Sizzlin' September

(Gigi) #101

I thought the Zorn fast started every third Thursday of the month, which would be this week, the 21st…

(Liz ) #102

When I heard Megan Ramos on the 2KD podcast suggest switching it up re: fasting I was a bit dismayed because my strong suit is consistency, lol. But as I’ve been IFing every day I’ve been listening to my true hunger signals & eating when it feels right & that happens to be at different times every day! Who knew? So I’m delighted to be able to fairly effortlessly switch up my schedule & caloric intake daily. I’m doing all this to hopefully stave off homeostasis & weight loss stalls. Hope everyone is having a good week!

(Brian) #103

Wow, that’s awesome, Liz!

My wife and I met online, too. Kinda the same thing. Started with email, then phone, and we were hooked! First email in October, 2000, First phone call shortly thereafter. First visit in February, 2001. Married in March, 2001. Nobody thought it would last. It was 16 years in March and we’re goin’ strong. :slight_smile: Second time for both of us, but we somehow got it right this time. Couldn’t imagine being with anyone else.

(Liz ) #104

Oh cool!! That’s super! When you are ready & the right person comes along, that is just it, you know. Thanks, and congratulations on finding such a good match. I wish everyone could experience it.

Officially on a “real” egg fast…hahaha, I think!
I didn’t eat my first meal until after 11AM…is that OK on an egg fast. One member here mentioned that he eats when hungry, which seems correct to me…but does anyone have a conflicting view/data regarding the meal times?
I did eat about three hours later and then thre hours after that to finish the day out.

(Jim Russell) #106

51 hours into my fast.Other than my stomach rumbling yesterday and some periods of hunger today I’m doing great.

(Jim Russell) #107

72 hours in. Still doing ok. Almost gave in and ate a few hours ago, but just had some ketoaide and I’m back on track. I’m down about 9 pounds. Considering just going past my planned stop in about 18 hours and see if I can go 7 days. We’ll see. I miss eating, though. :smile:

Hi everyone. This is my first post to this forum.

I quit drinking about 13 months ago. After I slayed that dragon I set out to conquer some other health / lifestyle issues as well. I have been relatively lo carb before but decided to go full keto last fall. After the first of the year (2017), I began trying some IF routines. In March-April I did three 36 hour fasts per week. It was effective, but maybe a little extreme. In the early summer I settled in to the Warrior diet on weekday / workdays, which is essentially a 20/4. I have found that my one meal is not any larger than the evening meal would normally be. My wife is doing a “fat fast” 2 days per week as well and has had some success with that.

I am male, 5’ 11" in my late 40s. So since August of 2016 I am down from 206 lbs. to 168 lbs. I’ve lost significant belly fat and I am having to get all my suits altered.

(Liz ) #109

Right on! Glad this way of life is working for you both!

(Jim Russell) #110

That is awesome. Way to go!

I think it’s safe to say that I am not a person who can get away with OMAD (one meal a day) and consider that fasting. I just had two days of trying to start two-day fasts, where at the end of both days I couldn’t stand it and ate a meal. Morning bg after both days, 300 and 311. So now I have signed up for the Zorn fast, at least for two days. Why is it so hard this month?! (I think it’s fall in Wisconsin, lots of food-related traditions this time of year, comfort food longings, as well as school going full-force with all 4 doing online school this year, crazy around here)

This cracks me up! I don’t have to feel hungry to miss eating, it’s one of my favorite contact sports!!!

You’re doing FANTASTIC with this length of fast and 9 lbs down…I am envious. I’m on day three, the last of my first “real” egg fast and haven’t seen the scale move one tiny bit. Just hangin’ out, laughing at me for checking again :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s so goo d to hear your good news, because even if I can’t seem to break my stall, I am so excited when I see things working for others on the road of IF/EF/Keto life.

Congratulations on a great run!

Congratulations on a fight well fought 13 months ago, and then on this next remarkable achievement!
You are an inspiration and your story will go far to help others who have so many fronts to face in the fight as well.
Thanks for posting, this is a great share!

Darcy, I hear your pain.

I have had too many things going on w/ vacations or weekends w/ family and another coming up, that have kept me from any full fasts. It seems harder this month, I agree. It makes me dread the real holiday season that is fast approaching!
No Zorn fast for me due to this weekend with my beautiful granddaughter (no deprivation will be tolerated! :wink:
Fasting on work days has not been going so well this past month either, the stress level has increased for various reasons and I just “cave-in” and eat by 5PM on the days I had hoped to start a fast.
Your health, BG and all seem like such a complex mix because of the cancer and other issues you’ve faced. I’m praying right now, that this quest you are on will bring you to a great understanding, good WOE and the better health, that you are so diligently seeking!
You have been so faithful, so don’t feel bad about the days you don’t fast. It will all work out.

Thanks for the understanding. And you definitely should enjoy that granddaughter time! Hope that work stress relents soon, or you find a good way to release it so it doesn’t interfere with your health.

I appreciate you and others here for putting up with my “quest” - a very good word for it. And I appreciate the prayers very much (sending some your way too!). I am praying that my question for the new 2Ketodudes Dr. Fung podcast will be addressed, though it’s really long. I don’t know if they will have time for it. I am looking forward to hearing Dr. Fung and Megan speaking again, mostly to get re-motivated and restored in belief that fasting can work for me. But if by chance it is not going to work for my bg problems, I’d like to know that too. It’s harder to stick to something when you’re not sure it’s doing all that much good. I do need to remember the benefits from fasting besides weight loss or lower bg, though. Mental clarity/energy during the longer fasts, more time to get things done, and apparent reversal of kidney and liver problems. (And it does at least temporarily take my bg down to better levels.) Honestly everything I was tested for by the doctor is doing very well except for the insulin-related things (mainly high bg and weight). I think fasting has helped reverse previous damage. Maybe it is just taking longer for the pancreas? KCKO. KCFO.

I agree with you here, this is still of benefit to your health, but the BG is a real concern! I pray they’ll address your question, and why not?!

I think we are all so different and the level of damage, the rate of healing, age, sex, etc all are so intertwined. It’s almost impossible to pin down any one thing I suppose. There are too many factors, the combinations, mathematically, have to be tremendous!

This IF/EF and KETO lifestyle is something I think I need to really stick with for a time, a long time and try to see just how much change can happen, even if it is at a snail’s pace, so to speak…

Lasting change usually happens slowly.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #118

Congratulations on your year. You won’t regret going keto this early in sobriety (assuming it doesn’t stress you out and make you relapse, of course), because a lot of the advice about staying sober when you’re new is not really great for people who are insulin-resistant. Of course, it’s better to be fat and sober than thin and drunk, but thin and sober is a great combination. And the metabolic health from eating keto is an even bigger blessing.

This is the perfect attitude, thank you for reminding me :smiley:

I have a tentative plan (all my plans are tentative when it comes to keto and fasting, depending on how I feel, what I learn, how crazy life gets etc.). I am going to do my best to finish out this Zornfast, then next week (starting Monday since Sunday I will be breaking the fast in the afternoon and I don’t want to limit anything) I will eat breakfast and lunch and skip supper. I usually have just skipped breakfast and soemtimes lunch. It seems very possible that delayed stomach emptying could play a factor in my high morning bg, so this will be an experiment - skip supper, finish eating much earlier in the day. It will be hard because I like eating dinner in the evening, but it is worth a try.