Recipe for homemade ghee

(Allie) #10

Looks like it will work

(Jane) #11

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

I’m fasting and this thread makes me want to make ghee anyway. Pictures are all lovely and ghee is expensive.

(Alex ) #13

i have to be honest, I’ve had it today with BPC coffee, and although the taste is `acquired’ - the energy hit from it is bloody awesome!

I’m on a zero carb day today, hovering around 800 calories in so far, the ghee is a game changer, I am definitely making more.

Takes about an hour for it to hit, then I’m on a bit of an energy high! I did a 15 minute workout earlier, and was going to have some eggs cooked in the ghee after, but the ghee BPC just blunted my hunger so well, I didnt bother.

(Allie) #14

Made more last night. I think I may have slightly over-cooked it as it has a slight caramel type smell to it now, but was just fine in my coffee :heart_eyes:

(Running from stupidity) #15

Yeah, same as mine from the other week. Except I overcooked mine even more :slight_smile:

(Allie) #16

I’ve been using my slightly over done ghee all week now and am finding I actually prefer it to the store bought ghee I have in the cupboard. It smells like caramel and has a different consistency to the store bought version, but I think in future I’ll be deliberately recreating it :grinning:

(Jane) #17

Mine has a slightly “browned butter” flavor to it, so probably not as done as yours but definitely more flavor than commercial ghee. And I agree - I like it better.

And the texture is a bit grainier but once it melts it doesn’t matter.

I found a 2-lb roll of butter on sale and going to use it to make more ghee once I use up the jar I made. That should work out to a QUART of ghee for $8 :star_struck:

(Alex ) #18

I finished mine off yesterday in some cooking. definitely prefer my coffee made with butter & coconut oil rather than the ghee, it just gives a more milky/creamy texture and flavour to it, but I do love the versatility of the ghee in that it was nice and soft!

I reckon I could feel a genuine energy hit from hit, about an hour after having 1-2 tablespoons, I was really buzzing!

Definitely making more once I have a few sticks of butter in.

(Alex ) #19

Tried a Version 2 - completely screwed it up and it’s ended up almost black!

Made the stupid mistake of also trying to strain it into a plastic protein shaker, which melted instantly!

Absolutely fucked the whole thing.

So it now has the consistency of ghee, but is near black, and smells like butterscotch - is this still safe to consume???

(Allie) #20

Mine smelt like butterscotch and it was lovely. I’d be a bit worried about the melted plastic though…

(Alex ) #21

I think most of that went down the sink (hopes) the protein shaker was literally above the sink hole and it all disappeared as I was pouring (along with the plastic sieve I was straining it with) - I put the rest straight into a glass jar through the cloth.

Such a nob! Although to be fair, it was fine using this method of straining last time! Clearly way hotter.

I’ve restrained it with a metal sieve, and put it in the fridge, seems a shame to waste 3 bars of Kerrygold.

Reckon the burned butter will be ok?

(Alex ) #22

there’s another thread on here; this is is exactly what I have in terms of colour… I think I’m going to keep it and try it in my coffee!

(mags) #23

Let us know how it goes. I’ve just got into ghee making and I love it. I have been making mine in a slow cooker but need to try stove top to try the caramel flavour.

(Allie) #24

Mine was really nice, so much so that I tried to recreate it but Tesco own brand butter doesn’t seem to burn as well :joy:

(Consensus is Politics) #25

Please, correct me if I’m wrong. Isnt Ghee just clarified butter? Is there a difference? I know I’ve made clarified butter for different recipes, don’t recall why it was needed, probably due to water content otherwise.

(Allie) #26

Yes it’s clarified butter but tastes very different. I prefer it to butter.

(Consensus is Politics) #27

Looks like i’ll be making some as well. How stable is the shelf life if it had added flavors? Garlic comes to mind. Maybe onion as well. Maybe even some jalapeños? Wait! Jalapeño and garlic! /woot

(Allie) #28

I really don’t know but may have to find out now you’ve mentioned it :joy: plain ghee is stable at room temperature.

(Consensus is Politics) #29

I left one out!

BACON GHEE!!