No weight loss in week 2

(Stephanie) #1

My husband and I are now in week 2 of our Keto journey. We were both successful with week 1, I lost about 7lbs. According to the urine tests we have been in ketosis since day 3.

Now we are into the second week and my weight is staying the same and he has gained. We are tracking our macro’s and run about 73% fat 23% protein and 4% carbs. I’m usually at 10g of net carbs per day. Calories are between 1400-1600 per day.
I have increased my water intake significantly as well as the tests indicated I was dehydrated.

My starting weight at 5’6 was 180lbs. So I have a fair bit to loose.

Any help would be appreciated. We want to stick to it as we both have great energy and enjoy eating this way vs another “diet”

(Ellen) #2

See the below, this isn’t something you should worry about.

(Cindy) #3

You lost 7 lbs in one week. Yes, a chunk of that is water weight, but you shouldn’t really expect more than 1-2 lbs of weight loss/week, so you’re well ahead of the average.

Keto is not a “lose weight quick” scheme. It’s about getting to fat-adaptation and sticking with it for the long-term, hormonal and other health benefits. So maybe put the scale away for a few weeks (even months) so you can focus on how you’re feeling vs what the numbers show. Otherwise (especially if you’re expecting weekly losses), you’re likely to be disappointed.

(MelissaH) #4

@Keto_in_toronto welcome to the forum!
What does a typical day of eating look like? Maybe with more info we can help you make a few tweaks. However, 7 lbs is great! You’re doing something right.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Weight loss is not linear. Ups and downs are to be expected. As you go along, you will find that a well-formulated ketogenic diet has so many advantages in addition to weight loss, that it is worth continuing for those reasons.

Myself, I am no longer pre-diabetic. I would love to lose another sixty pounds, but if I remain the same weight till I die, I will still be happy with this way of eating. I’ve basically eliminated my risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes, which are all far more considerations than my weight.