Sept. 2018 IF / EF Chat ALL WELCOME

conversationstarters
fasting

This is my ideal as well!
@Rajseth, did you Have any trouble sleeping early on in your fasting? And have you seen that change? I’m pretty comfortable fasting, can deal with the minor hunger pangs and I have good energy, but my sleep is kind of a mess by the second or third day of a fast.

(Raj Seth) #42

I did find in the early days that when fasted I would wake up way way too soon. like 4-5 hours after I fell asleep. However, I felt rested and juiced up the rest of the day. So I can’t say that my sleep was troubled - I thought it was just super efficient!
I no longer notice that - though I think I am just used to it by now. I know that I sleep less than I used to. I wake up before my alarm most mornings. And indeed, I do feel juiced all the time.

I LOVE KETO

Thank you! I’m waking up early but not very rested but will keep on and hope that it resolves over time.
You’re an inspriration!!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #44

41h my first little “hunger pang” it is more the feeling of my stomach emptying out completely…

Will have some salt and some greentea an soldier on…

(Teresa (turtle)) #45

I am just about at hour 13 now and I really want to get to Saturday afternoon this time. The good news is that I see on my FitBit stats that my average weight has been trending down as the last two week it was 162 when weeks before it was 164. I am still trying to get it to stick at below 160.

(Clint Phelps) #46

i’m 13 hours into what I intend to be my first 7 day fast. I’ve done 3 days several times. I will go as long as I feel fine, but I’m not going to push myself beyond my limits.

(Jane) #47

I also have trouble sleeping on Day 2 and 3 of my fasts. Hopefully it gets better as my fasting muscle strengthens!

(Kerin ) #48

https://www.dietdoctor.com/renew-body-fasting-autophagy

This article is a little lengthy, but it helped me understand that IF is a great sustainable WOL. (way of life).

(Doug) #49

Kerin, IF is indeed great for many people. As to autophagy, though, not much is going to happen during the first day of fasting - any food in the digestive system needs to exit the stomach and small intestine, a ‘post-absorptive’ phase needs to end, glycogen (if there’s any around to speak of) needs to be used up, and then autophagy increases. In mice, it’s still increasing in some tissues at 48 hours (when the mouse will be half or more starved to death). Autophagy hasn’t been studied much, not nearly enough, in humans, but insulin is still decreasing after multiple days of fasting, and glucagon is still increasing - both of these weigh on autophagy.

(Allie) #50

I’m off work this week so am making the most of being able to spend time cooking proper meals rather than living on the snacky type foods I have to take to work. Still sticking with IF but also focusing on nutrient density and the variety I can’t get while eating just at work.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #51

I’m getting my blood drawn on Sept 17 and will not IF for a week before. Been listening to Dave Feldman and don’t want to drive up my lipid numbers from fasting.

That said, I am really loving IF 18/6 or 17/7. I just feel better and don’t have such an appetite.

Hour 65 for me. I slept terribly - a very broken up 6 hours, and I woke cranky and tired - but I actually feel great right now. It’s an intense work day, and my energy is strong and steady.
This fasting thing is pretty cool :slight_smile:

I had a planned cheat weekend this weekend and I’m doing a short fast to get back on track. I last ate at 8:45 last night and was planning to make it until dinner tonight, but I would feel better if I could just make it til tomorrow morning…seems like it would help me get back into ketosis faster. But if I’m too hungry, i’ll just eat tonight, no big deal.

(Edith) #54

Okay everyone, today was my first 24 hour fast. It ended up being 23 hours because of our dinner timing but I figure that’s close enough. By about 2:30 pm, I was really starting to countdown the hours until dinner, but I busied myself and that helped.

I think now that I’ve done it once, I will have no problem with the second one Thursday. I think keeping busy will really be the key.

Felt a little better today thankfully, but I did get a little wonky feeling in the tummy around lunch today, but think that was more to having an empty stomach from not feeling well. So grabbed a salad and then another one for dinner along with some Salmon. So if I feel ok tomorrow, I may go ahead and start a fast from tonights dinner at 6:00pm. Will play it by ear for how long, if so.

Congratulations! It’s so cool, isn’t it? I’m finishing up my 3rd day and most of the time I’m not aware of it at all, and when I am it’s for the feeling of pride and freedom.

(Jane) #57

Just started mine after dinner tonight. Was going to start it after lunch but I was gasp hungry at dinner time! I blame too many carbs yesterday.

But not going to give in this time and shooting for 2-3 days.

Happy fasting everyone!

(Jane) #58

Yay! Congrats and it gets easier the more you do it. 80% of it is mental and hormones.

And once you’ve set a time to stop your fast at x number of hours… no matter if a 24-hr or 36 or 72… your stomach holds you to that and you start thinking of nothing but food the 3 or 4 hours before your set time to break your fast. Never fails!!!
:grinning:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #59

57h and as of now I feel like there is no end in sight.
Woke up 20 minutes before the alarm (again)
Almost couldn’t get up (physically because I am so sore, which is a feeling I actually love)
But feeling great. The typical stomach rumbles of day 3 other than that all is fine.

I am so crazy busy this week, (which is a very good thing). I have one person every day coming over to look at the room I am renting out.
Fasting has made it that much easier, freeing time to clean up and organize (as well as leaving the kitchen in a pristine way for days)

I am starting my fast tonight. I’ve been slacking off and not making the best choices. I am aiming for 48 but if I can hold out longer I won’t be sad :slight_smile: