Rockin' October

(Liz ) #61

I know, so many question marks!! We are all just making our best educated guesses & trying to find sustainable solutions for this lifestyle.

(Liz ) #62

This three-ish day fast went well! Breaking it soon at 69 hours, not gonna lie, I’m ready!! Hoping I can keep some of the scale victories but we’ll see. I was really bouncing around the same number all month and I’d like to see it nudge downward again. At least I got to see it down during the fast. Of course I know the scale isn’t everything, but it’s certainly something :wink:

(James Taylor) #63

Awesome Liz!

(Liz ) #64

Thank you! :+1:

Ate “normally” yesterday, which means two meals. Warrior fast today, will break it around 5:30 at the catfish joint with wife.

(KCKO, KCFO) #66

Catfish isn’t available around here. If a place has it, it is prepared from frozen and deeply breaded. Love me some grilled catfish. Have some for me, since I can’t :disappointed_relieved:

Our local place does grilled / blackened. There are some really good lo carb sides available too.

(Liz ) #68

HWC update: so I used small amounts of Kerrygold, coconut oil, and a pinch of salt in my coffee during my last 69 hour fast, I was trying to break a dependency on heavy cream. That worked fine! My frother helped a lot, somewhat emulsifying the fats into the coffee.

The day after I broke my fast, the rebellious kid in me used like, a half cup of HWC over the many coffees I had that morning, SIGH. Whatever!

But after that one day of overcompensation I have moved back to the butter/oil/salt again and if I’m really whiny, a tiny splash of HWC for color. So this feels like a bit of a victory over my cream dependence!

And the scale seems pushed down about a pound after things settled out after the fast, though I don’t trust that will last, I’ve been burned so many times before by the scale. But I hope it is real. Regardless I shall KCKO.

BTW, after I break a fast I eat a LOT. I know some folks find their appetite diminished after fasting, I am apparently not one of those people lol! What’s been your experience? I’m still trying to guess what my metabolism wants. I still have trouble fully trusting my hunger/satiety signals.

Today is a warrior fast. I have to go to my second job after work, so I may not eat until late (i.e. 8:30 or 9:00 p.m.). Probably a “meat meal.”

i’m on day 3 of my very first fast which came about spontaneously and i feel great!
tomorrow i will break the fast at around 84 hours but after some lethargy yesterday i feel rather bionic today.

this has been a HUGELY educational process especially for someone like me who is addicted to food.
going Keto has helped give me the same tools that AA gave me when i quit drinking (due to cirrhosis) 2.5 years ago. Listening to my closest friend who is an amazing ketovangelist and to the Dude’s podcast has made this whole transition so logical and user friendly. I am beyond grateful (and 17lbs down in almost 5 weeks!)

I will probably return to an IF schedule as that seems to agree with my schedule and my innards.
But now I know that I can do a 3-4 day fast every now and then as part of this new and improved lifestyle. Good Stuff!

(KCKO, KCFO) #71

Started a 36 hr. fast last night, so 14 hrs. in on this one. Keeping pink salt nearby, had coffee with 1 Tbs. frothed HWC. I have found that coconut oil in coffee doesn’t always sit well on my tummy. So it is HWC this round. I made bone broth yesterday to have handy if I feel the need for it. I am out of macadamia nuts and won’t restock until after this fast. Using Richard’s calculator I decided that any additional fat needed will be HWC or some KG butter added to the broth. I am just wanting to get a tad further away from my goal weight, I was within one lb. this morning, I like to stay at least 3 lbs. under my goal weight. I honestly think maintaining is harder than losing the initial weight.

Have a great day everyone.

(Mark Rhodes) #72

Yep. I am disappointed but still overall KCKO. Leading up to the weekend I was IF ing after an EF of 4 days. But the weekend saw a day of 3x the amount of protein for 2 days and one day at 45 gram or more of carbs at the Mongolian Grill. As I am trying to just lose bodyfat while adding LBM here is what happened:

If I accept the Dexa is 100% accurate I could say my loss of LBM is due to glycogen as after the weekend I IF monday and Tuesday 21:3 and ate strict Keto. So that could push my BF down a little more.

So as a result of this I am going to continue to IF 21:3 Mon-Fri with good keto on weekends. Towards the end of the month I will go 4 days of feasting followed by an EF of 5 days if I can last as I do not know how IF prior will affect hunger.

My goal is to lose 5 more pounds of BF and get into the teens on percentages while maintaining or improving LBM.

Luckily for me my head is wired such that disappointments are to be overcome. If I fail in my head, I get up and do it again but differently, tweaking ( hacking). And I still made progress and the Dexa people told me I was in top 4% of men my age but I was too engrossed in MY numbers to ask 4% OF WHAT? 4% of clients here? 4% of nationwide statistics? HA! The only progress that counts is the one I set.
Finally as I told the wife: Heck 2lbs and I ate soooooo good. It is a win!

Monday night my husband and I went to our first official class in the program we signed up for with the functional medicine doctors. It turns out that this class kicked off some of the dietary changes involved with the program, and they equal more carbs already. One thing is the 3-times-a-day cranberry drink, which I believe is very similar to the Dude’s cocktail. It has a couple ounces of cranberry juice, 1/3 fresh lemon juice, 1/2 to 1 tsp. acv in 6 oz. water. It comes to about 4 g carbs per serving. (It tastes pretty good chilled with 10 drops of NOW stevia.) The program calls for 3 meals a day, with two servings of veg at each meal, although intermittent fasting with 2 meals a day was mentioned, I am going to ask for more info about this. Two meals a day is much more natural to me, at least most days unless I am up really early in the AM.

Food talk:

After the class Monday we had a “last hurrah” meal of Mongolian BBQ, one of our favorite things to eat out. I don’t like to go there much anymore though because I suspect all their sauces are vegetable-oil based and therefore are oxidizing on the grill. It also is hard to eat low-carb there (as a vegetarian especially). Yesterday I tried a smoothie for breakfast (but only drank half of it). It was homemade almond milk (the best kind!) with some almond butter, chia, pumpkin seeds, flax meal, frozen zucchini, avocado, MCT oil, 7 frozen strawberries, vanilla and stevia. That was probably not too high in carb. I had some cheesecurds later but didn’t officially have lunch. Supper was a vegetarian curry thrown together on the fly. It involved Gardein chicken strips (not breaded, not using the sauce that came with), Manns broccoli slaw, coconut oil and coconut cream, a few cashews, and Miracle rice along with some green curry paste. The paste was high in carbs. I divied this out into three meals, added goat cheese on top and this morning for breakfast I also added two scrambled eggs. I didn’t figure out carbs, but it was more than 12, which would be a limit Dr. Bernstein would have at one sitting. Oh I better mention we had our new favorite dessert after, which I’m sure blew up the carbs for the day – HWC topped with melted homemade peanut butter and Lily’s sf chocolate chips. Even though it’s no added sugar, there are some carbs in that, which on top of everything else, certainly not in a good keto range. I also have been feeling hungry after eating, so that has to mean too many carbs. Hard to believe not enough fat though, with all that coconut oil and cream.

By the time I went to bed last night my bg was at 277. It was 223 by this morning when I woke up.

The good thing is this has got me out of the rut of fathead pizza or soup until sick of eating them and I start fasting again. (That being said, we’re having fathead pizza tonight because the kids will eat it and they need something healthy too.) It had been a while since I cooked a curry-type meal, and it did hit the spot. I got some organic cabbage ($$!) to try making my own sauerkraut. I have never tried a homemade probiotic type but it sounds really good.

Even though being in the doctor’s program has me eating more carbs, it is still a matter of choice as to which carbs I will eat, and that makes a difference. Other participants are having rice, for instance, so compared to the “whole foods” approach, my husband and I are definitely on the low-carb end of the spectrum, even if not keto.

By the way, I have to start weaning off caffeine :disappointed_relieved: and artificial sweeteners. Stevia and erythritol (and xylitol though I avoid that) are ok.

(Mark Rhodes) #74

Darcy could you explain this a little better for me or link me to a site that could?

I think it is wonderful that you are expanding your horizons with this program and look forward to hearing updates. I have not read in the forum any other details of this adventure and I am curious what goals you hope to obtain from this class?

I have heard about the oxidization of vegetable oils from many sources. I probably started with Sarah the Healthy Home Economist, but most recently I’ve been reading Deep Nutrition by Catherine Shanahan, M.D. Her website:

http://drcate.com/deep-nutrition-why-your-genes-need-traditional-food/

As far as my current adventure, a couple of years ago, a pair of doctors I had seen to maintain pregnancy (I had needed to take progesterone to avoid a miscarriage) decided to expand their practice to functional medicine, and opened their own business. They are both M.D.'s but now they run a practice that, while specializing in women’s health, addresses the whole person’s health and includes men too. Often married couples sign up for the program together. The docs don’t accept insurance/insurance doesn’t accept them, which means this is out-of-pocket but it allows them freedom to practice in the way they feel is right. The upfront amount includes a 6-month “Wellness Program” curriculum (classes twice a month) as well as individual appointments throughout the 6 months and a “bank” that goes toward supplements. The foundation of four pillars of health includes detoxification, nutrition, fitness and hormones. Most people are coming into this from the SAD diet, so my husband and I are anomalies in our class, coming from keto and fasting.

I have done a bunch of lab work already, with more in progress. Already my doc has gone above and beyond to help me look into why my diabetes has not yet reversed (keto/fasting since April), but her approach is from the aspect of healing my whole body.

I feel a little like I could teach parts of this class based on all I’ve learned from the dudes and other podcasts, my own reading YouTube videos and articles by Dr. Fung, etc. However, this is coming at things from a different angle, focusing more on missing nutrients and gut health, so I have a lot to learn in that area. Clearly I have not figured it all out yet, because I am still struggling with my blood glucose and weight. The word “complex” has come up with my doc when describing my situation (which includes being a cancer survivor). I am very interested in empowering an individual to address their own health and healing, so always looking to learn more.

At first I was terrified at the idea of moving away from trying to stay in ketosis. However, it’s a temporary measure to detox and see if I have food allergies, or nutrient deficiencies that could be addressed through diet or supplements. One problem I’m having personally with the program taught in these classes is that they really push bone broth but as a vegetarian I can’t get myself to drink that. I struggle with getting enough protein.

There are lots of supplements. Everyone takes Omega-3, probiotics and D3. I take 3 times the omega and twice the d3, not sure about probiotics yet. I also have a LOT of other supplements to take and will soon be taking vitamin B shots (my choice, but I am eager to get some more energy and bypass any gut absorption issues). Some classes will focus on eliminating foods that could be allergens or causing inflammation, then adding them back in to see if anything shows up as a problem. (I am getting an allergy test done as well, because I am not planning to try eliminating dairy unless necessary, something we discussed because I would miss out on a lot of my protein sources if I let dairy go.) There will be a lot of info on building a healthy gut biome. We will have a grocery store tour and a resistance exercise class. Etc… I will keep you all posted.

Besides the above, my doc and I are debating if I should take a diabetes medication if it seems like my hormones aren’t working right in that area (like amylin not telling glucagon to stop telling my liver to make more glucose). I have been dying to get to the bottom of what is going on with me, and I feel like my husband and I have found someone willing to dig into this with us, so it is good. Longwinded answer to your short question… did I answer it?

(Liz ) #76

Love your attitude in the face of disappointment, I’m cheering you on in your renewed determination!

Holy crow I think we were both posting about eating Mongolian at the same time today! :slight_smile:

I know some people besides myself have mentioned Primal Edge Health recently, do you follow that YT channel at all? He seems like a good source of info for increasing LBM without a lot of fat to lose.

(Doug) #78

Yeah - as I recall, for those trying to stay away from “saturated fat,” in the presence of high heat, unsaturated oils become saturated. And now I can’t even remember if that’s the same as oxidization… :blush:

Watch out, when people read something on the internet, it becomes true!

Here’s what Deep Nutrition says about oxidation of vegetable oils. Half the book is about the wreckage vegetable oils have wrought on our genes etc.

Here is another article for you Mark:

Edited to add one more:
Dr. Fung

https://idmprogram.com/polyunsaturated-fats-hormonal-obesity-xxxviii/