Post Induction Stall Syndrome PISS questions

Hello all. I’m 5 weeks into Keto with an 8 pound weight loss to date. I haven’t seen the scale move in two weeks and after reading about PISS am understanding a bit more. I started IF last week M-F because I wasn’t hungry. My question is related to women’s cycles: is not losing the week before and week of a normal occurrence? I did see an inch lost although the weight didn’t move. I expected more steady weight loss (or inches) in the beginning. I only lost for two weeks. Thoughts?

Keto Confused :-(
Please help, I’m stuck/gaining!
Newbie - Have I Plateaued?
No weight loss in week 2

Inches lost is a better measurement of success than a number on a scale. The “weight” can fluctuate greatly depending on how hydrated you are or other things.

My thoughts are that you’re on track, yes weight will fluctuate during Shark Week due to water retention, and you should go by the tape measure instead of the scale.

Thank you for your response. How long should I wait to make additional adjustments like dairy eliminations, more strict macros? I’m at 20-30 net carbs per day, 1300-1800 calories.

I would wait until you’re over a month of not losing inches to reasses.

Thanks again.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Don’t get hung up on the number the scale tells you. You want to be losing fat, not muscle or bone density. If you lost an inch, that means you lost some fat. If your scale didn’t change, that means you added some muscle or some bone density, the weight of which has compensated for the weight of the lost fat. This is not a bad thing. Bone density is good. Muscle is good. When we say “weight loss,” we should really all be saying “fat loss.” That would make it clearer what is really going on.

The moral of the story is: Give your body the time it needs to sort out its hormones. You may yet be pleasantly surprised by the results of this way of eating.

Also, I have been eating out on Saturday mornings. I always order vegetable omelets or scrambled eggs/bacon (Organic/high end restaurants only) but it dawned on me today that they may be using milk in the omelets or scrambled eggs, or the bacon may have added sugar. No hash browns, toast, etc obviously. I have not been asking about these added carbs through milk/sugar. Has anyone had an experience with hidden carbs in seemingly Keto Foods? 3 weeks of no weight loss and under 1500 calories seems very odd to me unless I’m missing something like hidden carbs. That Saturday morning meal is my only wildcard.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

It happens. The cure is to avoid commercial, processed food to the extent possible and eat fresh whole foods. In any case, if it has a nutrition label, look very carefully at both the label and the list of ingredients.

Restricting calories isn’t always helpful, even when eating low carbohydrate. The safest approach is to ignore calories and eat to satify hunger. In other words, eat only when hungry, and don’t eat when not hungry.