Keto Confused :-(

Hi All, I have been following Keto for 6 weeks … and TBH have found it really works for me I have lost 11pounds to date … however this week I seem to have stalled …no gain just no loss… obviously this has made been read lots of articles on Keto and made me think what have I done differently .I always cook with lots of spices ? I also drink Low Calorie Tonic? I have found a Keto cookbook deep in a kitchen draw and I have read this today … a tad confusing as the introduction states foods you can eat and foods you need to AVOID … I’ve noticed carrots are on the list of AVOID …however the recipes in the book contain carotts? Also it aspartame is a NO … but this is in low calorie Tonic Water ,… which I mix with my Gin …

Please Help …any other tips would be appreciated .

(Allie) #2

(Marianne) #3

Welcome and congratulations on your six weeks.

My advice is to keep your plan as simple as possible. Keep the carbs as low under 20g/day as you can and eat as cleanly as possible. This isn’t difficult for me as I don’t like to fuss in the kitchen or prepare elaborate recipes. Eat as cleanly as you can - foods in their natural state - beef, pork, chicken, sausage, bacon, cheese, heavy cream, butter, olive oil, some mayo, low carb veggies (broccoli, cabbage, spinach, greens, asparagus, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, etc.). Our dinners are mainly a pan seared or grilled piece of meat, cole slaw, and/or a steamed vegetable(s) in bacon grease or butter. Never tire of it.

I know artificial sweeteners are discouraged, but I don’t sweat having small amounts of them. Check how many carbs are in your tonic water. If it’s low, I’d be okay with it in moderation. I use a little artificial sweetener in my coffee every day and especially when I make keto ice cream. I don’t worry about it a small amount.

Carrots are high in carbs - any vegetable that is “sweet” or starchy (carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, etc.) are higher in carbs. When just starting out, I’d track your carbs for several weeks to make sure you are staying under 20g/day and also to learn the approximate carb values in the vegetables you most commonly eat. Dietdoctor.com is a great website for a visual of vegetables and their carb counts, plus a ton of other useful information presented in layman’s terms.

Eat appropriately, keep the carbs as low as you can, get enough fat and don’t worry about how quickly you are losing. It will come off. Know that your body is repairing and detoxifying itself from years of eating carbs and sugar.

Best.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Fat loss is not a linear process. There will be lots of variability, and it is nothing to be concerned about. Not losing for a week is simply to be expected. Also remember that the reading on your scale is not the only measure of progress, since it is possible to add lean tissue at the same time as losing fat. It is excess stored fat that you want to lose, not lean tissue mass.

Carrots are not recommended on this way of eating, because they contain a fair amount of sugar, but you can eat a small quantity. However, we recommend sticking to leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli and cauliflower. Avoid vegetables that grow below ground, as they tend to be starchy. Starches and grains should be avoided. Fruits tend to be excessively high in sugar, but berries have enough fibre in them to be relatively okay, if we don’t eat too much. Some nuts contain less carbohydrate than others, and make a good snack, as long as we don’t eat too much.

Artificial sweeteners can affect progress on a ketogenic diet, but they are certainly better for us than sugar.

Thank You for your advice I’m currently doing everything you suggest :+1:t2:

Thank You for your advice really appreciate it :+1:t2: