Sept. 2018 IF / EF Chat ALL WELCOME

conversationstarters
fasting

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #21

I completed my first 70 hour fast on Saturday.
I then refed with my mum at a pub lunch but I could have kept going and only broke it because I don’t let Keto interrupt my social life and enjoying food still. It worked out well. I felt so great.
Day 2 and 3 is definitely more easier in my opinion.
Day 1 was just odd, I had only intended to do a 48, but kept thinking about food
Day 2 was better, stopped thinking about food and felt no hunger at all, no headaches, felt great
Day 3 I woke up feeling awesome, I had so much energy, I wasn’t even thinking about food anymore.

Fasting is becoming easier and easier. I will definitely be able to join the Zorn this month :slight_smile:

(Todd Gamel) #22

I have been fasting every Monday and Tuesday for over a month now. My plan for September was to start a one week fast yesterday (the week before my 56 birthday), but I became sick last night with a stomach virus so no fast this week. :frowning:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #23

just started yesterday evening. getting to 10h now.

forgot my decaf coffee at home, so I have to make do with tea…

aming for about 48 h which would be tomorrow evening.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #24

Yesterday was skipping breakfast to do a 18/6 IF for my 4th day in a row. Got an invite from a dear friend that cooked some wonderful food, had cheese and salami/ham samples and some fine wine for lunch. He even had a tiny piece of sous vide steak for me, which was my first sous vide.

Felt so full and satisfied that I just skipped dinner. So I ended up with an accidental one meal day. Getting ready to go to the gym and will skip breakfast so I’ll make it a 22 hr fast.

My friend, who is not keto, asked me if I had seen the magic pill movie. So he seems pretty informed.

(Michelle) #25

Hello all. I usually IF during the week and feast on the weekends. After a week long vacation back in July, I’ve had a hard time with grazing constantly during my eating window. My goal for this month is to stop that. It starts with hunger, but then continues because I just have this insatiable desire to eat all of the things. It’s mental, but I seem to do better if I eat a meal in the afternoon. So that’s the plan. Oh, and to get back into the habit of taking food to work in case I need to break my fast at 16 or 18 hours instead of 20+.

I started today, one day down and feeling fine–woot.

Good luck to everyone else fasting at the moment!

Running tally
48 hours done: still feeling great.
72 hours done: felt great throughout the day but decided to break my fast at this point in an effort to build my fasting muscle slower.

(back and doublin' down) #27

14 hours into a 24 with a carnivore only meal plan for the evening.

@Cheesewizard Michelle, I’ve noticed a grazing problem lately too. Part is boredom, so I’ve started crocheting (Christmas crafting) and plan to have some fattier meals when I do eat to ensure satiety.

Happy to see new voices and perspectives on using IF and EF for health and more!

(Susan) #28

Hi all, I accidentally broke my fast at 103 hours, on the fifth day. I had absolutely no problem fasting, (water, black coffee, 1 cup of broth with salt), felt I could go forever and ended up sleep eating on sleeping pills. I work nights and they are an evil necessity. It was one small meal, i didn’t feast. I had planned to do at least 10 days, perhaps 14 if i could manage. Now I am wondering if I should continue fasting or just feast? I would appreciate any opinions.

Can’t say if there is one better way better than another, but for me, I’ve always tried to eat at least get a few meals in between fasting. Also believe I recall others mentioning that you should feast the same amount as your fast? - I believe @Rajseth is one who has stated this before as well? But he would have to confirm this.

I’m still trying to give myself a few more days to get my system back in order from being under the weather the past couple days, but already feeling better today, opposed to the last couple.

@xsuebeex, I’ve also seen the suggestion to eat for two days between stretches of fasting, but there is someone on here who just fasted until she had to share a meal with someone, then picked up the fast again - I think for months. I don’t remember who it was but maybe someone else will?

Checking in at 46 hours and so far I feel good.

I’m still in the phase of being generous (probably overly generous) with fats in my drinks and even some coconut butter, so I’m technically in a fat fast. But I’m coming out of a month of much higher carb than usual and my goal is just to make sure I keep enjoying the fasts so that I do a 3-5 day EF at least 1x/month without much fuss. Sustainability is my goal right now, and it’s working :slight_smile:

Happy fasting, everyone! Nice to see all of your updates.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #32

Just passed 24h like it was a breeze…
Zumba was awesome, the “core” training was a bit too much…

Not feeling caffeine withdrawal (mean headaches) makes all the difference…

(Raj Seth) #33

Yes, I have stated that, per my understanding of the Fung/Ramos knowledgeable, the feasting part is just as important, or maybe even more important than, the fasting part.
I have not claimed any knowledge of the optimal ratio of fasting v feasting. My N=1 experience, I am fasted 35-40% of the time. This is a long term average for the entire year. Its working for me. I also subscribe to their hypothesis of having fasting fit your schedule. That is what I do. I have a travel job - and I travel 72-75 hours at a time - so I just fast on the road. Occasionally, when there is a social occasion during travel, I partake. SO it works out to 2:1 feasting:fasting.
YMMV

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought I had read you mention that before, and just wanted to be sure I was correct. I can’t say I’ve heard it many times, but do believe I have read it elsewhere as well. … In my personal thoughts, I was thinking you should probably allow your system to flip completely back to feeding, before going directly back into fasting. But again, that was just my thinking, not based on anything specific. :slight_smile:

(Raj Seth) #35

this year I have about 3 months fasted. My fasting muscle is at Schwarzenegger level of development. So I just fast as the schedule demands. I no longer worry about how to fast, how to break, what electrolytes to have, whether “half n half in my coffee breaks the fast”, what my ketones are, what my feast fast ratio is etc. I just fast when convenient, and break when I want. I track every fast, so I know I have done 35 fasts for a total of 96 days. Fasting is my superpower.

Thanks Jason & Megan.
Thanks 2KD - without keto I don’t think fasting was ever going to be happening.

This is my ideal, I have yet to reach Schwarzengger levels but am confident that my fasting muscle is strengthening with each fast. I’m on day 2 of an EF and haven’t had one wave of hunger yet, which is an improvement since even though I don’t usually hit a wall until day 5 I do experience waves of passing hunger along the way.

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #37

Coming up on 72 hours fasted, with only water, coffee, tea, and broth (for the electrolytes). Longest I’ve managed to date and feeling pretty good.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #38

35h feeling awesome… just the slightest bit sore from working out.

Being free from coffee is the best decision I made in terms of fasting. I think it was severely messing with my thyroid and adrenals…

lets see if I get to 72h…

(Edith) #39

Today is my first attempt at a 24 hour fast. Thanks to sleep, I am already 11 hours in. How bad can 13 more hours be, right?

(Raj Seth) #40

Indeed, Edith - getting over the mental block of “eat or you’ll die” seems to be the hardest part. Our brains keep telling us to eat - but if you truly listen to your body, it may not be as desperate. I had a colonoscopy a few years ago - and prep required a one day fast. I was so nervous, but did it and, indeed, did not immediately die of starvation!! This was pre-keto too!!

You can do this. salt directly on the tongue and lots of cold water worked best for me.