Rockin' October

This is your new intermittent fasting thread for October. Carry on.

Does cream in my coffee confound a fast?
Sizzlin' September
(Doug) #2

Autumn - my favorite time of year. One meal a day so far this month, baked chicken on the first, pork rinds yesterday, and today was egg drop soup, shrimp, and broccoli with butter. Trying to settle in for the long haul with ketogenic eating - some days are better than others.

(Liz ) #3

Hello fasting friends! It’s sort of fall-like here in New England so I made stock from the carcass of the chicken I roasted Sunday night. I added lots of fats to the soup I ended up making and it was good!

I have been doing a lot of 20:4 lately. My weight has been bouncing around the same number for a few weeks. Though it’s the least I’ve weighed in decades, I’m thinking of tweaking things to get the scale edging downwards again.
So 1) I need to use less HWC in the mornings for it to be truly IFing, in my opinion. I’m pretty sure I’ve been too free with the cream in my coffee! Whee! Oh dear lol :smile:

Also 2) I can’t seem to keep a good cap on my protein these days, might be fault of the delicious liverwurst I found at Whole Foods!!

And 3) I’d love to fall into another 3-day EF soon & see if it helps drive down my weight set point a bit so I can shave off more pounds. Still have probably 25 to go so I’m not that close that it should be going this slow 7 months in, but maybe my body knows what it’s doing? I still don’t trust that I do ha! But despite my impatience, I’m Keto for life so it’s not like I’m gonna give up!! KCKO :wink:

I think the dudes made a good point in their recent podcast, that it is an enjoyable way of eating, so go ahead and enjoy it! The best part is that even if you stall in weight loss, you are not gaining a lot of weight back, the way we usually do if we are doing restricted calorie diets. When combining periods of fasting with the feasting, things seem to even out. I am trying to crack that weight loss nut too, having been at the same weight for a few months now. Big picture though, things are getting better.

(Liz ) #5

That’s true. The Dudes stayed the same weight a long time but continued to improve in other ways. Thanks for the encouragement, glad things are going well for you despite the stall. I hope you find what works to get your scales moving downward again too. How much are you trying to lose?

@richard has experienced some more weight loss recently. IMHO, it is because his wife has joined him in the fasting. :slight_smile:

I am not exactly sure how much weight to lose. In theory I could probably lose 110 more pounds. It is hard to imagine being at that weight though (one of those insurance chart numbers). The scale says I am about 50% body fat, so a lot of that could go, and maybe I could get there. But I have always figured once I get down to my high school weight or so, I will be able to tell if I ought to go on to lose 30 more pounds. (I have less internal organs now than I did in high school, how much weight does that account for? JK) My high school weight is still about 80 pounds away or thereabouts. In that sense, I am halfway there because I’ve lost 80 pounds or so since the most I ever weighed. Only 20-25 pounds of that has been since really going keto/IF/EF though (I should probably try to nail that number down). I truly have to find a way to get things going. Maybe Victoza will give me a boost. If not, I just have to settle in for the long haul, because good things are happening in so many ways, eventually it will take care of the diabetes and with it the weight.

(Liz ) #7

Thanks for the reply! I hope you do find what works. The blood sugars seem to add a level of complexity that makes it even more of a puzzle. That’s great you’ve made such amazing progress so far!

I don’t really know what I want to weigh either. I picked a number that seemed like a dream & I’m going for it. If I achieve it I will be 110lbs down from my highest weight. If it’s too thin I know how to bulk back up lol.

Ha! I’m still catching up on the podcast so SPOILER ALERT! That’s great though, I look forward to hearing Richard talk about his weight trending down again.

I haven’t been to a Dr. I’ve been mostly low carb since 2003 when I went on Atkins. But at the start of this year my older sister was diagnosed with T2D & I FREAKED OUT & went Keto. I knew I couldn’t tolerate carbs/had an addiction, but until I realized that could be me getting T2D next, I was just sort of floundering around in fantasy Paleo land (addicted to honey/maple syrup, fruit). I don’t know my glucose or anything, but from my Keto results I can tell I’m healing everything that was screwy, including a lot of stuff I didn’t even know was related, like acne. The weight loss is just for my vanity lol, oh well! I admit it!!

I hope that if you try the new med, it helps.

I did warrior fasts the past 2 days, will continue through the rest of the work week. I would note that I lost weight much faster when I did the three 36 hour fasts per week vs the 5 warrior fast days.

Some days are so keto balanced and other days I am on a cheese craze, yikes!

One meal a day in October for me too, thus far.

Trying to keep to a 20:4 IF schedule as well…maybe get a few EFs in this month? It’s hard in the cool weather, I feel like I want more food. Not sure if this is just psychological/physiological or more likely some of both.

Oops sorry! Don’t worry there is way more to that episode that you won’t want to miss.

How is your sister doing with the T2D? Did she go keto too? It is a pretty freaky thing, especially with the party line being that it is irreversible. Soooo many people have turned their insulin resistance around with keto and/or fasting. I have had a taste of it… I want the total reversal.

I would be interested in whether the weight loss was lasting in both cases. (if that makes sense)

So far, yes. The 20/4 fasting is really acting more like a maintenance phase.

(Liz ) #13

I am not close with my sister, friendship-wise or geographically, but we are having a sort of reconnecting & thawing of a broken relationship, through texts, & I want very much for her to succeed in controlling her T2D.

The first thing I said to her was “Don’t go on one of those stupid low fat diets!” And she said “Oh I won’t.” And she seemed to understand counting carbs was key. She lost like, 40 pounds in the same timespan it took me to lose 30 & got her sugars down, so I know she’s doing something right. She’s like 5’2" and I’m 5’8", we’re 7 years apart so she’s 55. I haven’t seen her in years so I’ve no idea how much she weighed. I just know she was diagnosed because she went to the Dr for something else & they ran her blood sugars & they were 300. She had no clue.

It seemed in the beginning it was all a lot to deal with for her, of course, & I didn’t want to overwhelm her & she was already having low carb success so I didn’t interfere. When it feels comfortable I’ll find out how it’s going, if she’s still progressing. If she’s frustrated I’ll explain Keto & send her The Obesity Code and the fasting book. She’s determined not to be on meds for life.

I didn’t mention here our 87 yo dad with congestive heart failure I now see is tragically connected. Hopefully we can all (there are 2 more siblings) avoid the same fate.

Lol no worries OF COURSE!! I love the 2KD podcasts & listen while I make things in my studio. I’m just trying not to run out too fast!!

(Liz ) #14

This is interesting! Makes me more determined to step up my extended fasting game.

(Jeff Davis) #15

56 hours fasted, will break this evening at 65 or so. Good reset to start the month.

(KCKO, KCFO) #16

I think it is great you can reconnect over your healthy lifestyle. One of my sisters has decided to try IFing. She was never big on breakfast anyway but when she eats it she likes bagels. She has not mentioned losing any weight yet, but she was interested in what I was doing to lose. I don’t push her at all. The other sister has been losing slowly by just cutting out sugary stuff. She is almost to her goal. She is taller than either of us, she is border line diabetic, with her lack of sugary snacks, she has got her numbers where her dr. is happy. No meds, just cutting back. She does do more walking/hiking than she used to but not really into exercise.

We were all together yesterday, our mom passed away. We were cleaning out her room at the nursing home, and I realized we are all back to normal weights, and we all had gotten there on our own path. They are my half sisters, so we don’t have matching dna, but letting go of carbs in someway has helped us all. Their father died of diabetic complications. And he was younger than they are now. So they are fighting their genes.

(KCKO, KCFO) #17

Megan Ramos does stress mixing it up while trying to lose is a good way to go. I have just started not planning how long to fast and let my body and mental state direct me. I do all levels of IFing now. And still do some 36-48 hrs fasts when I can go that long. It is almost like I am just along for the ride, as long as it feels good.

(Mark Rhodes) #18

This is a fun thread and I am thrilled for everyone else and hearing their stories!!

I came into October from a 4.5 day fast. feasted on Brisket, fasted 36 hours, feasted 36 and since Oct 1, 4 days now, have done 21-3 IF. My weight is 7lbs less than when I started in September and the IF is not allowing any gain and 1/3 pound drop everyday which is exactly what I figure my maximum fat loss per day can be. I chose this schedule in advance wanting to increase GH & autophagy from the EF and with healthier material tap into fat stores. My meals have been really good, slightly more protein than I might need but I do have a 'taste" for that much about a 1.2 to 1 ration LBM. When festing I get almost the same amount of calories as if I ate throughout the day. For me this has been a win so far. ( if your interested, July 12th 203.9 53 yr old male @ 20.4BF, currently 197.1 &?BF…I am thinking 17.5%)

I am excited because the 10th of this month I go in for my 12 week Dexa Scan update! news at 11.

Thanks for bringing this up. That podcast made me realize that most of my life I was ALWAYS either gaining or losing, never just maintaining.

So now I see a long plateau or stall as just maintenance practice.

Finished Day Two of modified egg fast today. It was really easy! Egg fasting is edging closer to fasting lately (I just don’t eat very much) and I tend to not fuss over the food at all. Best thing today was two soft boiled eggs with dinner.

I’ll stay on the plan till tomorrow’s dinner, when I want to eat up my leftover keto potstickers. Unless I decide to freeze them and eat eggs instead lol.