Seed Crackers

seeds
crackers

From episode #23 of the Keto Woman podcast - Chips ‘n’ Dips with Taffiny Elrod

1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup hemp hearts
2 cups flax seeds (I used dark and light today)
1 T chia seeds
3T psyllium husks
3 cups warm water
Whatever seasonings you want. I use salt and pepper but have made with onion flakes, herbs, parmesan, cumin, olive oil. Sky’s the limit!

I blitz the pumpkin and sunflower up a bit to make them smaller - just find it makes a more even cracker but it is not necessary.

Mix all the dry ingredients up well and then add and mix in well the water.

Let it sit for a while to absorb the water and glue together - about 15 mins.

Give it a good stir and then spread out on a baking sheet. I have just split that mix into 3 and used one on a silicon mat that took up most of it. I have found the mix keeps well in the fridge for at least a few days. I am trying one in the freezer this time too - don’t see why it won’t work fine.

Score the sheet of cracker into 8 blocks (or whatever) - this makes it easier to do the next bit! I find the easiest way to spread it out evenly is to blob it out and spread with hands. Then put a sheet of wax paper on top and roll it out. Use wet hands to smooth it over and you won’t stick!

Bake in a lowish oven (I have mine on about 150C to start and it usually gets turned down later) for about 30-40 mins. It doesn’t hurt to let the steam out once in a while as you are basically drying them out.

When they are set enough to lift off the sheet, carefully split apart the sections and turn them over to dry out. I find the best thing is to get rid of the sheet now and have them directly on the wire rack in the oven.

This is when I turn the oven down a bit and basically leave them in there until they are crisp - probably another 40 mins min. It depends a bit how thin you have managed to roll them out.

Break them up into whatever size you like and store in an airtight container. I am not sure how long they last as mine never last more than 3-4 days! I expect they would freeze? They are so delicious and non-keto peeps go mad for them, I don’t think you will have to worry about how long they last!

Keto seed/nut crackers anyone?
#023: Chef Taffiny Elrod - Chips 'n' Dips
Crunchy After dinner snack advice
(Todd Allen) #2

I bet these are good with your chicken liver pate.

(Sybella) #3

yum I love chicken livers. will have to try this recipe

Yes they are :smiley:

Load up with butter, mustard and pâté, maybe a cornichon if you like that kind of thing.

(Karen) #5

Yum, and do I!!

K

I wonder if xantham powder would work instead of psyllium powder, I don’t have any of that right now…

Hmmm - I am yet to use it. It needs to be sticky! I actually use psyllium husks and am yet to try the powder.

@Daisy These came out beyond delicious. I wasn’t sure I would have the temptation to eat them one after the other like you were talking about, however you are right they are so amazing! The recipe on episode 23 is a little different. I think it’s a little smaller batch which was perfect for me as I’m only cooking for myself. Thank you so much for this recipe I’m so excited cause I’m not a cook and it turned out great! I went on also to make the tempanada & the cheese crackers in the same episode. Thank you thank you thank you.
:chipmunk:

Awesome. I haven’t made them for a while actually but I must. They always go down really well with guests too who like them more than regular crackers. The recipe is pretty flexible and will tolerate being messed with quite a lot with switching ingredients and eye-balling quantities. I like recipes like that!

It also keeps well if you make too much. I have frozen it before now and then just squished out and baked at a later date - works fine.

@Daisy, good to know!
Another cool thing , the ingredients cost only $3.00!!
I’ve yet to find a cheese cracker made of asiago or parm that isn’t kind of chewy. I bake until they’re Chrispy but when you eat them theyr’e still chewy.Maybe that’s just how they always turn out. if you know of A cheese crisp recipe that has maybe a secret ingredient please let me know!
Have a lovely week!
:cherry_blossom:

I can’t answer that question. I have baked till crisp and they are crisp when I eat them. Maybe you need to bake a little longer? and leave to chill a little. You’re scarfing them all straight out the oven aren’t you? :smiley: Kidding - talking about what I would do!

Hi, @Daisy … No actually, they lasted 3 days! I listened to your podcast yesterday re: seed bread! The expensive one! That’s next!
I love your podcast, You have a lovely style and I love your voice and you ask wonderful questions.
I will be sad when I run out of episodes!
I would like maybe 2 a week, 1 being a recipe show.
Hearing, rather than reading a recipe makes a big difference.
OK, so if you can’t do 2 shows a week, more RECIPES PLEEEEEZE !
Luv the interviews too!
Happy day!
:dog2:

@Daisy Which keto woman Podcast has the dog training thing.
Please. I have a friend that is interest in it.

Mary McNeight #31 :slight_smile:

http://ketowomanpodcast.com/mary-mcneight/

@Daisy Do you use raw or roasted sunflower seeds? I need to pick more (of either kind!) and some more sesame seeds. Cannot wait to make these!

(Heath) #16

I make something very similar but with an egg added in. (Crispbread recipe on DietDoctor.com) They come out so crunchy and satisfying!

I just use raw because they toast when they cook hope you like them.