Rockin' October

(Mark Rhodes) #81

Darcy: So I inquired:
Thanks for your question. Our Garlic and Sesame oil’s are soybean oil based. We hope this help you next time you head to HuHot!

Thanks,

Will Windham
Marketing Manager
HuHot Mongolian Grill

(Mark Rhodes) #82

Liz- thank you. What follows is a long winded game plan that should be posted in accountability!

What I did was review my tracking information which got shoddy through September. What I did see was an increase in mainly protein and possibly some carb creep over my last quarter. Breakfast was usually HWC ( alot).

155 is about 2.1 g per LBM. I have proven to myself the first couple months of keto that holding almost 40 TOTAL CHO was fine as my ketones did not drop during my initial phase. Could have changed but consider my chart does not do net carbs and I do not wish to play with too many variables as I try to dial down to stronger success.

The end of July was my first 48 hour fast. Mid August was my first 72 plus fast. Now as I dial down I have finally removed HWC in coffee so I am doing a 21:3 IF but eating usually in an hour window about 2100 or more. Yesterday was pan seared pork shoulder with habanero peppers and thick mexican cream, with riced cauliflower, brie, butter and cream along with some garlic, ginger, korma curry spice.

I also over the last two weeks developed a stronger affinity for xylitol feeling like I MUST HAVE sweet almond butter and kerrygold treat before bed. Not this week. No xylitol.

All of this is pushing my scale weight down .3, .5 everyday since Monday morning. The upcoming weekend I have a Yoga retreat on Saturday and I will feast. My yogi loves steak so it will not be the typical Yoga day of HCLF, quite the opposite. Sunday I will again have HWC in coffee, feast during My Packers game and likely again in the evening. I will IF again all next week. By the 23rd of October I should be ready for an extended fast of 4 or 5 days bringing me up to Halloween.
Currently Averaging (5 days) 90 mg/Dl BG, .5 BHB and 41brACA

If my weight goes under 195 and stays there during the first week of November with no fasting other than natural just not eating, I may go right back in for another scan and see just what it was that I lost so I know with some level of clarity that I am attacking fat stores and not glycogen and LBM using Richard’s premise that I personally can only use about 1/3 of body fat a day. FAILING all of that, why I will go back and tinker some more. Succeeding all that I will have a solid coaching plan coming into the holidays.

(Mark Rhodes) #83

Darcy- Thank you for such a thoughtful response! I really am excited for you! I will explore all these links. I have to admit I am terrible at watching YouTube videos. I am strange that way. I have an easier time reading the dense stuff. I suffered in school listening to lectures but always read the info prior. I developed strong reading skills along with great comprehension. I have been working to catch up on the wealth of youTube lectures available.

My wife leans towards vegetarianism. She doesn’t like the texture of meat. Indian Paneer a type of solid cottage cheese that pan fries wonderfully is pretty good but slightly elevated in carbs It looks like tofu but not slippery or slimy. .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paneer

Everyone has different styles. I try to keep my WOE simple so I can stay on it with minimal effort. It’s essentially carbs <20g for the indefinite future with a fair amount of 20/4 IF. I did order the Ketonix (received yesterday), mostly to encourage the wife because I believe she has a harder time getting into and staying in ketosis than I do. (She has PCOS).

Today is a warrior fast, tonight is a mighty meat meal.

That’s great information, thanks for inquiring! I had thought maybe canola, but soy is the most common vegetable oil used worldwide, according to the Shanahan book Deep Nutrition, which you would probably like reading by the way – very densely packed, I am having a hard time making way through it and I’m a pretty good reader. She mentions a study where they fed rats either fresh soy oil or soy oil that had been used to make multiple batches of french fries. The used soy oil (oxidized) cause damage to the rats’ immune systems. It’s a rat study, but only one piece among many about the harm of vegetable oil, at least when it’s exposed to high heat. It would be cool if HuHot would switch to coconut oil. In the meantime, we can all make our own HuHot at home with healthy ingredients.

(KCKO, KCFO) #86

Fuckmedead! I was thinking of going to one of these that just opened up near us to break my current fast. Guess I will have to some up with something else. I don’t do soybean oil. And it if is sesame oil why would they need to add soybean oil, course that soybean oil is cheaper.

(Mark Rhodes) #87

Ordered. I see she has one other book.

Yep. Can you even buy straight-up sesame oil in bottles? I think they might all be something else flavored with sesame.

I am drinking exogenous ketones that I had a sample of. I need to clear this brain fog. I just tested at 0.1 ketones, no surprise, because my bg got up to 301 last night and today woke up at 286 (the weird thing is how it is lower in the morning lately even though the numbers are so elevated - typically my waking bg is the highest of the day, but not this week). I am not at all happy to see the sugar climb. Looking at what I’m eating, don’t think it’s the what but the when and how often that is messing me up. It could be the what though because yesterday and today I had curry for breakfast, and was hungry after. At this point I would normally proclaim a fast until I got my bg to a more reasonable place. But I don’t want to do so now that I’m in this class, unless I check with the doc first. I have an appt next Thursday, so if she doesn’t reply to my message in between, I will find out then what to do.

So far, only IF this month for me. Still haven’t been able to get in an extended fast. But I’m trying for one now…

With family issues, court hearing, driving ridiculous miles, spending more than I’d like and feeling completely overwhelmed/exhausted and ready to crumple into a heap; all of this equals stress-eating for me! Ugh.

Anyway, finally, a fast that will give me at least 40 hrs. It’s been about a month since anything longer than 24 hrs for me. I checked my BG this evening and it was 82, and blood ketones at a measly 0.7

Hoping this gives me a boost mentally too.

Here’s to all you keto, fasting fiends of October!

Awesome, enjoy! I am doing about the same or that is the plan. I must seem so fickle, my plan was to wait til I hear from my doc since I started her classes last week, before doing any fasting. But today I went from so hungry after breakfast to feeling sick to my stomach after lunch, with my bg in the 280s all day. So, I have proclaimed a fast. I will be out of town tomorrow anyway. It’s less hassle than figuring out food to bring.

(Hillary ) #92

For all of you who eat one meal a day, I have a question. When do you eat? Monday through Thursday I only eat supper. Because of my work schedule, I literally go to bed right after I eat. I’m wondering of it would be better for me to have my meal at lunch. The problem is that when I start eating, I don’t want to stop. I know it’s a mind thing but this is why I wait until the end of the day to break my fast. Anyone else deal with this issue or have any advice?

(Damon Chance) #93

I’m pretty sure in either “The Obesity Code”, or “Complete Guide to Fasting” Dr Fung cited a study that indicated that we are more insulin sensitive earlier in the afternoon. So he recommended a bigger meal towards the middle of the day and if you eat 2 times the later meal would be smallest. Given that info it would seem if it fit your schedule that doing your OMAD meal at lunch would be better. I have a harder time with fasting in the evenings because I usually prepare our family’s meals and the kids are not keto so its better for me to eat then. I think the differences are probably not huge and if you aren’t having issues now I would keep doing what you are doing… especially since like me that first meal seems to trigger a desire for more meals for you.

(Donna ) #94

Hi, All

I’m new here and to IF, but rockin’ October and want to join in on this like-minded support group of IF people. SO glad I found you guys!

I was already LC, with cheats of popcorn and 3 glasses of wine most nights. (It was a rough and stressful year, I gained 20 lbs following the great flood of 2016 in Louisiana.)

So, after hitting my max weight on Monday, I started back VLC with renewed resolve and found Dr. Fung, who I’d never heard of before.

October 2 193.8 lbs.
October 12 183.2 lbs (-10.6 lbs.)

My goal weight is to get somewhere in the 160’s.

I’ve been doing 19:5 with a couple of EF’s of 43 and 45 hours since Oct 3.

Today I’m on 19:5, ended EF of 45 hours yesterday and trying to get some LC calories and good fats in today. I’m planning on eating some unbreaded hot wings with my husband later today, getting some good chicken skin fat into my system.

I had some homemade Mexican chicken soup yesterday evening to break my fast, and a spoon of coconut oil and some red skin peanuts. I didn’t feel like eating more, my eating window was closing and I opted to just go to bed early, because I was exhausted, and sleep through to this morning. So, now I’m back on 19:5 and waiting for 1:30pm to roll around so I can really apply myself to a hearty LCHF meal.

I’m feeling tired and not energized like after my first 43 hour EF. Maybe I didn’t spend enough time refeeding between EF’s. It was basically two hours of LC eating (because I had a ladies social to attend) and then back to EF.

Maybe I need a few days of 19:5 and good LCHF meals before I get back into another EF.

I have my yearly physical on Nov 1, and I’m determined to have great scale numbers. Bloodwork will be drawn on Oct 25th, so I am trying to get in some EF’s so I can have improved cholesterol numbers. I was LC for 4 years, but my cholesterol numbers never got really awesome like I would have expected. They didn’t do what they were supposed to on LC. (I’m hypothryoid.)

Anywhoo, looking forward to Rockin’ October with you all! :smiley:

(Doug) #95

Welcome, Donna. :slightly_smiling_face: Pugs :heart::heart:

I’ve felt different on fasts, and never truly “great,” but I’m sold on the ketogenic principle and it’s by fasting that I’ve really lost weight.

Haven’t been able to totally give up popcorn here. :wink:

(Damon Chance) #96

Donna, make sure you aren’t doing an EF leading up to the lab work or you may be in for a surprise. The more fat we are burning the more is in our bloodstream and you will see that in your blood work as elevated Cholesterol and LDL. This usually freaks doctors out as they don’t understand LCHF diets and the only frame of mind they have is carb-burning metabolisms.

There is some more info at this website:

(Hillary ) #97

It’s working but I read and have heard that it’s better to switch up your eating routine and to keep your body guessing. By the time I get off from work I am so ready to eat that I’m irritable. Plus, I’m tired of my coworkers thinking that I’m starving myself because they never see me eat. Maybe I’m getting bored and want to try something different. I don’t know…

(KCKO, KCFO) #98

I had been fasting broke it at dinner last night, 40 hrs., had planned 36 hr. one but wasn’t hungry at lunch time so skipped it.

Now I have to decide what to do with the weekend. I have a blood draw on Monday. I’m thinking I will continue to eat up to the pre draw 12 hr fasting window starts. Lots of macadamias, so my body burns fat from food rather than body fat, then do another 36 hr. before I go in for the actual dr. visit so my weight is lower.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Welcome to PugsDigMusic.

(Donna ) #99

Thanks, Damon! I’m definitely going to follow this guy’s instructions so I can ‘biohack’ my lab results. My doctor has been tolerant of my LCHF, but last year she made me get a Calcium Heart Scan, ‘so she could justify not putting me on statins.’ I scored a ZERO. She left me alone. But I’d really like to see better cholesterol numbers for myself.

This is SO true! Easier and for me, safer to just fast when out/away. Otherwise I find that I am still tempted by sweets and cakes. I wonder why?

So, best wishes for your fast, I just broke mine this evening at about 46 hrs, so that’s a win. Using your time away for a fast should serve you well.

This is all so much to work through, even with the mantra of KCKO. I am amazed at your effort and also encouraged by your tenacity! Thanks for sharing your persistent efforts :smiley: