Scared to try Keto

newbies
fasting

Hi Newbies,

I heard about Keto a few weeks ago. I’d like to start on April 1. I’m researching/preparing now.

Questions:

1. Did anyone not lose weight on Keto, and how did you makes changes?

2. Do you combine Keto with fasting?

3. What books/blogs do you recommend? I think being a first-timer, I might go with private coaching. Anyone you recommend?

Thanks so much!
Sarah

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #2

Art of ketogenic living.
Obesity code.

(Michel Labelle) #3

I’d start with this video.

And then go through the resources in this page. It is where I send all my friends to start.

Next the great search function, you’ll probably find a page with experts on every question you have.

I’ll keep an eye on this page as well if you have anything you can’t find.

EDIT: As far as coach, look up Intensive Dietary Management (IDM) or HEAL. They both have great remote coaching programs.

(Hoteski) #4

Hi I started keto just after christmas.

1.im 1lp away from loosing 2st or 27lp
2. When you first start you just need to get to grips with the diet . Don’t deprive yourself. As you progress you will naturally start to fast. I eat only once a day now as I truly do not feel hungry or crave anything the rest of the day . I have my meal for lunch and it’s usually high protein lowest carb hot dogs or chicken breast with humus. I eat till I’m satisfied and don’t feel guilty about anything I eat as I know it’s all good that helps. I do vary my food and if I cook at home I cook everything from scratch so I know what’s in it. To start with I’d have a half a part of veg half protein cooked in butter. I don’t eat too much fat as it doesn’t suit me and I’m using the fat from my body. Also if I want something sweet which is very rare I hsve San Atkins bar of chocolate . I use ashwaganda drops in some water most days as it helps lower blood sugar.
3. I would recommend reading on here. Ask for help. Also ruledme.com I also find primal health edge on YouTube informative.

(Hoteski) #5

Btw veg I eat are green mostly

(Scott westerman) #6

Hi there,
I started a LCHF way of eating on November 13th 2016 ! I was very strict and started with a bullet proof coffee in the morning and then 3 small meals through the day eventually moving to 2 meals. I never had blood work done before or after starting but I was 16 stone when I started and 6 months in I was down 5 stone. 40” waist to 32 “ waist XL shirt/t shirts to M !
I continue to eat this way as I find it pretty easy to do !
I have not lost any more weight even though I feel I could lose a little more but I’m not a slave to the scale, I can fit into cloths I never imagined I would and feel great everyday.
My advise is to just go for it ! [quote=“Hoteski, post:4, topic:34822”]
ashwaganda
[/quote]

Thank you, Michel. That video is an incredible resource. I’ll review the other links as well. Thanks again.

Excellent, thank you so much. And congratulations on weight loss!! How long did that take for you?

ruledme.com is incredible!!!

(Tessy M.) #10

As far as weight loss goes, you’ll find people here who have lost a tremendous amount of weight in a short time and others who have been slow.
I do believe that if you just stick to it and heal your body and metabolism you will shed the pounds.

(Straight outta ‘Straya’) #11

Just moving to low carb and high fat has helped me even though I am not hitting close to the low carb levels needed Ketosis.

Give it a try - you have nothing to lose but your weight

(Hoteski) #12

I started keto at 16st 13lp or 237lp just after Christmas 2017 and I am as of this morning 15stone 0lp or 210lp so that’s just over 3 months with a fast lost in the first week then sliwed down. Also I do not loose weight during pms week or even put in weight during periods however I now no longer weigh myself in the few days leading up to my period until the day after my period as I know my body will not loose anything during this time of the month and I would just get upset if I did. What I do is I race myself effectivly by saying u want to get to a certain realistic weight before my next period and as an overall goal I work towards getting down to the next stone down from where I am currently . So right now I just want to see 14st something…anything less than 15stone. Once I get to 14st something I will change my goal to be 13stone anything . Each stone is 14 pounds so I only realky focus on that as an acgeavebke goal. I want to be 10st 7lp as a massive dream of mine … Never been that small before but as you can imagine loosing 6stone or 85 pounds initially as a goal is so daunting and unimaginable. If I thought if it as that which I have been for two years it just felt like the impossible to me. I couldn’t see how I could do that. I truly believed I couldn’t . But I can manage getting down to my current goal of 1pound to get to 14st 13 LP and be happy about that. I’ve lost a dress size and two cup sizes on my bra … Just bought some new ones today as my last bra was getting way too big.(yes I only had 1 bra) I’ve also taken before pictures and I today took new ones … just for myself to see the difference, got an app to put the pictures side by side and I’m alot smaller than what I was and I see the difference .

In a side note, since starting this diet the following has occured to my body.

Hair and nails are stronger and longer
IBS has completely stopped
No mood swings minus pms week but still less during that time
I always have energy
I don’t ever crash as sugar levels are always stable
I hardly ever finish or even eat half of my plate of foid, I used to eat a big man size portion and I’d eat it quickly
I eat slower now a I’m 38yold woman
Mental clarity at all times despite eating so little food
No cravings for any food most of the month. Pms week I might have an Atkins bar of chocolate
I don’t eat too much fat as it makes me feel sick also the 80% is meant to come from food and your own body fat.
Sleep is better
I’m living life now, before I was only existing
I smile alot more
I’m happy within myself
I used to struggle to walk upstairs or walk anywhere, going to Amsterdam in October was quite frankly painful on my body and uncomfortable, I was literally the fattest person there (they are very slender people in Holland as they cycle everywhere)
Now I don’t struggle and go to the gym doing heavy weights out doing my bf
I don’t get sick or catch flu or colds anymore, I used to get sick all the time last year when I was at my heaviest
I also don’t get infections anymore
There’s more than just the weight to think about x

(Teresa (turtle)) #13

Hi there Sarah and welcome! I whole-heartedly agree with trying Keto without coaching for a few months and if you find you still are struggling or need more guidance than what you find here then check out Ketoconnect.net and about haif way down the main page “Our best content” click on the coaching link. Crystal Love Coaching packages are available.

Will do, thank you!

I love all the videos on dietdoctor.com. First month is free then $9/month.

1: I wasn’t trying to, but did anyway.
2: In my opinion not at first! Get fat adapted first, when you start forgetting to eat because you’re not hungry then maybe that would be the time.
3: Maria Emmerich Keto. is good. Check out Ivor Cummins’ on youtube or also his recent book with Dr. Gerber Eat Rich Live Long.

Good luck with everything and if you get started make sure you watch your electrolytes.

Oh and by the way, after so many years of salt and fat propaganda I was sure I was going to drop dead any moment when I first started but guess what, I feel better than I have in YEARS and I weigh less than I did when I graduated boot camp in 1989!