Simplest possible fat snack

snack
breakfast

Hi, I’m just starting out on this journey.

I don’t mind eating simple and repetitive stuff for e.g. breakfast and lunch and focus my cooking energy on making a nice dinner. Because of this I have been researching what really simple fatty “snacks” are possible to get from e.g. a normally stocked grocery store.

I started off with a small packet of cottage cheese for breakfast but I quickly realised that starting your day with ~8g of carbs makes the rest of the day a lot harder in terms of macro planning. So is there some simple, store-bought item that I could replace with cottage cheese? Or something else I can buy/make in bulk that’s easy to bring to e.g. work?

Oops! I didn’t know we couldn’t talk about fat!
(Keto Travels) #2

If you like them, hardboiled eggs? Boil a pot full on Sunday, take 2 for breakfast every day. Pre-peel in the evening if it needs to be even faster in the morning. Make yourself a little spice/salt mix that you like to go with it, or more than one for a little variety …

(Keto Travels) #3

Also of course leftovers from the nice dinners you made, especially if you are happy with repetition :slight_smile:

I used hardboiled eggs when I started, and that helped my macros a lot.

I also have been downing 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil twice a day. That also helps me get about 450 good fat calories in; in a hurry. Surprising how that will curb your appetite.

I’m not much of a cook- but I’m learning. If you can get your fat macro right from the cooking- thats great and all the better!

Putting fat in your coffee, (bulletproof etc,) (I just add some coconut oil) is another easy; and pretty tasty way to shift macros toward fat.

Good Luck on the Journey!!

(Mike W.) #5

If you’re just starting out, bulletproof coffee. Hard to get more bang for your buck.

(outlawpirate) #6

When I began Keto I needed breakfast. You can cook bacon a few days ahead of time and store it in the fridge in a plastic bag or container. I also ate hard boiled eggs for a quick grab and go. But once your body adapts, you won’t want food every morning. I now drink a cup of Bulletproof coffee every morning for breakfast. Mine contains coffee, 2 Tbsp heavy cream, 1 Tbsp grassfes Kerrygold unsalted butter, 1 Tbsp bulletproof Brain Octane MCT Oil (you can also use coconut oil), 4 drops of stevia and a dash of cinnamon. All that fat generally holds me over until 2 PM when I get hungry and eat lunch at work. Then I eat dinner around 7 or 8 PM when I come home from work.

Agree with Mike. It’s hard to beat BPC if you’re trying to get some nice satiating fat in without a lot of hassle, plus you can experiment and see what suits your taste.
I like a mix of butter, coconut oil, cacao powder (tiny bit of carb there), and sea salt.

After getting beyond the fear that everything I was now eating was surely going to make me drop dead at any moment I even started eating butter and cheese as a snack.

Good luck with your journey!

Heavy cream is awesome, I might have to try the cinnamon in BPC. I’m one of those people who just can’t take Stevia, though. I tried to like it but it has a weird aftertaste to me.
I decided to experiment and let my kids taste it.
Two thought it was awesome, my daughter had the same reaction as me. Weird how that happens.

Thanks a lot for all the quick responses! Looking at BPC and how easily it levels your fat right from the start of the day I realise it’s hard to beat as a “starter breakfast”.

I’m still curious if there is some easily bought/consumed product that you can get in grocery stores that fit the bill. Imagine those times where you realise you have a hard time to cook/buy dinner and you just want to get the last 500 kcals of the day - the times where “normal” people buy fast food, or a sandwich or even a small yoghurt.

I freakin’ love macadamia nuts now but they are pricey. Per serving about 23g fat, 2g protein, 4g total carb but 1g if you’re subtracting fiber.

I don’t really worry much about caloric intake. I just try to keep from going overboard on protein, keep the carbs mostly to incidentals and mostly green vegetables and eat as much fat as I feel like eating.

(KB Keto) #11

I second this - I’ve found Pecans to be pretty good macro content and somewhat cheaper. Costco is my friend. Speaking of Costco - Cheese Wisps from there are spot on.

Early on - Baby Bell and Avocado were my go to snacks along with nuts. for a desert/sweet treat if you’re having a hard time cutting that = sugar free lime jello plus heavy whipping cream whipped

Definitely!
I’ve been out of avocados for a few days and have been missing them. Those things are a powerhouse of good stuff.

Oh, don’t forget about certain meats for quick snacks.
Pepperoni (the good cured ones that come in rolls) are very high fat to protein ratio as is braunschweiger.
I love braunscheiger but it will give you some serious heartburn if you eat too much at a time.
Also, cream cheese has a little carb but is low protein high fat. Mine from Aldi is 9g fat, 2g carb, 2g protein, and it’s very good on the pepperoni.

(Richard Hanson) #14

Good Morning Andarp,

The easiest breakfast is to simply skip it, but when I am not fasting on a work day, I will just have a cup of keto coffee which contains two tbs of butter and a tbs of coconut oil.

I also don’t have much of an issue of eating repetitively, especially not during the work day, and as I am trying to keep my protein intake < 50 g/day, I focus heavily on fats early in the day, saving my protein for when I am eating with my family. Lunch, at work, is most commonly a small container with one Brazil nut, one ounce of pecans, and two tbs of coconut oil. I keep a shaker of pink Himalayan salt in my desk, which get used frequently even when I am fasting, and a stash of sardines packed in olive oil. I like Sardines and I try to eat a package at least once a weak despite the protein.

I don’t ever snack, but certainly understand the desire for keto convenience foods and it is not at all difficult to assemble a “meal” from a selection of those foods.

• Single serving cheese sticks.
  • Pepperoni sticks
  • Various nuts. I get the snack zip-lock bags and measure into one ounce servings.
  • Cans of sardines packed in oil
  • Coconut oil - I have no problem just eating it out of a jar.

Depending on your personal choices, you should be aware that there might be social consequences. Some of my coworkers find my dietary proclivities a bit extreme. :nauseated_face:

Keto for Life!

Best Regards,
Richard

(Darlene Horsley) #15

When I am craving the salty crunchy snack I use either Brie ( rind removed) or white cheddar cheese cut into cubes 1/2 by 1/2 inch. Place on parchment paper and microwave 1 to 2 minutes or until crispy but not burned. Salt and eat.
Pork rinds with cream cheese and hot sauce is another fav of mine.

Yep, Darlene got me hooked on pork rinds and cream cheese. Last night I was even eating pepperoni on the darned things! :laughing:

(Darlene Horsley) #17

Guilty as charged!

(Sophie) #18

Sometimes, I share a can of Vienna Sausage with the puppy :wolf:

(KCKO, KCFO) #19

I like Wholy Guacamole (individual size packs) with pork rinds any time of day and it also works with the cheese crisps. Most groceries carry these products these days.

You can get packets of cheese wrapped in Prosciutto. Costco has them and my local King Soopers (part of the Kroger empire). I love them, grab and go and really yummy. You can also do them yourself using ham instead of proscuitto if you have time to prep.

My main breakfast is coffee with coconut oil these days. I recently stopped using HWC in my coffee. I find I don’t get hungry for along time after drinking this mix.

(Roger Korne) #20

I like mine with pimento cheese. That probably sounds gross to some but I love the stuff. 2 Tbs. has 9g fat, 6g protein, and .5g of carbohydrates.