Resistant starch - ie: Cooling potatoes to make them low carb

resistantstarch

(Richard Morris) #1

People see a “slight” but “significant” reduction in post meal blood glucose when they cool down starches (like potatoes, rice, pasta) after cooking .

There has been a lot of recent chatter about potato salad being therefore low carbohydrate - which I would love if it were so, because I love potato salad with mayo and bacon and some chopped chives.

Several things to note here tho. Potatoes are themselves significantly insulinogenic … behind only Jelly beans and a Mars bar on the Insulin index

(Sort the list by Insulin effect)

Any measurement of blood glucose after eating potatoes is not measuring the ACTUAL glucose delivered but the amount not sequestered by the insulin secreted. In other words measuring your response to potatoes with a retail glucometer is not really telling you how many carbohydrates you just ate.

Lowering glucose response by a small but significant amount does not negate the fact that you just ate a bunch of glucose, a small amount of which was in starches so folded up by the heat-cool-heat process that your enzymes couldn’t properly unpack them.

The rationale behind eating resistant starches is to feed the cells that line our gut - our enterocytes.

It is true that your gut prefers to get energy from 4 carbon fat molecules, and one source of those is butyrate made by gut bacteria from starches that you yourself could not digest (and therefore they make it to your large intestine). I’d add 2 extra points to that;

There are vegetables like Jerusalem Artichokes that have a fiber called inulin (I wrote insulin originally - thanks @fiorella) that humans can’t digest but out gut bacteria can … and turn into way more butyrate than they would from the small amount of resistant starch found in a potato or rice that had been cooled. They also serve a similar textural component to meals as potatoes … but be judicious. They aren’t called Farty-chokes around here for nothing.

The other thing is your gut is equally happy running on betahydroxybutyrate which is a ketone molecule that you naturally make when you eat very few carbs … so you can adequately fuel your gut cells from their blood supply rather than depending on your gut bacteria.

8pm on BBC tonight - The Truth About Carbs
Dr Jason Hawrelak claims that the KD risks extinction of key gut bacteria (butyrate producing bacteria)
Nina Teicholz on Vegetable Oils and the US Dietary Guidelines - The Untold Story
(Richard Morris) #2

BTW Peter on facebook asked me to clarify what I mean by a slight but insignificant effect … and I figured some here might also be curious … so

An insignificant effect is one that is below the imprecision of measurement. So if you repeat the experiment you could end up seeing no difference or a slight increase in glucose after making the starch “resistant” - because the tools used to measure it have an inbuilt imprecision.

A significant result is one in which the difference is greater than the error inherent in the measurement techniques. So no matter how many times you repeat the experiment you should always see a lowering of glucose.

In Australia a glucometer has to be within 20% of a lab test to be legal, but internally they are quite consistent and my Abbot precision neo has an accuracy of 3.8% above 5 mmol/l.

So let’s say you eat a hot potato and your glucose goes from 5 to 10, that’s a movement of 5 mmol/l a significant difference is a difference of 0.19 mmol/l.

So lets say you reset the experiment and eat one that has been cooled and it goes from 5 to 9.80 … then that would be a slight but significant result.

I think the fibre in the farty-chokes is called inulin…not insulin? You wrote insulin :wink:

I had some resistant starch today to see how it affects me. 2 hours post meal my blood glucose was 146. Usually 2 hours post meal I’m around 105. I also feel terrible. I haven’t had this kind of food in 12 mo since starting LCHF. Not worth it!

(Tina Emmons) #5

I was hoping to find some new info on RS since your 2016 podcast on supplements. I know the short answer here is, “whole, unprocessed foods are the way to go” buuuut…I have thouroughly enjoyed some of the baked “breads” from LC Foods which are made with resistant starches, grain isolates and inulin, which they claim to be pre-biotics and not digested in the stomach. I use them very infrequently and as a delivery system for all my fats. Besides the short answer, do you have any further knowledge or an opinion?

Leftover ham / bone
(Richard Morris) #6

I like Inulin, I get it from Jerusalem Artichokes. It is a starch made up of long chains of fructose that we can’t unpack. Our gut bacteria however can, and they make short chained batty acids from it that we absorb … so they are less carbohydrates to us and more like fats.

I don’t believe in the myth about cooking rice to make it’s starches resistant will change much more than about 2% of the rice … the remaining 98% will be high glycemic rice. Same for potato starch and green bananas. Those I wouldn’t go near.

There is another vegetable from South America called yacon which also is rich in inulin. It’s in the same plant family as both artichokes and Jer. artichokes/sunchokes. It’s also said by some to be gassy, yet others who love the stuff. Processed yacon syrup is also available.

It’s a fleshy root that holds lots of moisture. The taste is reported to be somewhere between melon and Asian pears, with a bit of celery thrown in. I was able to get ahold of some young plants and am growing it. The plants are still very small, but healthy. I won’t be able to harvest for a number of months however.

Regarding the resistant starch in potatoes, a number of months ago as a hopeful experiment (I love potatoes), I cooked and cooled some, made some potato salad… and ate it. Had my highest BS reading ever. It was under 200, but it was a real shocker. Never again.

(Richard Morris) #8

Sorry to hear that, but that would have been my expectation.

(Mitali) #9

Could it be physiological insulin response?

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

How did the yacon plants turn out? Did you measure your BS after eating them? It would be nice to find a potato replacement besides cauliflower.

Glad I found this thread, my DH thinks it is ok to eat potatoes if they are cooled and reheated. I was not too keen on him doing it.

Thanks for the info. here.

I really like the yacon, but more for the crunch and flavor. But it would make a very poor potato replacement - cauliflower is better. Yacon is just the wrong texture. I did try slicing and frying some, and it was not appealing to me at all. Fresh and raw is best IMO, and it didn’t especially raise my blood sugar, though IIRC I only tested it once.

As for potatoes, I don;'t think that cooling them afterwards has any significant affect. If he must eat potatoes, either new potatoes or what they call ‘salad’ potatoes would have less starch since they are intended for earlier season eating, not for long-term storage. In other words, the tubers have not had as much time to store the starch produced by the leaves over the months they are growing. That said however, even new potatoes have more starch than keto eaters really want to consume.

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

Yeah, he uses new potatoes, as what he likes is primarily potato salads. He doesn’t use the baking potatoes at all. In fact, I am more tempted by those than he is, I love a well baked potato with sour cream, butter and chives. But haven’t had one in almost two years now.