Sept. 2018 IF / EF Chat ALL WELCOME

conversationstarters
fasting

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #181

Sooo… atempting my first ever Fast while on staycation… I mean I have thousand things to do, but the temptation is always there currently at 20h. reaching 48 would be cool… I guess it would be nice to have dinner with my new flatmate so he is not too instantly weirded out XD

(Running from stupidity) #182

“NO, I never eat. Saves a fortune!”

(Susan) #183

Well i made it 6 days of a water fast with 2 black coffee a day. I must say the last three days have not been pleasant; weakness, dizziness, headache that electrolytes and salt wouldn’t fix. I had to take the last two nights off work. Therefore my 5-7 day fast ended up being 6 days. Exactly 144 hours. I am ending the fast with bone broth with some full fat yogurt and greens later. I guess I need to be a little more fat adapted before I try that again. I have a habit of immersing myself in a project and trying to do everything at once. Deep breath, KCKO Hope everyone has a good Zornfast. Now I can read (and drool over) the “What did you Keto today” thread.

(Allie) #184

Please keep in mind that it’s best to end a fast if you feel bad. Pushing through is not good for you if your body is not ready.

(Susan) #185

Yes, I kept telling myself that but I am so stubborn. Next time I will listen to my body.

I can get very stubborn like this. With fasting, I now have a rule about stopping if I get any of these: extreme fatigue or cold; dizziness that lasts more than a second or two; my husband telling me I look pale. This has meant that it never feels punitive, and it’s quite easy to start the next one since at this point my main experience with fasting is that I feel great while doing it. [This is my second round of trying fasting. The first time I was more stubborn, trying to stick to a set number of days, and I derailed and actually stopped fasting for about a year.]

I think that depending on pre-fast eating, TOM, stress, workouts, recent sleep - a million variables - every fast will feel a bit different, and there’s just no way to anticipate all of those things and how they will influence a particular fast, but you can respond to how you feel.

I’m going to break fast at 72 hours. It’s time

(Jane) #188

Well done!

(Jane) #189

24 hours in. A bit hungry a few times but easy to ignore. Strict water/black coffee this time for maximum autophagy since it will be a shorter fast - 42 hours this time.

KCFO

(Susan) #190

Well, after doing some research I think I have solved a mystery for myself. I did a 6 day water fast but continued to take my full allotment of medication for insomnia. One of these meds is Trazadone which I discovered causes muscle fatigue and weakness. On top of no food this effect increased, I got so weak I could only stand a few minutes at a time. I didn’t feel hungry and I was convinced it was something other than the fast. I will consult with my Dr about weaning myself off them. i continue to feel weak although I broke my fast this morning. It took me two hours to make lunch and I still haven’t done the dishes tonight. I have a relatively easy night at work tonight so I won’t miss a third night. E=1 does it again! Hopefully this effect will not last too long, I will push on through.

(Jane) #191

36 hours in and feeling really good and would like to keep fasting but business social obligations dictate otherwise. I will make it to 42 hours and then I can make me my BPC that I really miss when fasting!

Presently at 63 hrs. and feeling great. :slight_smile: … I think fasting really lets you know if you’re not feeling well. Past few weeks I was feeling a little wonky, but I’ve missed this feeling.

Now that I’ve re-started fasting with a few (monthly 3-5 day fasts), I’m re-introducing two 40-ish hour fasts/week. I’ve done two of these so far and they’re no big deal but I didn’t sleep well and so can feel I might need the extra accountability. Will check in a few times today!

I love seeing everyone’s updates! Even when I’m not fasting I generally read this thread :slight_smile:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #194

I ended up OMADing the whole week so far… but I am okay with that. everytime I notice i want to graze i would make a decent meal until I’m full and then that’ll be the end of it…

It is easier when I have my regular daily schedule…

I will however try to go for 36h now… I am at hour 5 so far… I’m going out tomorrow and just want to look and feel my best and dance all night long :sunglasses:

hope everyone else is doing great and I wish you the best weekend!

(Central Florida Bob ) #195

Haven’t posted here in a while, but still doing ADFs as just part of normal life - this is my 13th week - still watching the scale creep ever so slowly down. I’m down 20 pounds since I started, or about 1-1/2 lb/wk. Honestly, that isn’t “ever so slowly”, it’s pretty darned good.

Thought I’d mix it up and instead of doing ADF, just do the three days fasting per week I do as one straight 3 day fast. Then I chickened out and decided to do two days straight. I’m at hour 63 now and will probably have lunch. Or else wait till dinner, which would make it a full 72 hour fast.

The battle in fasting is always in the mind. Always. On Sunday, I had one of those silly, juvenile, “how come I can’t eat” moments (picture a 5 year old pouting) and honestly felt worse Sunday well under 24 hours fasting than I do now.

(back and doublin' down) #196

Yep. Agree completely!

(Running from stupidity) #197

Which battles are not, really? #philosophy101

(Liz ) #198

Hey folks! I’m under a lot of life stress these days & responsible for feeding my husband & elderly mom every evening so I’ve been happily eating daily, mostly 2MAD with heavy cream in my coffee every morning.

I looked at my fasting app, I use Vora, and I see I did manage a 48 hour EF mid-July. Today was the first chance to EF since then so I snagged it. Currently just over 25 hours in no problems. I’ll break tomorrow afternoon or wait until tomorrow dinner.

I generally break my fast with a few spoonfuls of sour kraut to encourage good gut flora. Maybe some olives, a piece of bacon. Then I wait an hour before eating more because my gut gets really touchy on refeed and I have a propensity to overeat after fasting.

Before my life was interrupted in May I was fasting weekly 48-90 hours at a time.

I’ve been using EF to hopefully push my basal insulin rate down over time so I can lose a few more pounds. Also hoped to use autophagy to deal with loose skin from being 49 years old & 100 pounds down from my largest.

Even without extended fasting my weight is very steady. It’s a bit higher than where I hope to end up some day but to go through this much life stress & not gain weight and to feel strong and healthy throughout, no temptation to veer off the Keto course, that’s amazing. Keto for life!

(KCKO, KCFO) #199

I was wondering when you would show your face around here again. Sorry to hear the stress really hasn’t gotten much better but at least your weight stayed steady.

The Zornfast is going on so I am fasting and in just over 25 hrs. too. I will have to try the sour kraut fast breaking trip when I stop fasting.

(Liz ) #200

Thanks, friend! I’ve been lurking but not feeling super chatty. Let me know if you notice any benefit with the sour kraut. I read somewhere that the pre-biotics are beneficial but how would I know?? I don’t generally have gut issues (only post EF)