Nina Teicholz on Vegetable Oils and the US Dietary Guidelines - The Untold Story

science

(Bunny) #1

Reason for posting this: I am searching for cross-links (solid correlations) in the research between resistant starch (creates short chained fatty acids in the large intestines) and types of fat that are best for specific genotypes (nutrigenomic testing) as it relates to the ketogenic diet? So far I can find no research addressing this particular triangulation I am pondering which is somewhat enigmatic to me!

Nina Teicholz on Vegetable Oils and the US Dietary Guidelines:

Virta co-founders Dr. Stephen Phinney and Dr. Jeff Volek worked with The Ohio State University’s Food Innovation Center to convene a group of esteemed scientists and researchers to discuss recent progress in the science of low carbohydrate nutrition. The conference was hosted by the OSU Food Innovation Center and the video recordings were sponsored by Virta Health. OSU and Virta have decided to make these videos free and available to the public.

Nina Teicholz is a science journalist and the author of The Big Fat Surpris e, a New York Times bestseller. The Big Fat Surprise challenges conventional wisdom on dietary fat and U.S. nutrition policy. Teicholz is a founding member and the Executive Director of the Nutrition Coalition, where she advocates for evidence-based nutrition guidelines. Teicholz was formerly a reporter for National Public Radio and contributed to the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Washington Post, The New Yorker, and The Economist. Nina Teicholz has a Bachelor’s degree from Stanford and a Master’s from Oxford University.

Watch her presentation here:

You can find all of the conference videos here and at the Food Innovation Center.

Speakers at the conference discussed the molecular functions of ketones, treatment strategies for diabetes, cancer, metabolic, heart, and brain disorders, public policy and healthcare guidelines, the practical role of ketosis in sports, and more.

(Bunny) #2

…And

1. Keto Experiences at Restaurants - Craig Fear, Author
  1. Oxidized Fat - Michael Eades, Ph.D
  1. The Best Fat Intake For The Top 3 Genotypes: Which are you? - Dr. Alan Glen Christianson (Dr. C)
  1. Resistant starch and protein intake enhances fat oxidation and feelings of fullness in lean and overweight/obese women
  1. Resistant starch - ie: Cooling potatoes to make them low carb - Richard Morris

(Troy) #3

@atomicspacebunny Have you had the 23andme DNA testing yet?
Maybe you mentioned previously

And I am looking in to possibly getting the “ kit “ as well🙂

(Bunny) #4

I have not had any nutrigenomic testing, the reason is, that I have not had any major issues doing the Ketogenic diet/lifestyle. But I do plan on having a peek at GWAS in the near future!

I am suspicious that leaky gut and malnutrition (rips and tears in chromosomes) has more to do with this genotype nutrigenomic GWAS thing, I’m being lead to believe it is more about the lack of proper micronutrients that damage our chromosomes and that throws the mitochondrial (mtDNA) into dysfunction and that specific part of the mitochrial DNA cannot repair itself very well (why we age rapidly; cosmic radiation, atmospheric pressure variables) from micronutrient deficiencies damaging the chromosomes “… Because mitochondrial DNA has a limited ability to repair itself when it is damaged, these mutations tend to build up over time?…”

(Terence Dean) #5

A great list of video presentations by real experts in the ketogenic & scientific community. It’s amazing what they have researched already, and it won’t be long before ketogenics becomes main stream.

(Running from stupidity) #6

You Kiwis, always the optimists! I blame the All Blacks.

(Terence Dean) #7

Hahaha, you bloody aussies can talk! You still think you have a chance of rescuing the 3rd test against the Indians today. :rofl:

That’s optimism on steroids!! :crazy_face:

(Running from stupidity) #8

It’s currently raining, you know :slight_smile:

(Terence Dean) #9

Haha, there’s a heatwave coming…:fire: :fire: :fire: :rofl:

Aussies praying for rain. :kangaroo: :rainbow:

Apologies @atomicspacebunny , its an Aussie :australia: vs Kiwi :new_zealand: thing we can’t help it. I’m watching it now and the Indians are not using umbrellas yet! :umbrella:

(Lisa ) #10

And we just took out the test against Sri Lanka. :grin:

So according to this chap I’m supposed to eat more sunflower and canola oil, and almost none of the population should be having more than 30% calories from fat. I’m an APOE 3/4 and whilst I have heard a number of times I should be careful with saturated fats I’m not sure I want to jump on board with this advice…

(Terence Dean) #12

After watching Nina Teicholz’s presentation further up the page I personally wouldn’t go near vegetable oils, besides that guy is being too subjective for my liking. Each to their own. Dr Alan is not my “cup of tea”.

(Bunny) #13

Maybe some experimentation might come in handy and see how you might fair?

Look for improvements in blood work, vital signs, weight and how you feel etc…?

Well, I could try the saturated to monounsaturated switch but dropping my total fat to less than 30% of calories would basically mean quitting Keto, and eating lots of vegetable oil would be disregarding everything I’ve learned over the last year.

My cholesterol numbers are poor, they always have been but have gotten steadily worse on Keto, now total 290 mg/dl, trigs are 230, HDL 37, LDL 205. This is despite me getting healthier in every other respect, I’m 6ft tall and over the last 10 months dropped from 240lbs to 185lbs and a lot of underlying minor health issues seem to have vanished (GERD, joint pain etc, before I even lost most of the weight). Doctor thinks I have familial hypercholesterolemia but I’m not yet convinced, I think I need to be weight stable for 6 months before testing again and drawing that conclusion.

(Bunny) #15

What I mean by ‘experimenting’ is maybe types of fats in like ratios, like in parts %saturated (commercial livestock meats corn/grain fed or 100% grass fed {not grass finished}, no grain high carb fed meats/ = less saturated fats/can cook with) %monounsat (coconut, palm oils: can cook with it; little or minimal oxidation) %polyunsat (more fish in the diet or extra virgin cold pressed/non-hydrogenated/no heat or cooking with/fresh as possible; not sitting on a shelf for months)… just an added thought!

Eggs: “…You will notice that when you compare eggs, organic, free range eggs have a darker yolk. This darker yolk is representative of the higher nutritional content of the egg. (2) When we eat animals, what they eat is not lost - it is passed onto us. Organic free range hens are eating healthier food, and sometimes even have the opportunity to freely eat insects and plants. In comparison with non-organic hens who are fed foods such as GMO corn, the nutritional profile passed onto their eggs is substantial. (2) One study of 14 flocks of free range egg producers found that, in comparison to the USDA nutritional value for commercial eggs: (3)

1. ⅔ more vitamin A
  2. 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
  3. 3 times more vitamin E
  4. 7 times more beta carotene
  5. ⅓ less cholesterol
  6. ¼ less saturated fat …More