“Slaptember!” Challenge

Slaptember is here!

FB said — Time to wake up to better nutrition health.

Lets slap down the plant matter and take it out of our lives and eat from the animal kingdom only and thrive!!

Our usual challenge for zero carb and what do you want to focus on and what changes do we want to make or what goals are we trying to achieve? What is everyone’s personal challenge to themselves?

-------For me I am dumping man made processed foods this month.
No bacon, sausage, not eating out, I am going all in cooking for myself, fresh slabs of meat/seafood and I wanna just go all in with this type of focus. We shall see how it goes down :wink:

yesterday I was ravenous. I ate a 1 lb. ribeye and instantly knew I needed more food. I was eyeing all kinds of crap in my kid’s stash and craving even after eating that delish steak. So real fast I fried up 2 burgers. And get this…I was still hungry. And I thought, no way…but my mind was on raiding the kitchen. Nope, that isn’t acceptable so I fried up 2 more burgers. Total 1 lb. eaten! So I had 2 lbs of meat in one sitting and I tucked into those extra burgers and right at the end, the last 2/3 bites of that final burger I hit overload. My belly was full. I dropped all wants to graze thru the kitchen and I was full and happy!!

But of course eating all this in one shot, I was fine til about 9 at night LOL I had to eat so I fried up 2 small beef tenderloin steaks and woofed it down and was happy again!! Little late for me to eat but I thought if I don’t eat I am only gonna be pissed and unhappy and stalk the kitchen again or worse, actually binge off plan. I will not go there.

One thing is always acceptable on carnivore. You eat all you need, when ya need it and do not give it a second thought. So I didn’t give it a thought, ate my tenderloin and woke up feeling not hungry, feel fab, ready to SLAP the heck out of September LOL

Holding my low on the scale and hoping for at least 2/3 lbs. gone this month, but again, it is what it is and the body will give it up when it wants. I am not chasing numbers on the scale ever!

Slap yourself awake this morning, lets tackle Sept in full carnivore style!!
Can’t wait to read other’s goals and focus this month…we got each other’s back!

(Liz) #2

Happy to be here and thanks to Fangs for setting it up. My aim for this month is to stay clear of dairy…except butter! Coffee is still in but I am learning to love it weaker so am allowing it!
Not ready to give up bacon yet (so kudos Fangs) my September will be simply meats and fats. In preparation the fridge and freezer are groaning with steak, pork belly, chicken thighs and wings, bacon, duck legs, liver and lamb mince…plus salted cornish butter.
Today has been eggs and bacon for lunch and pork belly and crackling later.
Great job on staying true and eating meat until sated Fangs, that is my biggest goal this month, stop counting calories (even though I don’t believe in cico and have lost weight eating way over my tdee at Keto…I need to drop this habit). I also want to go the full month without cream and cheese, it will be tough I am a cheese addict! My other goal is to see if this simpler woe continues to help with prolonging sleep and reducing inflammation and pain from my arthritis and if I can drop a few pounds that will be a bonus!
Happy September all and best wishes from a lovely English ‘almost’ summer’s day :handshake::grinning:

I’m slapping this like a Schuhplattler.

While my body says that I can I’m trying this:

Black coffee in the morning.
OMAD.
300 - 400g Scotch fillet steak, topped with;
a mackeral omelette = 3 eggs + 120g mackeral fillets.

I need the seafood magnesium.

Started on 31 August.

Have done it for 01 September.

Might have to do some maths.

~140g protein, 3.7g carbs (from the coffee), 110g fat

Magnesium is a bit low, so I’ll add 300mg magnesium citrate tablets.

I added salt to the meal, so sodium should be OK.

I feel fully satiated.

Good luck with your plan, Fangs… But no one can take MY dry, quite red sausage away from me (I don’t eat the other kinds)… I doubt any amount of fresh meat would change this (it would help a lot though), I have my sausage phase since several weeks. I eat little of it but that is important. It is simply awesome. I almost run out of it, need to go shopping! :smiley:

(Elizabeth ) #5

gonna keep eating 2-3 pounds of meat a day, commit to starting gentle exercise- like here https://youtu.be/X8Pa94s_5Y0

(Kellyn ) #6

It’s my birthday month so I am planning on a zero carb cake for my birthday. The one that Kelly Hogan has a recipe for. Other than that I plan to just eat meat and drink water, coffee, and the occasional vodka and diet coke.
Next week I have my annual assessment for my work and will get lab work done. I am hoping my cholesterol is in good ranges. I looking at the Dave Feldman protocol and I am planning on fasting 13 hours before my blood is drawn. My BMI is down in the severe obesity category and I am excited to be out of the morbidly obese category. My weight continues to go down each week so there is not much I am going to change this month. I have been walking for exercise, but I am thinking about adding some pushups and squats to build up some muscle.
I have always loved the fall and will miss the fall flavors, but I was thinking of buying scented candles to help with that. Like a pumpkin spice candle and maybe a caramel apple one.

(Edith) #7

I am committing to eggs, meat, seafood.

I will not eat sauces or processed meat except for bacon.

I am still going to take my Citrical and magnesium glycinate, but if I extend my trial to next month, I may try weaning myself off the supplements.

I am going to see if being more fully carnivore will help with inflammation I have in my lower back.

Fall is wonderful and you still can enjoy the visuals! I so love the autumn leaves, I plan lots of hiking/walking (the two aren’t almost exactly the same in my world. I can’t avoid elevation as I live on a hill and I am surrounded with forests)! FINALLY summer is over and I can go out and walk as much as I want! I did my best to go out of the house even in summer but it was hot so I couldn’t do it much… And it was always tiring. But I am free now! :smiley:

Spice smell sounds a good idea, that’s nice… I won’t even stop using spices in cooking in the near future. I have enough for years anyway, I always liked having spices and not using them often… I prefer tasty ingredients and they don’t need much spice…

It’s nice multiple people here exercise to get muscles. I really resumed my weightlifting (I made attempts since some time but too many days passed between 2 sessions), I have enough weights for a long time. I want bigger arms, first of all :wink: I had a nice exercise after more carbs and calories last time and I am curious what happens if I drop them both (or just the carbs if I can manage to do it. my appetite got a bit bigger again and I can have an extra meal at midnight, I just would like to avoid that).

I think autumn fruits won’t be particularly tempting for me in the near future so I want some carni days again ~. It’s not like eating more carbs make me happier often enough lately, so it sounds pointless. I can get away with it, I feel okay but it’s not worth it. I tried and it was meh so I rather continue my extreme low-carb experiments. I would love more energy, maybe I get it at some point.

(Elizabeth ) #9

I’d really like to suggest that you stop the diet sodas maybe you can just try it for 30 days? there’s something about that sweet taste that can keep cravings going in the brain, some of us even eliminate sweetened toothpaste for that very reason. They’re also such a sh!tstorm of chemicals You might actually see a difference if you cut them out for a little while.

(Robin) #10

I’m new enough and still trying to find my natural balance, so I think I’ll skip this Slaptober challenge. But as always, I learned something… like I hadn’t thought about processed meat versus fresh. (And I just got back from the store, darn it!) But, next trip, all fresh meat from the butcher dept.

And yes you should eat all the bacon you want. I did early on. I would hoover down a lb. of bacon in a few minutes and not blink while doing just that HAHA but I am kinda bacon’d out right now so dropping it a bit for me is easy right now, but you enjoy the heck out of it!!

You have great goals for this challenge. I know you will do well and that is an impressive amt of good food in your fridge!!

And yes you forget about kcals right now. Your job is stay ZC at all costs, just do that and eat as you need, that focus will be a great one for you, adopt zc with abandon :slight_smile: great post!!

:crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::rofl: too funny!!

really great post FB cause you are doing you full on zc and seeing where you stand! Love it!

LOL LOL and no one is gonna try to grab your sausage out of your hands HAHA You eat it up if ya love it!!

Wonderful goal E. Add in that gentle exercise and commit to it cause with that slow easy repetition we sure can tone and change our body a bit and increase strength. I so hear you on that, I will be making that a focus next month for me and yes, sorry I am stealing it :sunny: Right now my pool is my focus LOL but once I get ready to shut that down my hiking will kick in and some exercise like you could be my ticket. Thanks for posting that, you gave me some extra inspiration :slight_smile: Nice link!!

very cool, you got a happy happy zc birthday coming to you!! So many great food options! My cake would be a gigantic pile to the ceiling of king crab legs :wink:

Your journey down that scale and getting leaner meaner is wonderful KP! If it all is working well and you feel great and getting results, yes don’t change much, you found a good sweet spot, you hang onto it.

Fall flavors, you know in years I haven’t put ‘food to a season’ anymore but it was so interesting when you said that…I thought, yea I get that but can’t remember it too much anymore :slight_smile: You will do fine!!

You have a really good ZC focus. Simple and to the point and see how it all goes down for you. Yea the lower back huh? I know it and hubby is a train wreck with lower back but ya know, he gets his hips adjusted at the chiro and it helps his lower back alot. Hips out of align and when fixed up he notices a big diff…just a thought for ya maybe??

You had me cracking up for Slap—tober…that is October we are doing Slap–tember HAHA I love it!!!
Yes you do what you are comfortable with…we all have our own timeline in this journey and changing big lifestyle eating/habits takes time for most of us, so do you as you need and find your balance and your likes and food choices you do best on…smart to just get to learn you!!! Yes, fresh beats anything made by mankind from a factory. Something I sure have to remember time to time :wink:

We need SB to check in but I am sure she is super busy busy with farm and work…our resident energizer bunny for sure!!!

I gotta say guys this is an impressive list of goals and everyone has a laser focus on what they need and require to make this work for them and I am loving it truly. It gives that super tight sense that someone else is there, somewhere out there but checking in thru the internet and doing what you are doing ya know…I appreciate all the support truly.
We got it made in the shade with our zc ways!!

I’m excited. Just got my local grocery store flyer…boneless ribeye steaks, 1/2 price. $16/lb on sale for $8

and where will I be when they open at 7AM…oh yea you guys, you know where I will be!!

They got little 3 oz lobster tails on sale for 4.99 each and that is not good but man I want some now. Maybe 3 tails for me and never let the family know I got them? Hmm, me feeling sneaky, oh yes I am!
You know I have no guilt hoarding meat/seafood for me ever. It is ALL I eat so hey they can go have rice or fries! Yea in the food dept I put me first now :wink:

(Edith) #13

Okay, today was more challenging than I was expecting. I eat very few carbs, but I realized how much I take tastes here and there as I prepare meals. It was hard to not reach out and take a taste of strawberry or eat a baby carrot.

I made it through the day with eggs, chicken wings, and roast beef. I meant to have my piece of liver, but I forgot. I’ll have that tomorrow.

(Edith) #14

Just finished with PT a month ago for a bulging disc I received from a car accident last November. The PT was great and even got me back to jogging a few days a week, but there is definitely still irritation. Standing for long periods of time still causes pain and I’m always irritated first thing in the morning.

(Elizabeth ) #15

I find if I eat my first meal and it’s very fatty and I eat till I’m not one more bite full I can pass by any temptation for hours and hours

(Tracy) #16

Kelly, what is your cholesterol like right now? I’ve thrived on Keto and every health marker is perfect, except my cholesterol is redonkulous according to the guidelines. My NMR says I have large fluffy LDL and all that good stuff that keto doctors love. But I’m still brainwashed about cholesterol and the fear of it. Let us know what labs say.

hey I told you before remember I had to break that nasty habit. I was the ‘spoon licker’ when preparing food for the family and I know it was ‘never an obsession’ about a darn carb in a lick off a spoon…for me it was the habit.

it is darn hard isn’t it? I swear we just work with food and then it is SO easy to just nibble a bit of strawberry or easily pop a baby carrot into your mouth. Hey now it is your turn to work on that LOL

The answer is simple. Asking oneself the question(s) is hard. Overcoming bad habits ain’t easy.

Thanks for bring physical activity into the mix. Mark Sisson and Dr. Sean O’Mara (on a Peak Human podcast) talk about doing minimal time but higher intensity effort activity, maybe only for 5 minutes accumulated every 5 days. They talk about sprinting. I like that Kelly puts it practically in terms of being active in the driveway.

Good morning, Peeps!
OKay…getting the self together this month. Still having a very lengthy, unprecendented battle with Aunt Flo, and the funky hormones associated with perimenopause. 23 days this has been going on, and I am VERY low in iron. So, the Iron Complex supplement is an absolute must - no ifs ands or buts. Mag Gluconate as well.

So, after working a 730-4pm shift yesterday (stayed tucked away in the back corner of the pharmacy for half the shift), came home, fixed chicken for dinner, then hubby and I took off to go pick up the fresh beef from our butcher. Goodness gracious! That’s some of the best meat I’ve seen. I think our former butchering operation might need to retrain some of their cutters, because the steaks and roasts from the current butcher are picture perfect- like I’ve never seen from the old operation. So, oh happy day! Ive got a couple roasts thawing for dinner Friday. There is ground beef in the fridge for today. We should be set for quite some time.

Eggs are plentiful still, and I’m water glassing as many as qualify for that preservation prorgam. We are eating the rest in the form of hardboiled, fried, scrambled, of my once in awhile- liquid chicken latte.

My biggest challenge is sitting myself down to eat enough meat to satiate the appetite. So, that is what I need to commit to here and now. This morning will have to be eggs. Later in the day, a couple burger patties. I’m finding OMAD very difficult right now with the amount of loss going on daily with the “episode”. But, that is my other goal at some point here…to get back to OMAD.

RIght now, I need to get ready for another 730-4 shift, unload a truck, stock, etc. Burgers tonight- and hopefully, will feel better soon. Have a lovely slappy-tempber day!