8pm on BBC tonight - The Truth About Carbs

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

From your mouth to God’s ear!

(Alec) #16

You mean Jason Fung? :joy::rofl:

I saw this one too and drew the same conclusions. The results were good but the extreme nature of the intervention suggests to me that these people won’t maintain - feels quite ‘yo-yo ish’, they kind of hit upon the right answer but used the wrong tool. I got the same 2 stone weight loss in the same time period as these people whilst eating 2000+ keto calories a day.

I also thought Roy’s claims to have ‘discovered’ the cause of T2 a little extravagant, and disagreed with his conclusion about it being due to a fatty pancreas. The more I think about that crash diet programme the more I realise it was just a mini televised version of his experimental trial - it didn’t actually have anything in addition or bring in wider views on obesity etc.

(Bella) #18

Having fallen badly off the wagon this week this documentary was what I needed to give me a well needed kick up the backside. So I am now sitting here with my greenT and lemon - preparing myself for the next 2/3 days of hell.

The show was interesting and I guess really useful for those people who are just starting to see the truth regarding the poison that is sugar. My family are sick of hearing me go on about it.

What REALLY scared the hell out of me, was the sugar cube thing, because I had a jacket potato for dinner:frowning:
Strangly, the women who said she loved jacket potatoes was skinny:thinking:
Who am I to say that these people won’t stick to the changes. The result were fantastic considering they didn’t go all out keto.

The most encouraging thing was to see doctors actually recommend the changes in diet rather than handing out medication.

(Bella) #19

Importan bit - BEFORE you cut out the carbs.
If I did this test I would have finished the whole packet along with half a pound of butter, and maybe some scrambled eggs… think I’m tripping:weary::anguished:

(Rob) #20

The resistant starch trope has been discussed here before…

Some dabble in it for the gut biome benefits but from a carb POV it doesn’t seem to be a significant reduction in intake.

(bulkbiker) #21

Doubt it … I met him at the PHC conference a couple of weeks ago and he seemed a bit non committal. He seems to jump from one thing to the next where he sees a book opportunity.

(Rob) #22

I agree he is a bit of a book whore… his current book is the Blood Sugar Diet that is basically the commercialization of Roy Taylor’s work… wouldn’t surprise me if Taylor gets a piece of the profits?

(bulkbiker) #23

Taylor wrote the intro so I’m pretty sure he gets something…
I think Taylor was glad of the publicity that Moseley brings.

(bulkbiker) #24

although wolves and sheep do come to mind I’m not a Moseley fan in case you hadn’t noticed).
He got a bit of a verbal mauling from someone I know at the conference which left him looking a bit shell shocked!

(Vijay Bhakta) #25

There was a bit around the 16:30 - 17:15 mark which he discussed that freezing bread turned the carbs from “easily digestible starched to resistant starches” and that it ends up “feeding your but bacteria and not you”.

I can take or leave most bread but do have a serious soft spot for the odd slice of sourdough every now and then. Read via google that freezing and toasting lowers the GI, but am unsure as to how it impacts the number of carbs in that slice (if at all). - Not understanding the science behind this at all

I had a slice this morning, not felt any different but it could just be that a slice now and then and keeping withing your daily carb limit is not going to show any problems anyway.

(Vijay Bhakta) #26

@Duncan_K might want to include the youtube link on the first post … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us8Art5EOFc

(Duncan Kerridge) #27

Done, cheers!

I thought it was pretty good, or a good start at least. They shied away from replacing carbs with fats, but as a primer for the regular population it might make a few people think. Of course, people have to be in a position where they’re ready to hear the message.

(Jack Brien) #28

This has been taken down due to copyright

(Vincent Hall) #29

On BBC i player for 28 days though.
\v/

(ianrobo) #30

just caught up on this and very mixed … they accepted the Insulin theory of getting fat from Carbs but then said we need to eat carbs to live so it become good I guess for those outside of our circle. They may watch this and cut down but for us it never went far enough …

However in general a VERY VERY positive programme and the vitriol I have seen on twitter from carb advocates shows it hit the spot !

(Janet) #31

Dr Unwin’s programme, in the small study at the end of this documentary.

NHS green light for Low Carb Program

(Cate) #32

Yes I read Dr.MM was reviewing the low carb /fasting diet. I tried 5:2 fasting but just didn’t enjoy it and didn’t feel well on it.

(Sarah Slancauskas) #33

Sourdough is the only bread I miss, too. A slice, toasted, with thick salted butter and a cup of coffee…
I personally find it hard to believe the science shown but even if it were true, I don’t think it’d have any influence on the carbs, which are obviously high.

(Vijay Bhakta) #34

I have taken to making toast for my other half and then sneaking a bite. 1g carb per bite I can get away with :slight_smile: