’ about how insane some stupid craving can take down a grown woman and make me fail myself over and over and I was taking back that power as a positive spin now instead of a negative one.

and that is the beauty of ZC! We are allowed to eat ALL WE NEED at all times thru any food situation we are experiencing and darn if it ain’t a hard concept to follow. Freedom with our food choice. I had days I surprised me how much I ate and thought, no way, this can’t be good for me and oh yea baby, it was exactly what I needed. I thrived on my food! All I wanted, any darn time I wanted it but the mind has trouble wrapping around this.

So don’t let anything keep your dependence on carbs. If you are craving you attack your zc meat/seafood/fish and all that as much as you want…any time you require it.

When we eat ‘a bit less’ or ‘kinda not as much or good as we wanted’ in our fist meal then our second meal or hunger times becomes ho hum ya know, like hungry but not hungry, not sure what meat or chicken or taste you want? more fat or less? who knows kinda feeling…this is actually when we should fry up a steak or lamb chop or grab 1/2 a rotisserie chicken, sit down and dig in. You eat til full. Might be little or might be the whole darn thing and ya might eat more after :slight_smile:

so just some pointers that might help. But that little bit of sugar you keep deferring to, is the devil you do not want in your life. This is where the zc eating comes into play and is so important.

You are doing extremely well, this is just off the cuff chat about what I had to drag me thru to get where I am and many zc people have to change their mindset about eating or not eating too much, etc. and in the end, you eat all the zc you need at all times, you win and succeed.
Take what resonates and dump the rest LOL but chatting out this stuff helps me too cause it reminds me of what I had to do and when I look back I think, my goodness I went thru some crazy times but I learned a ton about me and what it takes for me for success.

I think tho you are better situation than me cause you seem very level headed and good in your eating plan with longer time on lc/keto options before me. I fought LC and VLC all the way into zc. I fight carbs like a maniac and was at a different point in my journey to change my mindset and get it to click for me. I clawed to get here LOL but it seems you are doing better than I was but don’t think that carb monster ain’t lurking for all of us at all times, it is so just think about ‘the next time I crave I will…’ and put that darn plan into action. I remember one time I said I will eat decadent. I love love crab legs. I bought a bunch. I waited til a crazy crave time and boom it hit one night and at around 10 at night I was steaming up 2 lbs of crab legs and my hubby thought I was insane!!! I said I wanna eat down the house and I will not do that! I will eat zc at all times, any time I require and get out of my way cause I am digging in and lapping up all this butter to dip my crab. I think I scared him that night HAHA but after that crab I was like…so friggin’ happy. Win and win. I ate it all, full and happy and satisfied and just so darn mellow after that food and then I was patting myself on the back cause not one darn icky plant carb crossed my lips. And yea, it is sad in a small way what one has to handle to fix a craving, but in the end it was the perfect situation for me personally. Eat the best of the best with abandon and thrive against all cravings. So again, just what it took for me :slight_smile:

Ahhh SB darn if you ain’t getting double whammied and working so darn hard and farm work and more.

Low carb diets can also cause night sweats , which can be a product of the keto flu,----- got this off the internet…plus you know our bodies do heat up when alot of protein is ingested sometimes and in the end, YOU ARE changing and adapting still so what ya eat and some heat in your body, yea that can happen.

Pre-mena and all that which what you are dealing with, yea hot flashes LOL

what I did at night was bring a small cooler to the side of my bed. I hit the store and got wrist freezer bands and a good darn head frozen ice pack and when I woke up sweating like a monster, I reached over and iced me right in bed HAHA I tell ya real fast ice to the wrists and head cool one down fast. My worst was restless leg. OMG drove me insane for a while. But as I progressed on zero carb ALL MY symptoms lessened so much ya know, but in the end we gals have our symptoms that we battle, so just attack yours best ya can when ya can!! When I had it all I was like, no way I can live thru this crap, but when I look back I think, darn, I got thru that easier than I thought now and I feel fab once that time moved by and the body healed more and changed. Wild times for sure!!

I loved reading your post!!

remember too the ‘normal experimental time into zero carb’ is 90 days. Yea a whole 3 months. But with so many ‘trying this plan’ to ‘just see’ and impatient with time on plan as, heck we all are LOL, most recommendations are try it 30 days and see.

If your 30 days are showing improvements and more and you are doing wonderful, don’t add in anything yet. Go longer. Boy will you change even more :slight_smile:

But if you feel the 30 was enough for ya and require a change I would add different meats and hit up seafood and fish first. Dairy I would tackle next month. So focus on all meat/seafood/fish you love. Go for that dense protein impact first. Enjoy it, have fun with your food like ribs, salmon, go surf and turf meals, a big old steak with shrimp or anything else you like. Eat up 1/2 a chicken or a monster pile of chicken wings if that is what you desire.

Keep dairy out a bit longer cause when that is added back it can change ya and you truly want a more ‘set pattern’ of who you are and what great changes you are getting to be more set and settled and more healing, then that dairy comes in and you ‘feel and know’ changes very fast if you are one who get nailed thru sensitives from it OR if you are one who truly can handle a little and be happy doing just that.

Simplicity of how us zc people eat is wonderful isn’t it? I love this part of our plan. Eat meat/seafood/fish. Done. Eat all ya want when you want :slight_smile: and heal and feel great while doing just that :wink:, well as we get over adaption times of course!!

I am thrilled you are doing ‘the walk’ into zc like this. Many come in ‘relaxed carnivore’ and while it is a great way to eat…going in all beef and strict gives us SO MUCH more we learn about us and about zc truly so it is the right path to hit this plan. You keep on rockin’ and doing your thing and wishing you the best of the best!! You will get that from the zc plan :sunny:

@Elizedge ! That was an awesome, eyeopening read!!! Thank you so much for posting that, as I don’t think I’d ever read anything of that sort. I really had not been feeling fatigued in the sense of being wiped out at the end of a work day. But, I had been feeling slower than usual- but attributed that to the colder weather setting in. I will eat more meat, and report back later.
I did throw 2 chuck roasts in the slow cooker last night. Think I will thaw some steaks too…just to be ready. =) thank you!

@PattyW … thank you!!! I think I’d seen the Kelly Hogan one before, but, I will go back and watch again. I was looking around for my jar of Progest this morning, as I recall that was helpful in normalizing the cycle. Not sure if that is the route to go, though. So…I’m game for more info!

Well, the egg preservation project is going well. Got 5 buckets with around 3 doz eggs each in the basement. The chickens are starting to slow their egg laying as the weather gets cooler. So, I’ll be really happy we did this (if it works as demonstrated!) I was really hoping my female turkey would pop a few eggs out so I could test out the incubator. I’m going to shoot the two males for Thanksgiving dinner, but I want the eggs fertilized first. The males tore up my flower garden in the backyard when they broke out of their pen, so they are marked. :rage:

Puppy time now. You all have a fabulous day! Carnivore on!

I know I am missing responding to other stuff I wanna chat but now I have stuff to do so chat up later on :slight_smile:

I am thrilled this chat is just so great on our Slaptember thread! And this is what it takes for big changes…big big changes that require time to happen, and we commit to that time to get those results!!!

You guys are a great bunch of chatters :sunny:

for me I ate good yesterday

1 lb NY strip steak
8 link sausage

1 lb NY strip steak
1/2 lb shrimp
1 tin sardines

I tell ya I wasn’t that hungry for that second steak at all and I ate the shrimp first…thinking that might hold me…heck no it didn’t, it showed me I was darn hungry truly HAHA I then fried my steak up fast and hoovered that down and then I still wanted something, I ate my tin of sardines. Done. Happy. Full. Rest of my day went super easy and no hunger and just a good ol’ zc normal day for me.

Crazy ya’ll but when I finish my meal with a tin of sardines, I swear this is a ‘dessert’ type thinking but it is like ‘my final’ want of that meal. Like a tin of sardines seal the deal for me. Who ever thought a tin of sardines for dessert kinda thing HAHA Well a zc person would LOL

off to get some stuff done but I love this thread and our monthy challenges and with great, open chat to learn and change!!! All of us here are lucky people truly. We got a great group who share and goof and learn and change, what more can we ask!!!

yea that and when they molt a bit and all the eggs slow alot and it is like a gazillion eggs then like none for a bit LOL

I love your farming reports so much SB! I did all that and now gone but when you chat about it I get so happy reading it all!!

Hey did you ever find your pet turkey? I hope so cause last report I believe was gone but wondering if that bird showed back up?

And Elizedge is a wealth of info. She is a moderator for I know 1 site, but I think 2 ZC sites that are hardcore ZC. She knows her stuff and she also has a wealth of info at her fingertips for reports, science, general info, success stories on how we change and really is a huge wealth of info from her and when she shares stuff it is exciting cause this is hardcore zc info coming at ya :slight_smile: :slight_smile: She is so nice to share so much to keep the zc plans alive and well out there and on track. Good friend to me also!!

(traci simpson) #313

Dr. Fit and Fabulous is her name.

we just posted a Kelly Hogan video interviewing Dr Fit and Fab over in our zc info video thread. Hormone Hacks

(traci simpson) #315

I started off doing it for 30 days. 7 months later, I can’t think of any other way to eat.

(Elizabeth ) #316

Keep your eyes open for Kelly’s new video that’s going to drop soon, she interviewed me and Dana and Cindy and Lisa, not sure why this baby carnivore was grouped in with those gals but we talked about hormones and carnivores :slight_smile:

@Fangs didn’t we start these carnivore challenges in these forums in November 2019 with Cheryl’s 90 day challenge? Is there a carniversary due at the end of Oxtober? @CherylP

Today was 2MAD.

2 eggs and bacon cooked in lard at about 12 noon. Eye fillet steak and 2 more eggs at 5pm. I did have one cup of black coffee with MCT oil this morning. Ah well. I’m still learning.

The nectarine tree we transplanted from our sister-in-law’s house 300km away has started to send out some green shoots. The nectaplum and Rangpour lime tree are in full blossom. As are the A and B avocado trees and I notice that small black ants love those flowers. The blueberry bushes are full of green berries. The black mulberry tree that I planted from a cutting is already full of fruit. There’s a lot happening in the food forest. People around me eat these home-grown foods. I feed them to the chooks who give me eggs and the 6 hens are in to full production now it is spring.

I’m drinking the end of winter rain water here, it’s not quite Kool Aid, but it does taste sweet.
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/search?q=water%20tastes%20sweet

(Laurie) #318

Aren’t avocados harmful to chickens?

They can be. I compost the skins and feed the fruit to family. Chickens don’t get much avo exposure, nor does the dog.

Fun visit to the butcher today.

A special on chicken wings, so I’ll bake up a kilo (2.2lbs) and have them available cold.

The tomahawk steaks and scotch fillet were the same price per kg/lb so I bought the fillet without the bone, even though my preference is for meat on the bone.

The butcher had fresh shrimp. These little guys had blue tail tips, beautiful colours. They are not farmed and have been fished in tropical waters. So it will be surf and turf for dinner tonight!

I asked for bacon and the butcher only had it in a slab. No bacon strips. This will be fun cutting my own bacon. I had forgotten that getting a ‘side of bacon’ meant it was a slab that had to be cut. It’s after 12 noon, so I’m going to fry up some freshly cut bacon and fresh eggs. :slight_smile:

Fasting blood glucose: 4.6mmol/l = 82mg/dl. Blood ketones: 0.1mmol/l.

FB, that is a fun trip to the butcher! Lucky you…a SLAB of bacon! Ohhh, you can go wild on that one!!

Slaptember is flying by for sure now, we are on that tail end.

FB posted next month we hit a year. WOW, when Cheryl started the challenge who knew we all would rock it out so well and be happy with our zc and thrive just like our challenge thread is doing!!

almost a lb. NY Strip steak
8 link sausage
4 very big country style pork ribs
(ohh they were good, so much good fat on them)
6 slices salami

I feel very centered again. Sometimes when I get jealous of the family a tad, and I still do every now and then, I waver in my being SO strong ya know, and I get a bit wonky but I get thru it all now ok. I feel like I am done wavering right now which is a good thing. I got that ‘screw you carbs’ feeling and I am holding very tight to my plan. My plan is my rock for sure.

So Slaptember is waning down and all of us will go into OxtoberFest with great resolve, great healing, great changes to us and tackle another month working towards the best health we can have! ZC will give us just that!

Hitting grocery in a bit for a few things but they do have more NY Strip steaks on a good sale so I am grabbing some for sure. Freezer and meat, heaven to me LOL

Me too… I get reminded to the times when my Granma had hens… They aren’t smart but very funny, fluffy and they lay eggs! What not to like? :smiley: Okay, I had nothing of the work except cleaning them when we cooked some… Dissecting animals is interesting, I saw things people who just buy chicken in the supermarket don’t.

Hi folks, I still can’t stay away for long…
Alvaro is the cook again, it’s pretty good now, he makes tomato soup for himself and fries chicken liver in the oven (using coconut oil as it’s a food for us two, he hates lard except for lean pork and we run out of that long ago anyway and couldn’t buy it since… I have tallow but he extremely hates it, I rather not use that even for myself or very carefully as the smell bothers him and it’s not my fav either, the tallow itself, I mean, not just the smell. the little birds will like it in winter. but I don’t find coconut oil a problem enough to make our food separately. I just don’t use it for my own food)… Poor chickens but I love liver and still can’t get proper meat…

My hunger is worse than ever, I mean, the complete lack of it… It’s usually negative, even. I wonder when I will able even taking a bite, my appetite is VERY negative too and it has total control. I don’t need appetite to eat but if it’s negative, I won’t eat, no matter what (it’s very annoying when I have negative appetite with strong hunger but I so can’t stand hunger that it raises my appetite to zero soon so I can eat).

Oh, we will see. I refuse to worry about undereating (last time I was worried and thought about it a lot and that’s horrible and unnecessary. and it didn’t raise my calories at all), I never ever did that for more than a few days, my body realizes what happens and give me proper signs again.
But if it wouldn’t, well, I track and notice things (but eating very little is probably apparent without tracking too. I am super bad at it though) so I will just change my food choices sometimes. It should help. So many things to experiment on! :smiley: I never had my occasional high-calorie days on carni but I need it for longer carni times. I will need planning. And probably 2 meals. My very extensive overeating experiences should help, I still have some trick even though I lost my number 1 item to eat a ton (even after satiation), carbs. I have more.
But it actually should be natural… Oh well. I just need a high-calorie day now and then. My normal days surely will be okay eventually when my body gets over its confusion. My carni food is very satiating especially meat. It probably never will change but getting very satiated with a few bites is something I never want again. That’s one reason why I do OMAD now: it’s best to wait until proper hunger so I probably can eat a big enough meal. It’s a double-edged sword as longer fasts often cause smaller meals but my body will learn and it always was very serious about its calories and tricking it is hard. It just gets confused for some days sometimes when I change something. I have fat reserves so that’s fine. And fasting often feels so damn good… And then desire and need for food emerges again. I am not too extreme.

