November IF/EF chat, all welcome!

(Mark Rhodes) #162

Just an update: 86 hrs into 120. Little lackluster today in the head. Salt, potassium and magnesium helped a little. I am awaiting the HGH peaking. Plan on leg day tonight, chest and shoulders tomorrow at 116 hrs. If I feel really good at 120 I’ll push up into the 130s. Just black coffee and water.

Question: Does anyone know a good cutoff point for low BG? I have dropped to 53mg/dl. I feel okay other than lackluster. Not really concerned but it is the first time in my 50s and wondering if a number in the 40s would be a reason to feed for health reasons. Blood pressure and pulse good and strong. No dizziness.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #163

I’m so happy for you. You my friend are an inspiration.

For me, Excedrin Migraine (includes caffeine). And then sleep.

Hey @LizinLowell,@Helewisa, @collaroygal and everyone, you all have been very busy this November, awesome. I have been in the functional medicine world trying to detox and only recently got the thumbs up from my doctor to do fasting (one 36-hour per week plus IF of two meals on my eating days). I fasted Sunday night into Tuesday morning, and ever since then I’ve been getting blood glucose numbers into the 100s, which for me is amazing (I was stuck for the past couple of months in the mid to upper 200s). I am still increasing the dose of the Symlin I am trying (experiment to see if it will stop my liver from kicking out excessive glucose), and there are many supplements involved. I suspect it is some combination of all of this that is starting to make a difference. I have even lost a few pounds this week, after having gained several (not fasting for a while and being out of ketosis).

I also have started tracking my food and all kinds of notes and readings in Chronometer, which I really like. I want to see how my diet really looks when I write it down, and to try to bring it back into a keto range. Even with net carbs, I am up around 40 but my ketones right now are 0.9, so that’s not nothing!

I am starting my next fast this evening into Saturday morning. My lowest blood glucose this week was 150 (this afternoon) so I am hoping another 36-42 hour fast will knock things down another notch.

(KCKO, KCFO) #165

So happy for you. I know those high numbers had you upset. Congrats on the weight loss too.

Happy fasting.

(Liz ) #166

So glad you are finally getting the results you need! Appreciate the update. Keep us posted!

(Liz ) #167

Well my weight is creeping up and I haven’t done anything different! LOLOLOL I hate my scale LOLOLOL. Anyway,I assume it’s water weight and will work its way back out again as I KCKO. I’ve done a few 20:4s the past few days, today I’ll do like, an 18:6. Macros look fantastic. It’s still all a huge mystery to me.

I wish I was Zornfasting with everyone this month but I really have to coordinate my extended fasts in advance as I cook all the dinners for me and my husband and I really like to give him a heads up when I’m not going to be doing that so he can plan his own meals and I failed to do that this week.

I plan all our meals for the week on Sunday and if it’s stuff that will go bad if I don’t cook it and I can’t freeze it then I will eat on the regular schedule and forego fasting. I still only eat when hungry but don’t ever like to waste food from the fridge especially when I am so precise about how much we have and how many meals it covers. Virgo FTW :smile:

For Thanksgiving next week we’ll go to my SiL’s in Rhode Island. I’m going to try making an unsweetened pumpkin pie with an almond meal crust and unsweetened whipped cream. I’m likely the only one who will eat that but hey, I’d like to see if it’s my thing. I really don’t like artificial sweeteners and I’m curious how the pie will taste to me as nothing I eat is sweet anymore so regular things taste sweeter.

Other than that I expect to eat turkey and hopefully some green beans. That’s about it! I’ve been some form of low carb since 2003 so I don’t get tempted by the other sides and desserts anymore though I love the way they look on the table. Cheers to you all!

Darcy, this is great news for you! Funny, I was just thinking of you this morning as I washed my dishes and listened to the obesity code podcast #6 :slight_smile:

It sounds like you are on a good path of healing, weight loss, carbs at 40g and ketones at 09. Wow! I am so excited for you to find the answers to the puzzle of “you”!

I just started my fast last night (much later than originally planned). I really need to fast for my health just now as well as for my spirit. I have been feeling somewhat less anxious, although life is still of many uncertainties for my family with no fixed point to pin any hopes on either. Except, of course, my Savior, so, I need to keep things in perspective!

Note to self and any who may wonder: Weight loss will not happen whilst eating more fat than you require, just because it’s all you can eat and you want to fill your face with something due to your emotional turmoil while keeping it Keto! Therefore, I believe that there IS something to the CICO model and I am one of those who can overdo, even on Keto. Noted! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And so, a fast for body, mind, and spirit, a reset before the Thanksgiving holiday with the intent of not using this fast as an excuse and springboard for gorging.

Keep calm and Fast On Keto family! :smiley:

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #169

I believe that, too!

lol!

I love listening to podcasts when I’m doing boring stuff (driving, housework) - helps the time fly by, and always learning new things.

I hope to someday have time to dive into the issue of KICO and whether/how much it is relevant to keto. Since hearing about Karen Ogilvie on the dude’s podcast, I’ve been listening to some of the Impulsive Keto videos on YouTube, and they are definitely NOT fans of the eat-as-much-fat-as-you-want philosophy. They even say that if you are IF-ing and only eating two meals that day, treat your protein/food amounts in general as though you have eaten a third meal, not to combine everything you would have eaten into those two meals and have these two high-calorie meals. On the other hand, Dr. Fung warns against not eating enough on days between fasts, so how does one figure out what is the right thing for them? N=1!

It has been good to do a little fasting, though I called it early today. I blame it on the lady at the grocery store who was bagging the bulk nuts. I asked if the macadamias were roasted and salted, so she gave me one to sample. Fast over! (Good excuse for the fast to be over… I was feeling pretty hungry during this one, maybe because I’m not used to keeping my fat servings reasonable like I was the last couple of days.) My last blood glucose reading before really eating something was 136, down from 212 this morning. Overall, trending down, feeling good about that.

KCKO/KCFO!

(Liz ) #171

Ok I decided, my belly is full & the fridge is empty, starting a fast right now! Aiming for 72 hours, but willing to be flexible.

Also totally interested in the topic of calories in regards specifically to women & Keto I’m pretty sure I have to keep my numbers in pretty strict ranges or I stall. Lately I’ve been trying to creep my calorie intake up to at least start at higher metabolism before I try a deficit.

Ever since I hit a 35 pound weight loss my hunger has increased!! Argh. I can still fast no problem, though, as I still have at least 25 extra pounds to work with. I am currently 7 pounds above my lowest fasted weight which is frustrating. I don’t love treading water but I really do not like going backwards.

SO! Here I go into a multi day fast & when I come out the other side I’m going to watch my macro numbers very carefully & see if I can hold onto my losses.

(James Taylor) #172

What recipe are you using Liz?

(Liz ) #173

This one I found from a link someone posted somewhere on the forums, sorry I lost the link. I always print recipes out so I can write on them & note changes. Then if they work out I put them in a plastic sleeve in a 3 ring binder.

I’m going to leave out the sweetener & I’m making a crust from almond meal.

I hear what you’re saying with the concern about sufficient intake between fasts and quantity of fats. All of those things swirl through my mind, in between housework and work and knitting and weightlifting, and etc. hahaha!

As for your cutting the fast short over macadamias, this sounds lovely really. I can’t find good macadamias in my camp, so to speak. Too far from the source I suppose and they are very susceptible to going rancid. And any fast is a good fast, remember that. You have done yourself some good and are far ahead of the majority who still see fasting as pure hell and starvation, dangerous and insane!

@KetoKailey I am convinced that I have been overeating the fat which doesn’t allow my body to burn its own stores and rather forces me to add a bit back I’m afraid! I am guilty of eating butter by the teaspoon full and repeat. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Meanwhile, I’m at hour 34 in my fast, past the greatest hurdle of day one and feeling lively and focused. Hooray, I pray I keep remembering just how much I enjoy a fast and can begin to find the courage and willpower to implement them more frequently.

So yes, KCKO/KCFO :smiley:

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #175

A-ha! I knew my looking at butter that way is not unusual. Most mornings, I bite a little off the butter I put in my coffee.

Lost .7 pound from last week. Not bad I think for someone on HWC some days. BUT, for a fact now, HWC makes me difficult to go :laughing:. Hello, magnesium :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

And I am climbing the carb ladder nearly 40g on average this week and staying in ketosis. But makes me NERVOUS. Will cut back to 30g this week starting…

Just finished my first ever 72hr Zorn Fast! Woo Hoo! Now back to IF.

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #177

Congratulations!

This sounds downright sacrilegious, decadent or illegal and oh so tempting! Congratulations on the weight loss too and Mg is essential! Although I wish I didn’t care for it HWC is just plain delicious and I have a hard time not overdoing when I do allow it into my day.

I’m going to listen to the podcast with Karen Ogilvie now…keep knitting eating salt and drinking tea.
Oh sheesh, they’re (podcast) talking about eating too much fat, yep, that’s me. Metabolically deranged nearly 52 year old, peri-menopausal and a decades-long yo-yo dieter…ugh. I need to remember that whole satiety “thing” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

HOORAY!!! Congratulations @MI_Girl75
How do you feel?

Honestly, I have felt so normal through this whole thing I don’t know if I just did everything wrong or maybe I did everything right? I had black coffee, herbal tea, Powerade Zero & bone broth each day along with salt on the tongue. I broke the fast with olives about an hour before my meal. shrug My AT6000 showed my highest ketone reading ever yesterday and this morning. I will plan on the Zorn Fast again next month and KCKO! :smile:

Excellent, you are an official poster child for fasting :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: