conversationstarters
fasting

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

New month, time for a new thread.

Keto fast support
August 2018 IF / EF Chat ALL WELCOME
Fasting Mate
Age and fasting 3-5 days

After gong out to Texas Roadhouse last night, and finishing off the other half of my Porterhouse Steak a few minutes ago… I’m actually quite ready for some fasting! :smile:

(Ellen) #3

I’ve been feasting the last couple of days & appetite seems to have woken up, am on the road a lot next few weeks so will get back into fasting on Monday.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #4

Today was 3rd day in a row IF 18/6. One or 2 more to go. I’m really finding IF helping my appetite. I used to be hungry all the time. Will EF after my visit with PCP at the end of the month.

(Jane) #5

I’ll be joining you guys next Tue night and will start my fast that evening. Such a shame to be in Houston and on an expense account and fasting!!! :upside_down_face:

But week after next I will be hosting my colleagues from Sweden so will want to treat them to some Tex-Mex and Texas BBQ while they are here so I won’t be missing out, plus can’t fast that week so next week it is.

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

I have a blood draw coming up this week, so will not be fasting except for the 12 hr. water only fast right before the draw. I want to see if cutting out coconut oil and greatly reducing caffeine will lower my LDL no. I am not concerned about the number, just want to see if some of the Feldman type protocols would work for me. I do not have high cholesterol in my family to my knowledge. Just curious to see how cutting back on those would impact my numbers.

I’ll be doing at least a 36 hr. fast after the draw.

Does it count if I started fasting in August??? 20 hours in currently :slight_smile:

(Jane) #8

You BETCHA!!!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #9

@collaroygal If you feel like it - please let us know how the blood test goes.

Still on a 5 day weekend myself, and have plans to make something tomorrow, so I will probably start after Monday nights dinner. Plus I’d rather fast during the weekdays.

(Hoby Bradfield) #11

Last month I did alternate day fasting… this month I am going IF on weekdays with a 48 hour fast in the 2nd and 4th weeks. Weekends will be for keto feasting… this will be my first attempt to do a 48 hour fast…

(back and doublin' down) #12

You got this!

I’m doing some feasting this holiday with a few things not keto. Had some carbs last night and woke up with my knee hurting. Coincidence? I don’t think so. High altitude fishing this morning and then feasting on some totally non-keto friendly but previously favorite burger Going to fast at least 36 hours after that, planning a long hike tomorrow to burn it all off, go back to 18:6 IFs for the rest of the week.

(back and doublin' down) #13

And Thank you, @collaroygal for starting this month’s thread! Happy to see familiar and new faces :slight_smile:

(Samantha) #14

Thanks for this thread, just the inspiration I need to get fasting again … 5 pound to go to reach my ‘target weight’. (I know, I know … the scale’s not everything, but it keeps me disciplined and accountable!)

Starting tomorrow, I’m doing 20/4 fasting weekdays, and a more relaxed 16/8 over weekends.

Hey everyone! I’m just starting a several-day fast (until Weds evening if I continue to feel good). I fasted more regularly last year, then stopped for a while because I couldn’t quite get a handle on my eating afterwards. Now I’m trying for a fairly relaxed approach (BPC in the mornings, fat if I feel weak or hungry) just to make it easy to start again, plus a lot of attention to re-feeding so that I don’t try to eat everything all at once :slight_smile:
I’m coming out of a month in which I had way more carbs than I have for ages. I actually feel fine - am metabolically pretty healthy - but I have no idea how it will feel to go from that to fasting, so … well, we’ll see.
Nice to see all of you on here!

(KCKO, KCFO) #16

People in the USA are you fasting over this holiday weekend? Or planning to do the fasting after the feasting.
Either way enjoy a safe and fun weekend.

I have a blood draw, so I am eating and only fasting for 12 hrs. before the draw on Wed. I won’t have to get on the scale for that, so I will have a little over a week to do fasting to drive my weight number down before seeing the dr. to discuss the results.

I have cut way back on caffeine, still have 16 oz mug of it first thing in the morning and I have cut out coconut oil for a couple of weeks now. Both of those can confound your LDL/chol. readings. I wanted to see if I could nudge my HDL slightly higher, and the LDL slightly less for a better over all number. This is purely a n=1 experiment, since my numbers are ok currently but could go slightly better.

I did the DNA report over on Dr. Rhonda’s foundmyfitness.com website. I have a few genes that could be problematic with too much saturated fats, those genes tend to make your body not deal with sat. fats as well as the mono and poly fats. So I am glad I cut down on my primary source of sat. fat, the coconut oil. I was eating a LOT of that. Did find out that eggs and fish are both excellent choices for me. Which is good, I love all things eggy. And I have yet to meet a fish I didn’t enjoy eating.

(Kerin ) #17

I’m starting as of an hour ago (12:30 eastern standard time). I am grateful to be working tomorrow! :blush:
Thank you for sharing your menu choices despite genetic compromise!

(Edith) #18

Hi Everyone,

I piped in at the very end of August with intermittent fasting, trying 16/8 most days last week. Some days I was successful, some days not so much.

I am enjoying the holiday weekend and not fasting beyond about 15 hours, but this week I am going to go for the gusto and try two 24 hours fasts. The first, of which, will be Monday evening to Tuesday evening.

Did some random fasting yesterday and today. Yesterday it just happened. I was working then day got busy and thought…hmm, I feel fine. So I carried on and broke my fast around 4pm and then ate dinner around 7pm. Then today I thought, I wonder if I’ll feel fine again… So I decided to see how it went and just broke my fast with a nice dinner at 6pm and felt incredibly fine. Really surprised. This would have been really hard before as I have fasted in the past, but now I’m wondering, because of the ease, could I be fat adapted. This is about 1 month keto. Didn’t want to overthink it, just ate a normal dinner.

Well, being under the weather kind of changed things for me. Seemed no matter what I wanted to try, just made me feel worse. Been laid up all day, just feeling bad. Did start eating some stuff earlier, but little bits of a few things, just to introduce something after having some stomach issues with being upset. … Think I’m starting to feel just a little better, so hoping tomorrow is better. Been going on since Saturday night.

So I may just try to eat some smaller stuff for the few days to try and kick the system back into gear. Will have to look at fasting once it’s cleared up.