Rockin' October

(Donna ) #141

Good luck, @LizinLowell, on reducing the cream in your coffee. It was a hard one for me, too. Stopping my liquid Splenda drops was difficult, too. Before IF, I was putting 1/2 C cream (yes, 1/2 CUP!) in my coffee and 11 drops of artificial sweetener (EZ Sweetz).

After a 43 hour fast, I was able to just stop. The ‘want’ went away, I was seeing results, and suddenly after all this time, I didn’t feel like I had to have it.

I actually drank a black cup of coffee yesterday afternoon and it didn’t kill me. LOL I add a dash of pink salt and NoSalt to the grinds before I pour the water through. I’ve heard that’s supposed to help reduce bitterness. Without all the cream to cool it off, it was super hot, so I had to put a couple of ice cubes in to make it a drinkable temperature. So, i guess that helped dilute it a little, too.

I was putting coconut oil in my coffee and running it in the blender, but felt like I wasn’t losing as much weight when I used it. So, I stopped. (Though it is yummy and I want to add it back during my maintenance.)

Anywhoo, best wishes on your cream reduction! I know it isn’t easy. Cheering you on, and looking forward to hearing about your progress to black-er coffee! :smiley:

(Liz ) #142

Thank you! It’s so helpful to hear your experiences. I will keep marching toward water fasting & let you all know if it makes a difference like I hope. I still have 20-25 lbs to lose & I’m trying to be patient (Keto for life regardless) but also I don’t want to be sabotaging my efforts!! In the mean time I will KCKO

(Mark Rhodes) #143

Hi Liz-
I am hopefully doing a 5 day EF this week with black coffee and water. Black Coffee. eh. As stated earlier I don’t much care for it as much as my thick and creamy delights but we went to the roaster yesterday and I got some really smooth blends that at least tasted okay. I have never tried NOT doing caffeine since my Grandma got me to first drink coffee at about age 9. No matter how sick I have been whether a flu or detoxing from alcohol 28 years ago or opiates for pain 4 years ago I always had at least a morning sip. I will drink a 4 shot cream latte just before bed. SO yeah- I really understand coffee addiction. For now I am not willing to address that issue and I am willing stall if it comes down to coffee. Hurumpf! And get off my lawn you kids!

Anyway- just finished 2 weeks of IF 5 on 2 off on a 21-3 schedule. And I worked out really hard on feasting days and my protein doubled or more on those days. My results till now are I am 2 pounds up BUT my waist feels just as loose so I am hoping this was glycogen load. My goal is to do EF, feast Saturday and Sunday and then IF again for two weeks again into November. This time I will keep my window for eating just as tight but calorie restricted by 500 to see if I can keep whatever I lose during the EF, mostly off and thereby reset a lower set point.

Tinkering. All I do is tinker.

(Liz ) #144

Man I feel ya on the tinkering. In full tinker mode right now.

It did momentarily occur to me to try giving up coffee for a few months and I said as much to my husband but when he came back in the room I was already setting up new cold brew to steep lol, I didn’t even think about what I’d just said! Auto pilot. Haha! Yeesh. So I did want to mention I find the cold brew a smoother taste if you haven’t tried that yet. Meanwhile I’m pushing my coffee with heavy cream later in the day to coincide with breaking my IF around 2 pm. See if that works.

For EFs I’ll have to try living with black. Bleh. Not sure when my next EF will be, we just loaded up the fridge with tasty eats! I hope your tinkering brings results or at least usable information. I’ve been trying to go easy on the protein, see if that’s an issue for me.

(KCKO, KCFO) #145

Just bopping in to say I reached a new weight low, haven’t been here since the 80’s. Also my dr. appt. went really well, she even gave me a hug!!! Said she was proud of me. Most of her patients don’t listen when she says to lose weight. She told me keep doing exactly what I am doing. I’m coming off a 98.5 hr. fast and feeling pretty euphoric at the moment, not sure if it is fasting or the dr. visit causing that feeling, either way, I’ll take it.:rofl:

edited to add:
Anyone who says older women can’t lose weight is just lying to themselves.

(Mark Rhodes) #146

I was but I found myself always hungry. I am an mechanical engineer but find myself on the factory floor more than my office and then go home walk my dogs a couple miles, work on my hobby farm and lift weights. Last weeks podcast talked about nitrogen balance so I have to find out more about this and possible testing. From the last month you can see protein spikes do little to affect my BHB so I do not believe I am doing any excessive gluconeogenesis and thwarting myself with the exception around October 9 where I was easily eating 3 g per LBM. You can also see fasting days.

As my last Dexascan showed that there was a minimal loss of LBM I thought maybe a little more but now I am going to do that IF EF schedule and on lifting days which coincide with Feasting days I am going to go back to EAA, BCAA and glutamine supplementation.

If I don’t get the results I want after 21 more days I, like you, have read a lot lately of breaking a stall with carbs which also falls in around Thanksgiving. Huh. Now there’s a thought. Scary but it does dovetail nicely.

(Mark Rhodes) #147

Yep. Also try the Nitro brews at your coffee shop. Love these when fasting as the coffee tastes creamy.

