Sept. 2018 IF / EF Chat ALL WELCOME

conversationstarters
fasting

(back and doublin' down) #161

You’re welcome here regardless!

So, I’ve had several false starts this week. ugh. Woke up this morning still feeling full from last night, so thinking I’ll try a weekend thing with no particular breaking deadline. Started some bone broth this morning and for some reason, working with it put me in a fasting mood. I want the empty feeling, the "let my body cannibalize itself’ feeling.

And @Janie ~ there’s one more meal of roast beef in my fridge and I’m fortunate to have a vacuum sealer, so no waste and no temptation!

(Omar) #162

lol

sorry

It is a good thread I always follow it.

I replied to another thread and found my reply here.

So I could not delete it So I edit it to say wrong thread.

sorry about that

(Susan) #163

i got my Keto Mojo yesterday. I am afraid to use it (it seems complicated, it might hurt, etc lol).
I last ate Wed morning at 5 am so I am on day 3 and i just discovered this morning that my salt has SUGAR! I had heard such a creature existed but i didn’t think mine would for some reason. So i need to go out into the world and find myself some proper salt. If i can find Redmond’s I will buy it, otherwise I will go with Himalayan pink salt. I have been diligently eating the salt for dizziness and headaches. I wonder how much sugar i have consumed over the last month or more.

It’s not that bad really, if you’re unsure, check out this video and give it a shot. I use the side of the finger as well, and hardly feel it. You will find it’s not what you might expect.

What?? That shouldn’t be legal! Ugh. If there’s a Whole Foods near you, they usually carry Redmond’s, but other stores do too, hope you have luck finding it.

I also was worried about the pain of sticking myself, not for a single stick, but knowing you’re going to check probably at least once daily for a while is different. When I was shopping for the glucose/ketone meter, someone on these forums (wish I could remember who) highly recommended ditching the lancing device that comes with the meter and buying an Accu-check Softclix device instead. I tried it side-by-side with the stabbing device that came with my Precision Neo and I think it really does make a difference. I found it worth the money. I also second the recommendations from @Digital_Dave. Lastly, I know a fair number of people reuse the same lancet tip repeatedly, but they do get dull, so along with whatever hygiene issues there may be, avoiding pain might be a good reason to change it every time. They aren’t pricy.

I’m at about hour 62 into a 72-hr fast, going for a walk soon to take my mind off food, despite not being hungry. :blush:

(Susan) #166

thank you @Digital_Dave that was very helpful.

Quite welcome. :slight_smile:

(Susan) #168

@Callisto thanks for your reply. I am on an island on the west coast of Canada. I am hoping the health food store carries Redmond’s.

I’d trade you my access to Redmond’s to be able to live on an island off the west coast of Canada any day of the week! :grin:

(Susan) #170

Hurray! My ketones are at 2.8 in spite of the sugar in the salt. My blood glucose is 7.5 which is 135 in the US. Hematocrit 37% and Hemoglobin 12.5 g/dl I have been fasting for 77 hours is my BG a tad high? I am not diabetic.

Oh EF, I’ve missed you. I haven’t fasted for awhile and I could use a break from eating for a few days. I’m pretty close to my goal weight and IF is good but EF is better (to me)
I just want to pick lint out of my abs. Is that too much to ask? :yum:

(back and doublin' down) #172

A goal is a good thing LOL

I’m now 36 hours in and so excited to have made it back to an EF zone! Haven’t decided how long I’m going, thinking at least 72, maybe longer. Have promised myself ten minutes of Headspace (meditation) every time I think I can’t go any longer.

(Susan) #173

I am such a newbie! My first use of Keto Mojo gave me the result of 7.5 for my blood glucose. I now realize the Keto Mojo registers in US values so my blood glucose was 75 not 135 as i reported. This caused me some worry as I am water fasting and in my mind it should have been lower. Whew what a relief! Today two days later I am happy to report on Fasting day 5 my ketones are 3.9 and my blood glucose is 73. Took me 2 of each test strips to get the blood right and 7 pokes. I won’t be doing that every day! I changed my salt to Sea salt.

(back and doublin' down) #174

@xsuebeex Whew! what a relief and happy for you being on day 5!

I’m at 60 hours, and had just a little stomach growling yesterday and meditated right through it. If I don’t start thinking about how to break/what to break with, I think I can keep going now. Would love to make it through Friday. The weekend will be busy, with time to eat but not start some crazy refeed problem.

(Running from stupidity) #175

If only they could join the first world :slight_smile:

Think I will start a fast now. Or, I should say, from an hour ago after eating dinner. … ? Don’t know why I always seem to start a fast, right after going grocery shopping!?! :crazy_face:

But it should make for a nice weekend of breaking/munching. :exploding_head:

Hour 42 and feeling good.

(back and doublin' down) #178

some things don’t happen. Made it 3 days. Calling that a win, especially since in several different readings today, my blood pressure is lowest in years! 117/79

(Jane) #179

After 2 false starts I am joining you guys this evening. Probably a short fast -42 hours or so.

I discovered I don’t fast well when not busy. Previously I only fasted during the week when I was gone on a business trip. This past weekend I stayed over in Houston instead of going home and was by myself so I thought - what the heck - good time to fast.

Except it wasn’t. I spent the weekend cocooned up in my hotel room and while I enjoyed the rest - I found it very difficult to fast. Not enough distractions.

My day starts with an online meeting at 7 am with Europe and my day is booked, including my first DEXA scan over my lunch hour. It also gets me out of the office and away from the smell of food.

KCFO

(Running from stupidity) #180

You’re certainly not alone there. #distractionsFTW