I don’t know what is head hunger… Probably some mental thing?
I have stomach hunger and “real” hunger, need for fuel (maybe the last two are close), appetite and compulsion (and I miss eating when I don’t eat for a longer time than usual even if I am too satiated to eat. it’s a mental thing just like compulsion but it’s not that as I don’t feel a desire to eat, often the opposite, I just miss eating if it makes sense). I almost always ate immediately as any urge emerged in the past, now I try to wait for a real need. Taking a bite without it could trigger a big meal with carbs but it doesn’t work now. I only can eat a proper meal if I really feel the need and ability.

Oh, sorry. Lighter topic then. Coffee. I - not surprisingly - went back to my thinking that coffee is my mostly harmless liquid and it doesn’t make any sense not to have it when I feel it helps. I need it most when I am too satiated, of course I won’t eat then! But that’s off carni so doesn’t matter here.
On carni days, I don’t drink coffee now. If possible. We will see. I have a few reasons to drink coffee as medicine but hopefully they won’t happen often on my carni days. The biggest reason (carb poisoning) surely won’t :smiley: And it’s too ineffective for headaches so I will just suffer, I guess as if I won’t drink coffee, I surely won’t take a pill, I avoid them anyway as much as I can and they are expensive… No, I won’t suffer, I am a hedonist with a very low pain tolerance. I won’t get headaches then or solve them differently.
I drink tea but I need something warm :stuck_out_tongue: And for some reason, I drink extremely much water. At some point I worried that not drinking coffee will plummet my calories as I always will be full with water and with my reduced urges to eat, it matters. Without coffee, I drink lots of water all the time, even in the first half of the day. My thirst is annoying sometimes, it always was extremely strong but at least I have zero problems against plain water. I had times when I found getting most of my water intake using plain water a bit boring. A thirsty person totally appreciates good water and I have good one. I drank better tap water in my life but it’s superior to most tap waters in the country, I am sure. I have some experience. My childhood place had very bad water, I couldn’t drink it without an unusually strong thirst. Maybe that’s why I want to drink is differently so often. Well, not anymore. Water is good. I still like some variety now and then but it’s not nearly as important as before. Winter probably will raise my desire to have something warm… And I still can’t make soups without vegetables, I almost never even have proper bony animal parts! :frowning: Well, spiced egg milk is an option… I need my soups, I miss them when 5 days pass without eating any. But it’s hard when I don’t have meat for them and don’t want vegetables… I just need flavor and water. And poached eggs, usually.

OxtoberFest :smiley: Sounds good. I need to rethink my chances. I thought it’s impossible with all the grapes and apples but my body serious hates the idea of grapes and apples now.
But I still can’t get meat from the farm :frowning: And it’s my only proper source.

Nothing interesting in this comment, I just whine a bit about my too big satiation.

This is new. I regret I ate. I am so sleepy and too satiated and I won’t be able to do anything useful for hours.
I ate chicken liver, mostly. Little cheese, some eggs, some pork…
My body wants fasting now :frowning: Argh!!! I never had this. I would understand it after overeating carby days but I had low-cal days with low and very low carb. And sleeping problems, maybe they affect me too much this one time.

Oh well. I guess we have odd days. But I am too full. I couldn’t even drink coffee as I simply was too full for that (I am not in the mood for black coffee). I still drink water but it’s problematic too.
I won’t eat this early again (2pm, not very early in the weekend…) if I am just borderline, not really hungry… I just want to get less satiated… And I felt no problem while eating. I ate not much and slowly as always…

I hope my body will get out of this current confusion, whatever it is. I love eating, hopefully I won’t be scared of eating for a while now but it’s really uncomfortable. I rarely regret having a meal but I do it now. I wanted to do things. Maybe I take a nap, my energy went low, it’s normal after big meals and my body considers this too big. Why didn’t it say it during eating? I was hungry before the last bites.

No such things happen after the first days on carni for a healthy person, I hope. I know my first days aren’t always perfect. But it was always due to carbs previously. And now it feels too much food. When things are gleefully progressing into my 3rd low-cal day in row.

But I can’t say my woe is boring…