I suppose I developed a taste for BAD coffee during my first few years in AA. Make the coffee, drink the coffee. Buy a 5 lb can and let it sit for months drying out and then “brew” it through some old clunker of a 36 cup church basement coffee pot…

(Liz ) #148

Interesting! You are WAY more active than me lol. It’s so great you have the data to track.

I cannot add carbs, nor would I ever. I have a carb addiction and simply cannot go down that path. But I will EF more often, longer, to try to continue driving down my basal insulin. I hope you find the key for you.

Fantastic report! I need to plan my next EF, I think it’s the only way I’m going to make further progress.

(Liz ) #149

Oh yes! I love Nitro but not the $5 a cup they charge for it around here :scream: LOL your bad coffee habit, I keep hoping if I buy snobbier and snobbier grinds I’ll eventually like it black, maybe I’m going in the wrong direction?? :rofl:

So far so good today. I have eaten nothing, wife had some deviled eggs. Tonight will be stuffed bell peppers, i.e., stuffed with a little pork sausage & cream cheese. My purpose in doing this week is encouragement for the wife.

Warrior fast today. I sent the wife to work with some cream cheese / salami snacks. There’s a potential dirty joke in there somewhere if you work it out, but you should probably just skip it. Tonight to break my fast I think I am going to do bacon wrapped drumsticks, because why not?

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #152

@collaroygalI I am so sorry for your loss :pensive:.

The silver lining is you and your sisters are on a healthy path. My siblings and I are like your sisters, fighting our genes.

Catching up on IF Thread since this is what came to me naturally. Day 3 on 22/2, Coffee + HWC and Butter 7:30 and 12:30. Working out quite well to have dinner with family.

Learning from the other posts. Thank you all. Not intentionally double posting, but I stumbled upon Zorn Fast first.

Warrior fast. The wife has decided that a whole week of fat fast is to intense for her, and that’s fine. She did two days (M-T) and will try one more day tomorrow.

(Mark Rhodes) #154

Still that is great. My wife decided to join me in my fast this week ( 5 days black coffee and water). We are in 68th hour. She texted me telling me she was sleepy and hungry. I suggested some fats but also told her that she has achieved the levels of autophagey and a good amount of the GH and if she wasn’t going to go much longer than 72 and if the butter does not satisfy then by all means she should eat!

She has listened to the insulin 2KD podcast and the latest Obesity code podcast and is beginning to understand how her timing of snacks disrupts her progress and how fasting also helps reset the hunger cues.

I am all about being supportive at this point. The wife’s conversion to Keto is nothing short of amazing. In fact, she is in the process of writing a keto-themed song based on “I’m a Believer” by the Monkees.

(Doug) #156

o/~ I saw her slimmed-down face, now I’m a believer… o/~

Something like that. :grinning:

(Donna ) #158

I had to get blood work drawn Wednesday morning for my yearly physical. So, I ended a 71 hour fast on Sunday night so I could start ‘studying’ for my lab tests. Hah. I did the ‘eat high fat’ thing through Tuesday night. Had the blood drawn Wednesday morning. Been fasting since Tuesday night and I’m going to go as long as I can.

My doctor’s appointment is next Wednesday, Nov 1. I really want to drop a few more pounds, if I can.

I’m curious to see my cholesterol numbers. I’ve been LCHF for over 4 years, and my cholesterol remained high. My Triglycerides were low, but my LDL was always really high and my HDL never went up like it was supposed to on LC. I’ve been Keto and IF/EF since Oct 2. Wish I’d discovered IF/EF earlier, but just glad that I discovered it at all.

Down 14 lbs since Oct 2. Woot woot! Excited and energized to have found the missing link in my low carb lifestyle. I’m 48 years old, but I feel like a younger woman, now.

I’ve convinced my 51 yr old husband to go clean LC and do a 6 hour eating window after he got back some bad lab results at his yearly. (Why would his doctor say 'you have slightly decreased kidney function. I’ll see you in a year. ?!?!?) But, at least my shock over his labs was enough to mobilize him. He’s lost 14 lbs in two weeks! (I’m kinda cranky over this, as I’ve worked MUCH harder at it. The 14 lbs. came so easy to him! Oh, well. LOL) I’m pleasantly surprised my husband is actually doing it, this time. But, very thankful.

Maybe we can be two younger and healthier people together. :slight_smile:

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #159

Hi, @PugsDigMusic! So good to read your post. We are about the same age, I’ll be 47 on the 28th. I also started this WOE October 2.

I wish I had weighed before I started, but was scared. I weighed on the 7th after ketosis was achieved instead. 123lbs, 4’11”, prediabetic. I hope to lose some weight before I get my check-up.

So happy to find this thread. The people here have been super supportive!

I may not have the wisdom yet, but I am definitely a good cheerleader! Cheering you on!

(Liz ) #160

@PugsDigMusic I’m 48 too! My 53 year old husband is slowly lowering his carbs as the years go on, gives me great comfort as I want to live a long healthy life with him! I’ve been low carb since 2003 but I had to go full Keto (since March) to really reap the benefits, so I hear you there too.

@Annapet So glad Keto is working for you, welcome to this WOE!