Rockin' October

(KCKO, KCFO) #41

I use a very small amount of tomato paste and not regularly, it is a treat food. I use it mostly in the winter months, as we grow tomatoes in the summertime.

I also learned that the core part of the carrots are where most of the sugar is stored, so I use a peeler to get strands of carrots when i want a dash of color, again, such small amounts, I am not concerned about it.

I agree it is all about what you want to eat. I focus on what I can have, in what amounts rather than what I can’t have. Seriously the only things I miss are homemade sour dough bread and figs these days.

And you don’t have to censor your posts, If I can’t handle a word I don’t have to look at it :sunglasses:

(Doug) #42

Congratulations, Liz. :slightly_smiling_face:

Kudos, there too! Perfect.

(Mark Rhodes) #43

Happy Anniversary.

(Liz ) #44

Thanks! And thanks too, @OldDoug ! If we had a huge restaurant steak dinner event every month I’d be more game to try EF more frequently :smile:

(Edward) #45

While I don’t really consider it “fasting,” eating one meal per day has been working out exceedingly well for me. Have lost weight - 10 lbs. a month, then 9, now 8 for a couple months in a row. Three times I’ve gone down in pants size, and the OMAD deal is where I can really keep calm and keep on.

(James Taylor) #46

Let me know when you are doing your 3-day and I will do it with you. By the way, my wife is from Vermont.

(James Taylor) #47

Ourtown, do you make your own mayo? If so, how?

(Liz ) #48

Hooray New England!

As a matter of fact I started fasting after dinner last night! We went out for our anniversary & I really feasted on fatty ribeye so I figure that’s a good lead in. Getting this far is not a big deal for me as I often IF 20:4, but tonight it will be all about just riding it out until bedtime probably with several cups of herbal tea. I’m even making my husband a dinner!

My real issue I’m trying to overcome is a resistance to giving up heavy whipping cream in my morning coffee, even for a few days! Uh oh. Warning sign of addiction or at least dependence. So tomorrow morning I’ll be facing up to that. Wish me luck!!

(James Taylor) #49

I have the same problem even during that EF. Having troubles going to sleep on an empty stomach did not die down until like day 4. The first cup of black coffee in the morning always tastes really bitter to me. The 2nd cup tastes better! I used green tea several times as well!

You could try bulletproof, which is coffee with coconut oil and unsalted butter. I normally take it black, but I thought bulletproof was pretty good too.

No I get a 500 gallon jar at costco.

(Liz ) #52

Thank you, I’ve tried so many other things besides cream & so far nope. But I’m determined! I HATE being addicted or reliant on any one thing so I will definitely prevail, eventually.

@jtaylor1966 Interesting about the 2nd cup of coffee! Will experiment.

(Liz ) #53

Good morning! Kerrygold & coconut oil frothed in Sumatran French Roast. I’m definitely missing my HWC but this works fine. So that’s good!

Planning on fasting all day today as well, will break it tomorrow at dinner at about 69 hours. I’ll be busy both days with Open Studios so that helps! KCKO all

@LizinLowell more power to you, I really don’t like the taste of bulletproof coffee. To me it ruins the aroma and just doesn’t roll off the tongue the same as HWC. If I can’t have my coffee the way I like it, I just have no coffee at all. That’s why I substitute in Berocca for the caffeine dose during fasting.

@collaroygal, you reminded me that I made tomato soup for my hubby and myself one day by taking a can of no-sugar-added tomato sauce (it might have just been a tomato puree or paste, cuz most sauces have sugar added), mixed it with a little water and heavy whipping cream, salt, pepper and dried basil. It was delicious. I think it was 4 carbs or so per serving, so important to count that, but not nearly so bad as the Campbells Tomato Soup we used to always eat with our grilled cheese sandwiches. (I had also made sandwiches using a flatbread recipe from Primal Edge Health but I didn’t care for the bread at all, too eggy. Next time I will just fry the cheese and be happy with that.)

Oh yum, I saw some burssel sprouts in the produce section last night, I should get some.

I would call it intermittent fasting. You’ve got some great results, congrats!

I broke the 5-day fast last night. I saw my lowest blood glucose of the week two hours after dinner (it was 120), so either the insulin knocked it down or I have delayed gastric emptying and the glucose from the dinner food didn’t show up til this morning (bg 179).

@wi_engineer made a graph for me with data from the Fitibit Aria scale. It shows how my weight and body fat percentage changed during different phases of EF and IF the last couple of weeks.

(I only participated in two of the Zorn Fast days because we had a field trip and social engagement on the weekend.)

By doing the math, he determined that I did lose about 1/2 lb. of fat per day during the 5-day fast. So that’s good. However during the experiment of eating breakfast and lunch and skipping supper (I call it evening IF) I gained fat. I need to have him look back at when I was skipping breakfast (or only having coffee with HWC) and eating lunch and supper, to see if I was gaining the same amount of fat on those eating days.

My ketones were only at 0.3 at day 3 of the 5-day fast. By yesterday afternoon (day 5) they were 0.9.

Here’s what my blood glucose did during that time period. This includes all readings taken.

This shows just my morning readings were:

I made a post earlier this week with all my latest test results from my functional medicine doctor.

(KCKO, KCFO) #55

.5 lb is what Dr. Fung says is the average per day of fasting. Awesome charting, nice of wi_engineer to do that for you.

I finished my fast this week at 72 hrs. it is about the easiest fast I have done. I haven’t been great at the longer fasts, over 48 hrs. lately so it was nice to get my groove back. Since I am just fasting to maintain and get the healthy benefits, 72 or so is plenty long for me.

Someone above asked about homemade mayo, I have an excellent version, I do vary the amounts of avocado and extra olive oil from time to time, gets a different flavor profile. Here is the website I got it from, she uses an immersion blender, but you can also just put all but the oil into your food processor and slowly pour the oil through the feeder tube that has that tiny hole in the bottom. Works great either way.

That’s great! I had a pretty easy time of it the first few days. The last two days of the 5-day were the hardest, I started really feeling hunger, lost some energy, and had some dizzy spells. There are two reasons for me experiencing that, usually it is because my blood glucose dropped (which is a good thing), or I have not been keeping up on the pink salt often enough so my electrolytes drop. Not so good.

Thanks for sharing the mayo recipe link! I am still squeamish at the idea of raw eggs. Do you think there is a way to do it with heating (pasteurizing) the egg first? How do they do it with the store-bought mayo I wonder? I ordered some of the Primal Kitchen mayo to try, it’s coming in November with my subscribe and save order from Amazon. I really like the idea of being able to whip up my own mayo though. I am reading the book Deep Nutrition by Catherine Shanahan MD and she sees vegetable oils as much of a culprit in our food supply as sugar. I have eliminated a lot of processed food from our house, and recently started making our own peanut butter using MCT oil or coconut oil, but we still have store-bought mayo and salad dressing. It will be nice to make our own versions of those.

(KCKO, KCFO) #57

Dr. Shanahan is how I realized I need to start doing my own mayo etc. I think we go through it so quickly, it isn’t an issue at our house. But here is a way to pasteurize them at home if you feel better about doing that:

To pasteurize large eggs, place them in a saucepan filled with water and fitted with a digital thermometer. Turn on the heat and bring the water up to 140F. Keep the water temperature at 140F for 3 minutes (and no more than 142F), reducing the heat on the burner if necessary.

Or is you are into it you can do this to pasteurize them:

Pasteurized Eggs Sous Vide. Fill and preheat the container of water to 135F/57C. Mark the eggs to be pasteurized with a P or some other moniker with a water proof marker. Gently drop the eggs, in their shells (not vacuum sealed), into the water oven to cook for 2 hours.

Thanks. I have to try this. The peanut butter was unbelievably better made fresh, and I am sure the mayo will be as well.

(Liz ) #59

I will say I used a refined coconut oil so it wouldn’t have that coconut scent, I know refined CO is terrible but I didn’t have any MCT, it’s on my shopping list! Mainly the reason I’m not quitting coffee for the fast is to avoid caffeine withdrawal. I’d be just as happy drinking straight black tea but it makes me nauseated on an empty stomach unless I add gelatin, but gelatin is protein so.

I was drinking tea during my fasts (I love mint tea, which is really black tea with mint) but then Dr. Nally mentioned that tea causes an insulin response. But I’m sure the Berocca causes an insulin bump too, it has Ace-K that Dr. Nally also said causes an insulin response, plus there is maltodextrin in it (impossible to get a drink mix or tablet without maltodextrin, it seems) so it’s not ideal. (Would it be better just to have the coffee and cream?) If I get a caffeine withdrawal headache I have some Excedrin Tension Headache which has caffeine in it. I don’t know, maybe I should just pop NoDoz. :wink: There is also Diet Dr. Pepper - one of the sodas Dr. Nally says won’t raise insulin because it’s just aspartame for a sweetener, not the Ace-K. I might try an iced coffee with a smaller amount of cream to keep the calories down during a fast, but using flavored stevia or some erythritol and vanilla to make it taste better.

Edited to add: this is why we need home insulin testing, so we can see what is truly raising insulin!