Rockin' October

Great job of explaining the incretin mimetics, and I would have to look into it more myself to really retain that type of information. Just the way my brain works…slow and steady!

As for the potential side effects, yes, I would want to know a lot more about that before giving it a try. Your body has had a lot of “treatments” and giving yourself the best care is essential.

The problem with amylin is curious and as you say, if the BG began to come down more rapidly/consistently with these GLP-1 drugs, then you would know you’re onto something. Again, another hormone that cannot really be measured with accuracy. At least not yet. I think they are just so fleeting in their presence/dissipation that hormones present more of a problem with the current methods or standard methods of measurement?

It will be a good blog, more info regarding keto and your n=1 experiments, queries. It will certainly help to educate more people and that is what we need.

The dairy. Hmmm. I had some steak tips at a restaurant tonight, paid too much and got only about 4 oz of meat. They had smothered them in some sweet teriyaki sauce too, so I had to segregate them and ask for melted butter. Then I bought some cheddar at the grocery and munched on that in my B&B room! :wink:
Dairy…the go-to high fat, moderate protein food of my choice!

Hey y’all – I’ve been off the forums for a week and it feels like a year!

I have a houseful of family who had to evacuate the Northern California fires. Thank goodness their house is still standing, we are so grateful. No idea when they can go home.

But… I’ve managed to stay keto even while cooking with and for them and despite so much worry. I even naturally IFed all week. I think fasting really helps when you’re under extreme stress.

Hoping to Zornfast this month, but I won’t do it if my family is still here when it starts. They have enough to worry about without them trying to make me eat!

Another warrior fast today. Tomorrow I will be off work and out and about, so I will probably eat normally.

(KCKO, KCFO) #124

Glad your family is safe with you.

Glad you also kept ketoed on through all the stress, etc.

(Donna ) #125

Two weeks IF/EF and I’ve lost 13 lbs. Woot woot!!! :sunglasses:

To celebrate, I bought myself a pair of winter ankle boots. (I hardly ever buy shoes.)

I figured with all the money I’m NOT spending on food, I deserved a pair of $40 shoes. LOL

(Doug) #126

This morning was the start of the 5th day of my current fast. 5 days is the longest I’ve gone before, and felt a bit weak/sluggish early today. Now it’s afternoon, did quite a bit of work through the day, and feeling good. Should be no problem continuing.

Only a few transient surges of hunger, surely with a large mental component - triggered by reading a description of a meal being made in a novel, and seeing pictures of food on this forum. Been hitting the pink salt a couple times a day, and a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar plus a splash of magnesium citrate, mixed in a cup of water. No real rhyme or reason here - it’s just something to do and I’ve got the stuff handy.

On this fast, overall there has been a positive sense of mental alertness, and a slight “thrumming” feeling, like my inner workings/metabolism are revved-up somewhat. Checked my heartbeat, and dead on a nice, even 72 beats per minute, which is probably lower than normal for me. Over the years, with weight gain, the heart rate and blood pressure went up.

Likely around 12 fasts for me of 3 days or longer, and they definitely get easier with practice.

Wanted to Zornfast, but too much going on. Heading back to the fire zone tomorrow with family after the evac orders were lifted today.

But I’ve been naturally IFiing all week and found I lost a few pounds in the process, so all good.

I’m going to keep IFing for the next week or so until life settles back down. Then I hope to join those of you who are extended fasting!!

Back to a warrior fast today. I feel better on my warrior fast days than I do on my “normal” eating days.

The week was kind of a wash, I managed a warrior fast on 3 days. Next week the wife and I are doing a “fat fast” for five days, we will see how it goes.

I broke the fast last night with the tofu shirataki noodles. Imo they are pretty good so long as you rinse thoroughly, dry fry and bake. Yesterday was with shrimp and pesto, I’ve also made them with red sauce and meatballs, and another time with tuna and cheddar + cream cheese. All versions were rated PG (pretty good).

(Liz ) #130

How many daily calories do you plan to eat on your fat fast?

(VLC.MD) #131

And what fat sources ?

And what is the goal of the fat fast ? Weight loss ?

I think fat fasting could be a neat tool. Would like to hear about what it does and doesn’t do, and its tolerability etc.

Start a fat fast thread and tell what you Ate and the results !

It’s supposed to be 1200 per day, we will see how we do.

(Donna ) #133

This week was weird/stressful because I drove my 17 yr old son to a college visit. We did a lot of walking (but not in my tennis shoes, so now I have weird shin splints, not on the fronts of my lower legs, but on the outside quadrant) and it was a lot of driving, so I was tired by the end. Glad to have IF, so food wasn’t a problem.

I’m bummed today because a friend (she’s about 53 yrs old) confided in me last night that she has put on 12 lbs just this past month because of binge eating in the wee hours of the night. (And, she learned that she was diabetic just a year ago.) She knows I’m losing weight, so she asks me about what I’ve been doing. I start telling her about Low Carb and how ketosis would help stop cravings.

But, she comes back with her mother has a masters in nutrition and ketosis is NOT a healthy state, I’m burning muscle and doing damage to my body, and you HAVE to have ‘healthy grains and fruits’ in your diet, and I’m doomed to gain my weight back because low carb isn’t sustainable, yada yada yada.

It makes me sad. Because, I know she won’t get better because of this belief. I’m not going to try to talk to her about low carb anymore. She’s not going to go against what her mother ‘knows’ to be true, with her degree in nutrition.

People can be sincere. They can also be sincerely wrong. :frowning:

Anyway, I’m just sad for my friend.

(KCKO, KCFO) #134

So sad but true.

Her mom never learned to tell the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis.
You might just share this with her in one last attempt to assist her.

(VLC.MD) #135

assumption

People with a Masters Degree in Nutrition quote their degree alot, moreso than any other profession. Insecure little bunch.

You’re good.

As an attorney, I can attest that lawyers are pretty insecure too. That’s why we act like a$$hole$.

(Liz ) #137

Oof, painful. I feel for you

(Liz ) #138

So as some of you know in an attempt to get closer to water fasting during my ostensible IF I am trying to eliminate using heavy cream in my morning coffee. I’m also trying to reduce dependence & see if my weight loss stall will budge if I eliminate cream from my diet, and later cheese. Just to see if dairy is an issue.

But first I want to figure out if I’ve been sabotaging my “IF” by having so much cream in the morning that I’m effectively not IFing at all! And prepare myself for calorie-free EFs down the road.

In today’s black coffee my training wheels are: 1 tsp MCT oil, salt, cinnamon, water to weaken coffee bitterness. I got the coffee to be unbitter. Do I like it? It’s ok. Why am I drinking coffee like this if I only enjoy it with loads of cream? CAFFEINE. I love caffeine.

Hahaha, this is too funny! I too love my coffee with cream, but drink it black unless it is during my “feeding window”. Do I like it? Not so much. Is the caffeine a factor…I think it really isn’t. I believe its more of a psychological issue. I went caffeine free (decaf) fro about a month or two and it seemed no different. I’m back to the caffeinated because its usually readily available and comes in more flavors!

Best wishes with your experiment regarding cream/cheese reduction or elimination!

(Liz ) #140

Thank you! I’ve been, variously, in my life dairy-free, caffeine-free for long stretches. I know I could do it again though for me caffeine withdrawal means a three day headache. But for now I’ll just start with cream.

That’s funny you don’t have a big caffeine reaction either way!