Leftover ham / bone

(jim Chiodo) #1

Is there anything in the way of soup that I can use a leftover Christmas ham bone with lots of mean stuck to it? Lentil, navy bean, etc don’t exactly fit Keto.

Lentil was always my favorite growing up and growing fat. in addition to lentils, I would always add macaroni, again, not Keto.

Any suggestions other than to give the bone to a dog?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

You could make a great bone broth from it, or perhaps a stew with cauliflower as the binder, instead of potato?

(Sophie) #3

I like to use mine for soup with cabbage and tomatoes.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

No pork bones for dogs! They splinter easily when chewed. If you make a stock and have extra from your soup pour it in ice cube trays and when it freezes put the cubes in a ziplock bag to use with veggies or sauces.

(Jo O) #5

Collard greens!!!

(Victoria ) #6

I popped mine into my pressure cooker today to flavor some previously made chicken bone broth. Now the enhaced broth is back in the Instant Pot with some cauliflower, sunchokes and a small bit of sweet potato for color (sunchokes are tasty but give a gray tint ) and flavor. I’ll purée the veg with an immersion blender and and add cream and herbs to finish.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

Sunchokes and sweet potatoes not so keto…wish sweet potatoes were though because I loved eating them roasted with some butter and s&p, especially the yellow ones.

(Victoria ) #8

Thanks, David, for your clarification. I know that sweet potato isn’t smart to overdo because of the carbs, but I was under the impression that sunchokes (a.k.a. Jerusalem artichokes) were okay due to the high inulin content. (See Richard’s posts in these threads.)

I guess we should always judge based on our individual carb tolerance (a bowl of my soup has only a spoonful or so of sweet potato) and whether you’re using keto to battle life-threatening illnesses like epilepsy or cancer.a

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

[quote=“KetoVee, post:8, topic:70407”]
but I was under the impression that sunchokes (a.k.a. Jerusalem artichokes) were okay due to the high inulin content. (See Richard’s posts in these threads.)

Good info, I just went off of an Atkins Carb Counter PDF that I downloaded. It’s a handy thing to have on my phone while grocery shopping when I see something that I’m not sure about. Sun chokes looked a bit high and I just wrote them off as non keto. Some people get gastric upset and gas from them, I haven’t eaten sunflower root more than a couple of times.

(Margaret G) #10

I made a French soup called garbure with ham bone broth and onion, celery, sliced cabbage, and other vegetables I had in the fridge. It was very tasty and satisfying.

(Sophie) #11

Sounds like what I’m doing today. I didn’t know it was French…will have to tell that to hubby! :smile::+1: